Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Carrey in the 90s
(08-23-2019, 06:04 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Is the Dumb and Dumber sequel just unanimously hated? Should I bother at all?

Don't bother. It goes passed being bad and ends up just depressing.
I don't remember trailers or commercials for The Mask. That was an odd experience in that, somehow, I ended up at the theater to see it without even knowing it existed until the moment I saw the poster and realized that was what we were watching. So, maybe for that reason, it left a positive impression on me. I probably should rewatch it. Last time I saw it (which couldn't have been any later than '03 or '04) I was surprised at how much the FX held up..
I need to re-watch Liar Liar, The Truman Show and Me, Myself & Irene to give them fair assessments, but I still enjoy the heck out of Dumb and Dumber, The Cable Guy and Eternal Sunshine. The Mask is a decent light-hearted loser goes to hero story. 

Carrey's SNL appearance in 1996 made for a good episode in my book. His Roxbury Bros. sketch is my favorite one. 

The original Ace Ventura still has funny moments in the first act, but even as a kid, I found the second half of the film to drag. The whole transphobia involving Sean Young's villain is rather cringeworthy in 2019. The sequel has a couple funny parts (the Monopoly bit and the shot of a naked Ace crawling out of a rubber rhino's ass), but overall not good. Even as a 11-year old seeing it at a friend's birthday party with other Carrey fans, we found it disappointing. 

Batman Forever is terrible, yet Carrey could have killed it had he been given better material and not told to shout all his lines. What a waste.
I distinctly remember a consensus among my circle of friends that WHEN NATURE CALLS was the superior film in the duology.  Perhaps to a pre-adolescent it's paced better.

I'm not in a hurry to find out what my position would be now, but the movie surely has highlights, mostly involving Ian McNeice, that cannot all be distorted by nostalgia...right?  The rhino scene makes me laugh just thinking about it, not because of the "birthing" climax that as I recall got all the big laughs, but just the initial premise of Ace somehow constructing a mechanical rhinoceros for the prosaic purpose of eavesdropping on an outdoor conversation.  Ace working those huge, impractical levers as he announces "Don't mind me...I'M JUST A CURIOUS LITTLE RHINO!" kills me.  I dunno -- I better not look back.  Though I doubt anything in that movie is more dated than the choice to parody CLIFFHANGER in the opener.

We apparently came reasonably close to a proper THE MASK 2 with Carrey/Russell, to the point where Nintendo Power Magazine (!) had a sweepstakes where you could win a walk-on cameo in the film.  The story is that Carrey's disillusionment with filming WHEN NATURE CALLS turned him off to the idea of revisiting previous characters and he pulled out, ultimately holding fast to his "no sequels" rule until 2014.  We probably dodged a bullet there, because even though the aborted sequel would have likely been exponentially better than THE SON OF MASK a decade later, the latter feels so separated from the original (at least based on the trailers) that it doesn't tarnish it the way a direct sequel might have.
THE MASK was very much of its time. Recently rewatched out of curiosity. Some bits hold up but overall it's a bright, thin mess. Peak Diaz aside, of course.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(08-23-2019, 11:18 PM)MichaelM Wrote: THE MASK was very much of its time. Recently rewatched out of curiosity. Some bits hold up but overall it's a bright, thin mess. Peak Diaz aside, of course.

Peak.

Bummed but not surprised to be in such a minority in loving THE MASK.  More "Hey Pachuco" for me, I guess.

Irrespective of what one thinks of the final product, the movie does have an interesting development history.  For those unfamiliar with the comic it's based on, it's a much darker and more violent source -- a product of the "Splatterpunk" movement in horror literature/comics.  At one point in the late 80s, New Line invited Splatterpunk writers to pitch ideas for A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 5, and the influence was apparently a two-way [elm] street, as the comic version of The Mask is basically an ersatz Freddy Krueger, right down to delivering one-liners when butchering his enemies.

New Line was keen on adapting The Mask as a movie precisely because they saw it as their next "Elm Street" franchise, and approached Chuck Russell of DREAM WARRIORS to direct it.  Russell rebelled at the idea of making an Elm Street rehash and convinced the studio of the more lighthearted, Tex Avery inspired approach of the final product.  It was doubtless the right choice both creatively and commercially, though with this much distance, and given a climate where all comic properties are movie adaptations waiting to happen, I'd wager a more faithful cinematic take on the original material is a plausible eventuality.
(08-23-2019, 02:51 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Pretty much on board with Ovie.

Especially about Diaz and Allen.

