Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FACE/OFF Remake: Because It's 2019 and We're in Hell
More like Fuck/Off, amirite?

I have a lot of rage towards the nerve of attempting a remake of my favorite movie of all time, but there's reason this should not work. More than so many action movies, Face/Off endures because the absurd premise is believably grounded. It's because it's John Woo's most ubiquitous Hollywood film, one of very few that he got stateside that feels out and out like something he could've done in Hong Kong. And John Travolta and Nicolas Cage own those roles in a way that I can't see anyone else playing these roles.

Anyway, no more drugs for whoever got this idea.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
From the writer of THE CLOVERFIELD PARADOX.
This is going to have so much face swapping it will make MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 2 stand up and shout "LESS IS MORE!".
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Feels like a movie that's being made because of memes.

If they get some weird director for this I might be interested. That this point I couldn't give a shit.

(09-09-2019, 10:36 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: From the writer of THE CLOVERFIELD PARADOX.

From the writer of the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog movie.
(09-09-2019, 10:39 PM)simbob Wrote: Feels like a movie that's being made because of memes.

If they get some weird director for this I might be interested. That this point I couldn't give a shit.

(09-09-2019, 10:36 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: From the writer of THE CLOVERFIELD PARADOX.

From the writer of the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog movie.

Was just thinking the same, that the only shot this has is to be given to some truly odd director, like a Debra Granik or someone. Go for a completely diferent aesthetic and mood. Bring someone in (like Ben Foster?) who's especially strong at conveying a kind of alienation of self that would be lugubrious with other thespians for the actor who plays the "good guy" for 80% of the film's running time. Work against the image of the '90s John Woo excess and make it down and dirty, like the way the Daniel Craig-era James Bond films feel more grounded versus the Pierce Brosnan-era movies. 

Not that I'm advocating that this film exist, but if they want to take a stab at making something that is not just a meme itself, these are my suggestions. There's no way they can recapture the manic, operatic John Woo Hong Kong Peak Nicolas Cage energy that the original film boasted. Best to work against it. They can even crib from Martin Scorsese a bit if they wish to, as the closest thing the U.S. has had to a remake of Face/Off in many ways is The Departed, which itself was a remake of a Hong Kong film that was doubtless at least partially inspired by Face/Off.
Interesting, yeah I was going to say there's no way you could make a better action movie remake of Face/Off and any attempt is just going to end in disappointment, so yeah trying the story with a very different tone could work.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Do it with two women.
home taping is killing music
Margot Robbie v. Jodie Comer
Or one man and one woman.

Charlize and Statham.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(09-09-2019, 11:27 PM)barry woodward Wrote: Margot Robbie v. Jodie Comer

I bust your balls a lot, Barry, but let the record show that this is a fantastic idea.
What about ScarJo and a tree??
Michael Cera and Jesse Eisenberg

Or just do what Look Who's Talking franchise did and just have it be two talking dogs.
(09-09-2019, 11:18 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Do it with two women.

Elisabeth Moss in a dual role.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
If they did away with the literal face replacement surgery and just swapped brains or consciousnesses, they wouldn't be confined by height, weight, gender or race when casting the leads.
But if you take away the surgery then you probably lose the "Take one goddamn guess" bit.
(09-09-2019, 11:59 PM)huntertarantino Wrote:

Elisabeth Moss in a dual role.

Michael Keaton and have it be a spiritual sequel to Multiplicity.  You'll thank me later.
What if it's one actor and you just turn his face inside out?
What if they just swap dicks?
If you want to go with one actor playing both parts, Tatiana Maslany is your Hucklemary.
80's recast with Keith David and David Keith.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
(09-10-2019, 12:08 AM)carnotaur3 Wrote: What if they just swap dicks?

That was the problem with the first one. Didn't the wife know that this wasn't her husband's dick when they had sex?
If this movie happens, it should definitely have more Castor Troy without a face.

I guess Castor Troy is in a position to do that, but I can't seem them actually going there.
I agree that this seems like a movie being made because of memes

especially since there’s nothing particularly extraordinary about “freaky Friday but with action” as a premise
I've been suffering under the delusion for the past 22 years that there's an unrated director's cut of FACE/OFF cooling in some Paramount vault. I'm almost assuredly wrong on this, but the Woo action scenes always felt a little bit neutered in the editing.

My point is, if they bring this full-on ultra-violent version that my imagination tells me is real to Blu-ray... I'll allow this false pretender remake to exist.
(09-10-2019, 02:16 AM)Nooj Wrote: especially since there’s nothing particularly extraordinary about “freaky Friday but with action” as a premise

The extraordinary thing was having 2 of the planet's most distinct actors impersonating each other, the film won't be half as interesting unless they find 2 actors/actresses who are just as idiosyncratic in their styles.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
that they were able to go as BIG and HAMMY as they did with a director like Woo, is the appeal of the movie
I've seen people making suggestions such as Emily Blunt and Anne Hathaway and sure, they're amazing actresses and all but having them impersonate each other just sounds boring as hell.
it really does
Let's talk more about how and why this is one of your favorite movies of all time. That's the real gem here.
(09-10-2019, 05:05 AM)Nooj Wrote: it really does
 Cast actresses with a more gonzo energy, like Eva Green or Cate Blanchett and I'm in.
oooh that’s good

and they’ve both been around long enough with such strong work that we already have a certain amount of onscreen baggage/personas to chew into
Cast Cage and Travolta again but keep it a remake and not a sequel. Having those guys center stage again after the weird-ass roads their careers have taken would have me in a seat. Give them the most outrageous hairpieces they've worn to date.

Just saw in the other thread that someone already suggested this very idea. I'll be on my way now.
(09-10-2019, 06:46 AM)Evi Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 05:05 AM)Nooj Wrote: it really does
 Cast actresses with a more gonzo energy, like Eva Green or Cate Blanchett and I'm in.

This.  This so fucking much.

And get the Crank guys to direct it.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

(09-10-2019, 04:37 AM)Evi Wrote: The extraordinary thing was having 2 of the planet's most distinct actors impersonating each other, the film won't be half as interesting unless they find 2 actors/actresses who are just as idiosyncratic in their styles.
John Malkovich and Jeff Goldblum.
Anthony Hopkins and Tom Hiddleston.

(If only because Hopkins doing Hiddleston doing Hopkins is still the finest bit of acting in the MCU.)