Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DARK SHADOWS: REINCARNATION (The CW)
https://deadline.com/2019/09/dark-shadow...202729676/

I’ve primarily created this thread just so I can vocalize my love for the old version of DARK SHADOWS, which -- when it aired in reruns on the Sci-Fi channel in the early 2000s -- I set my VCR to automatically tape for me so I could watch the episodes after getting home from school.   I have seen each of the 1,200+ episodes at least once.  I’m sure I’m alone on these boards, but hey, we’ve all got to be into something peculiar!

In any case, I think a CW update is a spectacularly bad idea, because I don’t trust that there’s ANY way that outfit would have any interest in truly capturing the specific blend of earnestness, cheese, and flying-by-the-seat-of-our-pants-because-this-is-basically-LIVE TV-every-day energy that made the original show so appealing.

The showrunner, Mark B. Perry, has some nice words to say in that Deadline piece, but he can only do what the network allows him to do.  There has yet to be a CW show I’ve liked (I haven't seen anything substantial from SUPERNATURAL, but I’ve been told by close friends that I’d enjoy it), and I worry that a new DARK SHADOWS is just going to be overly-attractive, overly-sexed, shallow characters stuffed into generic genre shenanigans.  And I worry that it will trade in camp, which was the major mistake Tim Burton's film adaptation made.

If they’re going to do it, I at least hope they attempt to get as deeply weird as the original show, which featured so many horror and fantasy ideas in its five-year run that it’s kind of jaw-dropping:  in addition to your garden variety ghosts, vampires, and werewolves, the show had Frankenstein, Dorian Gray, Jekyll & Hyde, and Cthulhu riffs, plus time travel, alternate dimensions, spiritual transference, reincarnation, revenge, murder, and all kinds of other craziness.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
So you are saying it's not going to be a wacky comedy? Great.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Not an intentional wacky comedy, in any case.
Wasn't the Tim Burton movie enough of a slap in the face?? I mean, I don't really remember it, but wasn't it??
I felt slapped, yes.
I remember finding the original series on Amazon Instant and enjoying its ultra low budget charm, but kids these days wouldn't appreciate such things. Didn't the CW turn Archie into some kind of Pretty Little Liars rip-off?
(09-10-2019, 01:16 AM)bradito Wrote: I remember finding the original series on Amazon Instant and enjoying its ultra low budget charm, but kids these days wouldn't appreciate such things. Didn't the CW turn Archie into some kind of Pretty Little Liars rip-off?

More Twin Peaksish. At least that's what I hear. I do want to check it out eventually.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I actually really liked the revival series with Ben Cross back when it first aired ....

The original Dark Shadows isn't so much a show as it is a unique set of circumstances. Without the original Gothic concept failing and the creators deciding "Why not vampires?" and the kind of after-school viewing that just doesn't exist anymore and that ragged "Let's put on a show" charm, it never becomes a phenomenon. You can't create that from scratch.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(09-10-2019, 05:09 AM)Overlord Wrote: I actually really liked the revival series with Ben Cross back when it first aired ....

I'm a fan, as well. I think the fact that Dan Curtis himself was the mastermind behind the revival is what pulled it through.

It also did a really good job of condensing several multi-month storylines into about 12 episodes.

(09-10-2019, 05:17 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: The original Dark Shadows isn't so much a show as it is a unique set of circumstances. Without the original Gothic concept failing and the creators deciding "Why not vampires?" and the kind of after-school viewing that just doesn't exist anymore and that ragged "Let's put on a show" charm, it never becomes a phenomenon. You can't create that from scratch.

Hence my concern!
Look, I know I'm the weirdo on this site who is still advocating for RIVERDALE, but everything you guys are saying about Dark Shadows - including the passionate investment in the show by its fans - has been happening on that gloriously sincere and utterly batshit series for quite some time now. And what isn't happening on RIVERDALE is happening on CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA.

And despite its reputation, the CW has been pretty hands off in letting creators do what they want - this is the network that had SUPERNATURAL, JANE THE VIRGIN, RIVERDALE, and CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND all running concurrently - so I wouldn't be too worried about "interference."
home taping is killing music
Having only seen a smattering of RIVERDALE, I think it's kind of exactly what I wouldn't want to see from DARK SHADOWS, tonally.

However, as I say, it's only been a smattering!  I will certainly accept the possibility that the image I have of the CW in my head is perhaps not reflective of the full reality.

I just think DARK SHADOWS would be an extremely hard property to do even under the very best circumstances and with the very best creative backing.
Huge fan of most 1970s Dan Curtis horror, but I never got into Dark Shadows. It wasn't on TV much when I was a kid, and the amount of time I would have to dedicate to watching the episodes now makes it basically impossible. And I'm the kind of all or nothing OCD viewer who would feel obligated to either watch every episode that exists, or just leave it alone. I bet I would have loved it.
Yeah, to really get into it is a commitment.

There are a few "compilation" volumes out there on DVD that condense/edit-together multiple episodes into a feature-length movie-ish presentation. Trying to present some of the months-long storylines in a digestible way.
(09-10-2019, 12:04 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: If they’re going to do it, I at least hope they attempt to get as deeply weird as the original show, which featured so many horror and fantasy ideas in its five-year run that it’s kind of jaw-dropping:  in addition to your garden variety ghosts, vampires, and werewolves, the show had Frankenstein, Dorian Gray, Jekyll & Hyde, and Cthulhu riffs, plus time travel, alternate dimensions, spiritual transference, reincarnation, revenge, murder, and all kinds of other craziness.

I always thought the show was basically a vampire soap opera. I wasn't aware things got this crazy, and it actually has me curious now. I'll have to check out those compilations some time.
(09-10-2019, 12:04 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: I always thought the show was basically a vampire soap opera. I wasn't aware things got this crazy, and it actually has me curious now. I'll have to check out those compilations some time.

I even left out witchcraft and satanism!

Here's one of the compilations, which distills the TURN OF THE SCREW-inspired storyline that introduced Quentin Collins, who became one of the biggest characters of the show...

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Coll...way&sr=8-2
I was a big fan of Kolchak: The Night Stalker when it first came out; and I soon became aware of Dan Curtis and some of his other projects, which eventually led me to Dark Shadows. Shot on low-res black and white video, I saw chunks of it re-run during during late afternoons on one of the Spokane WA stations during the early 1980s (no video because I didn't get my first VCR until ~1983/84 and blank tapes were $15-$20 a pop). It was a serialized gothic soap opera, quite frankly, with very theatrical acting and it's a wonder the original master tapes had not been erased by that time. It's a sample of its time to be sure, but now that serialized storylines are more a norm, there is potential for the concept, if done right and brought up to date.
There are some great "arcs" they could draw from in a new iteration.

The infamous "1897 Flashback" storyline, which had a duration of over a year, could be a goldmine of weirdo ideas they could update.