Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EL CAMINO (A Breaking Bad Movie)
(10-13-2019, 02:25 AM)Evi Wrote: That interrogation scene was actually directed by a friend of mine, so I think it was always meant to be just a teaser.

Pretty cool!  And I suppose that makes sense, though it is clear enough, timeline-wise, where it belongs in the story.  I am happy it exists because now we know Hank and Gomie's portraits hang in a place of honor at the police station.

I thought it was kinda funny how Jesse's parents were included in this only to be hoodwinked once again by their son.  Jesse did get to tell them goodbye, after a fashion, but their purpose as characters primarily seems to be narrative suckers.
(10-14-2019, 10:18 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(10-14-2019, 08:23 AM)farsight Wrote: Forster gave the cops a wrong description and direction to look. They couldn't possibly have caught Jesse.

The guy rakes in $125k every time a criminal needs help, and he voluntarily spends his days running a vacuum cleaner store. He's COMMITTED.

Sure but they weren't far from catching him either. What if Jesse had shot at the cops? He didn't have a gun at that point but he couldn't know that for certain. It's a cute moment that I really like but it doesn't quite hold up.

Also he kind of has to have that store right? I mean you can't write disappear...er? on your tax return.

Jesse told him and showed him that he didn't have a gun.

And sure, a criminal needs a front... but he doesn't have to WORK there! He could hire a guy to sit there and not sell vacuums! Or just be closed every day... who'd notice (or care)?

He's COMMITTED!
Gamertag: Tweakee
I liken it to Gus actually managing Los Pollos to the extent of taking out the trash.  Maintaining a proper front means going all the way.

Also, there's something to be said for having a day job to stay sane.  Ed may have come by his repairman career honestly in an earlier life, and likes the stability/occupation of a 9 to 5 between printing out phony licenses and shuttling clients to their new starts. One of the themes of this show has been the inability of the characters to safely or easily spend the vast sums they've illicitly accumulated. Mike quietly put it all in his granddaughter's bank account, and even that didn't work out.
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1...-el-camino
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(10-13-2019, 04:15 PM)farsight Wrote: (Spoilers)

BB ends with Jesse escaping and driving away.

El Camino ends with Jesse escaping and driving away.

Better Call Saul feels "essential" because we're learning a great deal about the character and the world around him.

El Camino feels inessential because we don't really learn anything new about the plot or the characters. They are who we thought they were.

Luckily Paul, Gilligan and the rest knock it out of the park on every count other than the plot, so it works.

Considering that I felt Jesse was served very poorly by the final season of BB, which relegated him to almost an afterthought, I'll take El Camino as "the real BB finale" and be quite happy.
I liked the movie but I don’t think you’re wrong here.  I really wish El Camino focuses more on what Mike tells him in that flashback: “No, you can never make things right.”  I really wish the movie played with whether Jessie deserved redemption.  He may have been the show’s bleeding heart—he’s both complicit and directly responsible for some terrible things.  As a famous show once said—“you gon carry that weight.”  And yeah I know I’m saying that aware that Jessie has, in many ways, been paying for it throughout BB.  But I would have liked to see a little bit of that moral ambiguity that’s featured in both BB and BCS.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Well I mean, in BB he escapes in a situation where he looks like he's traumatised for life. In El Camino, he finds a measure of peace. Unlike Walt, Jesse's always had relatively humble ideals (being a bush pilot in New Zealand, building that wooden box in shop) and El Camino's essentially an extension of that. It's not flashy but I do think it ties a ribbon around Jesse's arc that Felina didn't manage to do. He might be literally the only person who ends the show better off than he started.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I thought at first we were going to have a scenario where Jesse rescues the hookers, but when they got out of the van and were clearly not being coerced or forced, that went right away.

Yeah, all of this is stuff you could just assume happened after Jesse drove away in the finale, but it was still totally involving. The sequence with the (ultimately fake) cops in particular.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's