I'll second that motion. The most memorable thing about those 90's Carrey vehicles were the INSANELY hot women. I'd also add Rebecca Ferratti from Ace Ventura to the list.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
(08-23-2019, 06:04 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: I haven't seen Dumb and Dumber in decades but I remember laughing like an absolute asshole at it. And I don't even much care for comedies. Dumb and Dumber was also memorable because of that AWESOME MORTAL KOMBAT TRAILER! When you're 13 that's pretty bad ass...and seeing as there was no easy access to trailers at the time....yeah. Awesome. Is the Dumb and Dumber sequel just unanimously hated? Should I bother at all?

Never cared for The Cable Guy...though I get the love. Just wasn't for me. One of the first pan and scan movies I ever saw that REALLY called attention to itself with those super unnatural looking pan and scan movements (see also: Multiplicity...must've been a Columbia/Tri-Star thing).

Despise The Truman Show. Ed Harris stole the movie however.

I continue to be baffled at how positive my memories of Batman Forever are despite knowing how bad that movie is. Just must've been the perfect movie at the perfect time and I was the perfect age. It might be the most 90s movie ever..

Very similar takes on all of these. 

The Cable Guy is an excellent concept for a film and I agree with Overlord that it feels downright prescient in its themes and characters... That is one I am going to say, "No comment," on, as I should give it another look soon.

Batman Forever is the same way for me. Don't care how awful it is; there was just something about that movie at that time. That may be due to Nicole Kidman teaching me the idea of, "That is a woman," and likely prematurely jump-starting my puberty by a fair number of years. 

I remember Carrey taking camp to new extremes and "over-the-topness" in Batman Forever. But as far as he goes, he seemed watchable and comfortable with it. Always seemed like the screenplay just was not quite strong enough to help him out, but that vaguely depressing air he has about him early on makes his Riddler feel like a kind of "LARP" activity, and last time I looked at the film I remember finding myself enjoying that aspect of it. Tommy Lee Jones is pretty much lost in that movie, which also hurts Carrey since they team up so much later on, but while it will never be among Carrey's highlights, it has been so thoroughly trashed that it is probably "underrated" nowadays.
(08-23-2019, 11:40 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 11:18 PM)MichaelM Wrote: THE MASK was very much of its time. Recently rewatched out of curiosity. Some bits hold up but overall it's a bright, thin mess. Peak Diaz aside, of course.

Peak.

Peak.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Diaz’s introductory scene in THE MASK changed me as a man.
(08-23-2019, 01:51 PM)Mangy Wrote: "Big Gulps huh? Well...later!"

That moment more than any other represents Carrey's comic genius to me. It's such a nothing moment and a nothing line, but Carrey makes it sing.
I think Me, Myself and Irene is my fave. It's got some obnoxious stuff in it, but it's got to be the most R-rated thing Carrey's ever done. There's some insane shit in there. The deleted scenes in particular are crazy. There's a very multi-scene runner in there where Carrey buys a watermelon, puts in the oven, carves a hole in it and fucks it, because he's got a crush on Renee Zellweger.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(08-26-2019, 02:10 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: I think Me, Myself and Irene is my fave. It's got some obnoxious stuff in it, but it's got to be the most R-rated thing Carrey's ever done. There's some insane shit in there. The deleted scenes in particular are crazy. There's a very multi-scene runner in there where Carrey buys a watermelon, puts in the oven, carves a hole in it and fucks it, because he's got a crush on Renee Zellweger.

And isn't it the "nice" personality doing all that?
Yes. That movie is deranged.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Paul Thomas Anderson is a fan.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/...-1.3365845

Quote:“I thought I was making a comedy with Thomas Pynchon’s Inherent Vice. But then things got weirder and more emotional than I had anticipated. You know that bit in Ace Ventura 2 when Jim Carrey comes out of the ass of a rhinoceros? If I could create just one moment in a movie like that, that would be something.”
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(08-26-2019, 11:41 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: Paul Thomas Anderson is a fan.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/...-1.3365845

Quote:“I thought I was making a comedy with Thomas Pynchon’s Inherent Vice. But then things got weirder and more emotional than I had anticipated. You know that bit in Ace Ventura 2 when Jim Carrey comes out of the ass of a rhinoceros? If I could create just one moment in a movie like that, that would be something.”

Even foodies like a cheeseburger every once in a while.
I will also go to bat for "Greenwald, hit the lights!" and the scene where Ace "tortures" the warden of Shawshank and then his mea culpa when he realizes he got the wrong guy.  And of course:

"This took you eighty years to achieve!"
"It's okay.  I don't like it any more."
Here's a nice article about the topic in question, and one specifically commemorating the 25th anniversary (!) of THE MASK.