Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EL CAMINO (A Breaking Bad Movie)

[Image: el-camino-breaking-bad-movie-poster-netf...:963,smart]

I'm psyched. Might as well let the speculation begin.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Neat. Usually I'm against revisiting a property like this, but I'll check this one out.
One of the very few things I thought the final season of BREAKING BAD might have provided and did not was a reprisal of Pinkman's parents.  If Skinny Pete saw what happened to Jesse on the news, surely Tess Harper did.
I wrote my thoughts on the whole thing here: http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=161459

I honestly thought I was gong to be lukewarm on the project just because I was so happy with how they ended things with Pinkman on the show. I love how ambiguous it was and the shot of him sobbing as he drove away stuck with me. That being said, Vince Gilligan has proven himself about a million times and I can’t deny that I want to return to that world again.

Cranston has to pop up in this somehow, right? I speculated that he’ll be a “force ghost” in the movie but I would be SHOCKED if he doesn’t show up in one way or another.
The conclusion to Pinkman's arc was one of the few things that left me dissatisfied. Ambiguity is fine but his story leaned too far in the likely direction of lasting trauma and eventual capture by the police, so I'm glad they're getting a chance to tie it all up.

As for Cranston, it's not really the type of show to do "force ghost" but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of flashback.
Jesse should have gotten in that van that would have led him to a new life and he wouldn't have been turned into a meth-making slave for a bunch of Neo-Nazis. And honestly as a good an actor as Aaron Paul is, Jesse was never a character I was crazy about on BB. He was still great, but I mean in comparison to Walt, Gus, Mike, or even Hank, I was always luke warm on Jesse.

Still, I'd like to see what they do with his character and a movie was certainly the way to go with this. Unlike Better Call Saul, this would have never worked as a weekly series.
Loved Pinkman, but it always felt like he got short shrift during that final stretch (which I thought had as much to do with Paul's busy post-BB schedule more than anything).
I've seen some interesting speculation that Walt may have actually survived, and the authorities need Pinkman as an eyewitness. I could definitely see them going that route, as it's plum with dramatic potential. 

I'm just happy to spend a little more time in this world, and yes: Gilligan has proven himself time and time again.  If he came out tomorrow and said his next project was a 12 hour documentary on paint drying, I'd be in line to pre-order it.
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
No way Walt survives. They aren't undoing the ending of Breaking Bad, especially since then the story could never really be about Jesse. It'd feel extremely unsatisfying to make Walt a tertiary character.
Walt surviving would be lousy, especially considering the last time we saw him was the unblinking, VERY DEAD expression on his face as the cops swooped in.

Based on the coyness of that THR article though, it seems they'll definitely have Walt show up via flashback or dream sequence.
Seems like Pinkman ain't getting that happy ending we all hoped he would. But I guess that's par for the course for the type of show Breaking Bad is.

you're gonna carry that weight.
"There's only one question to resolve. I'm scared. I feel a little crazy. I'm not lucid. The assumptions are right. I can feel my fear growing. Now is the time for the answer. Just one question. One question to answer.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
[i]WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

[/i]

Walt being alive would instantly take the knees out from under what is universally agreed on as one of the TV finales in recent memory that everyone mostly liked and agreed stuck the landing.
home taping is killing music
Walt NOT dying, you mean?
Yeah, Walt being alive. It's early.

It would be a hell of a thing if this was actually a sequel to Breaking Bad AND Better Call Saul, and the person they need Jesse to testify against is Saul.
I would feel better about this if Breaking Bad wasn't, top to bottom, one of the most flawlessly conceived and executed things ever. Undoing (or maybe more accurately amending) perfection is a minefield. I mean....imagine if they made something new to add to Dexter. That would cause so much less hand wringing and rightfully so..
Walt coming back in flashback form must be a sure thing. Anyone checked up on Cranston's hair length recently?

I'm okay with them making this. Jesse was an aspect of the finale that never sat right with me, it felt less like an open ending and more like a lot of business being left unfinished, and the teaser plays into that quite well. You could probably base an entire series on the continuing adventures of Jesse, but this should do.

I kind of like the idea of making this a dual coda to both BB and Saul, but I'm guessing since there's at least a couple more seasons of that show still to go, it probably won't be.
I could see this project not working, but as with BETTER CALL SAUL, I think they're smart enough to not do anything that would retroactively hurt BB.

EDIT: Paul, I agree that Jesse's story was a less satisfying aspect of the finale. For me, that extends to much of the final stretch of episodes, where Jesse's basically a tortured meth gimp.
(09-23-2019, 09:07 AM)boone daniels Wrote: Walt being alive would instantly take the knees out from under what is universally agreed on as one of the TV finales in recent memory that everyone mostly liked and agreed stuck the landing.

Ohh no way is Walt alive, that much is true. I mean unless........https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/131...the-anasta
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I will be seeing this theatrically under inconvenient circumstances, so it is good to know this was shot with the budget and schedule of a feature film (8 weeks of shooting versus the 8 days an average Bad/Saul episode gets) to justify my effort.
My body is ready to sit on my couch and watch this on "opening day."
the empire never ended
(09-23-2019, 09:09 PM)wasp Wrote: My body is ready to sit on my couch and watch this on "opening day."

Well I have a projector and surround system so if I believe hard enough I can convince myself im in a theater.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Woah. Full trailer. Not sure who that is at the end. Sounds like Michael Douglas, who it obviously is not.

https://twitter.com/aaronpaul_8/status/1...07168?s=20
"I don't do tag-teams with blood relatives". Kenny Powers.
If you watch the Emmy teaser they released, the radio report lists 9 adult males dead at the scene.

That would be the 8 Nazis + Walt that were there. Putting to bed any ideas of Walt actually being alive which would have been FUCK AWFUL.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
I would bet anything the voice is Kyle Chandler. That's who I heard.
(09-24-2019, 09:10 AM)bluelouboyle Wrote: Woah. Full trailer. Not sure who that is at the end. Sounds like Michael Douglas, who it obviously is not.

https://twitter.com/aaronpaul_8/status/1...07168?s=20
Holy hell. CHILLS.
Wait, there's more money buried out in the desert? I thought they took all of it?
Seems like you're supposed to think it's Cranston.
I initially thought it might be Robert Forster's character, but listening to it again, it doesn't sound like anybody we know.
It looks like Jesse looks for the money but it's all gone. And he's pissed off. Although wasn't Jesse competely uninterested in the money by the end?
"I don't do tag-teams with blood relatives". Kenny Powers.
(09-24-2019, 02:11 PM)bluelouboyle Wrote: It looks like Jesse looks for the money but it's all gone. And he's pissed off. Although wasn't Jesse competely uninterested in the money by the end?

Yeah it's probably easy to say but then like you are free, running from the law and you can't just go get a job.

Also there is money hidden somewhere, maybe he figured something out while he was a meth slave.
(09-24-2019, 02:11 PM)bluelouboyle Wrote: It looks like Jesse looks for the money but it's all gone. And he's pissed off.  Although wasn't Jesse competely uninterested in the money by the end?

The premise of the movie seems to be that the cops are looking everywhere for Jesse, so I'd guess the money is just a means of escape- at least at first.

I don't think the showdown at the end is meant to imply anybody we might know.  Just that Jesse isn't going to be able to get out of this without, y'know, killing people.
Todd's uncle Jack offered to buy his life from Walt with the money they stole from him.  To the extent that we can find him credible this means that the Nazis hadn't spent through all six of the money barrels (estimated at $10 million a drum) and thus have them stashed somewhere.  As a prisoner of the compound for so long, Jesse could be in a position to know the whereabouts.
I'm not doing a rewatch, can someone remind me approximately how long Jessie was a meth cook slave?
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Six months, or thereabouts?