Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show You Must Have Before the Inevitable Streaming Channel Bubble Bursts?
Years ago, smart people cut the cord and went from 150 cable channels to two or three (if you have Amazon Prime) streaming services.   Life was good, life was simple.   Fast forward to today and we are on the verge of 6 or 7 major streaming services to replace what Netflix and Hulu used to provide.   All of this is going to crash and burn spectacularily but before it does, what obscure and niche property do you want a streaming service to spend obscene amounts of money on?    I mean I already have a fucking Dark Crystal prequel that costs 20 times as much as the box office flop that inspired it so I'm good.   What about you?
DREDD: A miniseries/limited series with Karl Urban back in the titular role and Judge Death as the main villain (I picture his live-action version looking like the Mouth of Sauron).
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
I want Bob Gale's INTERSTATE 60: EPISODES OF THE ROAD made into an anthology show. The movie already feels like a pilot that didn't get picked up.
Go all the way. Give us an Illuminatus! miniseries.
The Coach reboot that NBC fucked us out of a few years ago.
I need a three season version of James Ellroy's Underworld U.S.A. trilogy.
I want a series based upon the BURKE novels by Andrew Vachss
I want a series based upon the ELRIC novels by Michael Moorcock.
RED MARS
RENDEZVOUS WITH RAMA

Terrific sci-fi stories that have thus far proven impossible to crack.
Gamertag: Tweakee
(09-10-2019, 09:42 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: The Coach reboot that NBC fucked us out of a few years ago.

Solid choice. 

My pick...”Old Man Bond” starring Sean Connery.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
(09-10-2019, 11:29 PM)farsight Wrote: RED MARS
RENDEZVOUS WITH RAMA

Terrific sci-fi stories that have thus far proven impossible to crack.

Also, Stranger In a Strange Land already. The timing's never been better.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I could grok that.
The Bartimaeus fantasy series.
I don't watch TV. Too much violence.
I wouldn't mind a really good Lensman series.

Goes without saying, but a Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser series would be extremely my shit.

Vernor Vinge's 'Zones of Thought' books could also be pretty incredible if adapted properly (I've got some thoughts for how to connect Children of Time back up with The Blabber in a way that brings the Spiders from Deepness in the Sky back in which would keep Pham Nguyen as a main character for most of the series).

[edit]ohshit, here's one: Warren Ellis's 'Planetary' for DCUniverse or HBO Plus or something. 16 episode limited series.
(09-11-2019, 12:47 AM)bradito Wrote: I don't watch TV. Too much violence.

It's not violence. It's HBO.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
ALIENS VS. SERENITY - Malcolm Reynolds and the crew of Serenity get more than they bargained for when they steal dangerous cargo (alien eggs!) from the mega-corporation Blue Sun (the parent company of Weyland-Yutani). Jayne gets chestbursted early on to raise the stakes. They uncover a conspiracy and must team up with Ripley, Newt and Hicks to take down the corporate baddies and eradicate the xenomorphs.
(09-10-2019, 10:40 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I want a series based upon the ELRIC novels by Michael Moorcock.

I'd love that but it would be really hard to get right.

Along those lines:

A 5 or 6 season show based on Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn epic fantasy.

A mini-series based on Donaldson's Mordant's Need duology.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Bring back CIRCUS OF THE STARS.
Shadowrun. The original meta-plot has at least four seasons worth of stuff in it.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Still holding out for Netflix to shell out to finish Orson Welles' The Deep.
Arthur Conan Doyle's swashbuckler epic The White Company.
THE DEEP would be a tricky one, and not an effort really comparable with THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND, which was at least completely filmed with the exception of like two shots which did not involve actors.  That one also had the blessing of Welles in the sense that he apparently made Peter Bogdanovich promise to complete the movie if he did not live to do so himself.  So Welles had sort of already approved of the idea of his collaborators editing the rest of the film if it came to that.

My understanding of THE DEEP is that key scenes had not yet been filmed, and thus the best you could do is embed expositional cards in place of the missing footage in the extant work print.  And isn't the work print all that exists, with the negative lost?  This probably imposes a ceiling on how good the thing can even look, although with today's technology, who knows.
Ongoing, pulpy Conan of Cimmeria series? Animated adaption of ElfQuest? Still amazed that someone (or several) decided Wheel of Time was ripe for adaptation!

On the slightly more realistic side, I've already gotten my Bosch cop procedural adaptation and my (sort of) Jack Ryan action/political/slight espionage thing. Um, can I get my favorite canceled show of the last ten years, Terriers, back? Those two dudes don't appear to be doing much, c'mon!
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

No fucking Elfquest, Neil! NO!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

The Tad Williams series I'd like to see is Otherland.

I'll once again state my ubiquitous desire for an stylized and maybe by necessity animated Gene Wolf's Book of the New Sun series.
(09-11-2019, 12:30 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: The Tad Williams series I'd like to see is Otherland.

For some reason I haven't been able to give that a shot. Has it aged well, in terms of the SF/virtual reality aspects?

I'd like to see something done with the LOST FLEET series of books by Jack Campbell (John Hemry). It's a very solid interstellar war story with a lot of really cool political intrigue and fascinatingly 'real' feeling combat tactics.
(09-11-2019, 12:53 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(09-11-2019, 12:30 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: The Tad Williams series I'd like to see is Otherland.

For some reason I haven't been able to give that a shot. Has it aged well, in terms of the SF/virtual reality aspects?

Not at all. Even at the very time it was published it was dated.
(09-11-2019, 12:21 PM)MichaelM Wrote: No fucking Elfquest, Neil! NO!

But my wife loves them, its for heeeerrrrr!  Srsly, she has original autographed artwork signed by whatshisname hanging around here.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

I've been advocating for some kind of limited series about the Southern California singer-songwriter scene from the late 1960s to the late 1970s for a while, probably using something like GIRLS LIKE US as a base, but with FOSSE/VERDON and FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON as stylistic inspiration - sort of anthology, sort of not. Heavy on the period detail, heavy on the tunes.
home taping is killing music
That'd be an interesting topic - I know there was a stage show about Carole King going around recently-ish, but I didn't follow it closely enough to know what the reception was like. Definitely kinda fascinating how many classic songs from that period were penned by the same handful of people.
Echo In the Canyon played theatres earlier this year.

And we already had Yacht Rock.
(09-11-2019, 03:36 PM)boone daniels Wrote: I've been advocating for some kind of limited series about the Southern California singer-songwriter scene from the late 1960s to the late 1970s for a while, probably using something like GIRLS LIKE US as a base, but with FOSSE/VERDON and FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON as stylistic inspiration - sort of anthology, sort of not. Heavy on the period detail, heavy on the tunes.

That'd be good fodder for a Ken Burns documentary, actually.
Second vote for an Underworld USA series-- an "American Tabloid" adaptation seemed like it was threatening for a long while at some point... then pfft.

If we gotta have more fantasy, I'd like to see a long-form adaptation of "The Once and Future King". I understand Disney's developing some new version of "The Sword in the Stone", but that ain't the same.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Gimme that Napoleonic Wars fix with both a Master & Commander series. As well as a remake show of Sharpe's Rifles.

I'm already getting one Warhammer 40,000 series in Eisenhorn but also give me a full length Gaunt's Ghosts show in the vein of Band of Brothers as well as an animated Horus Heresy show in the style of the Netflix Castelvania show.

Live action Fables adaptation.

A Mistborn/Cosmere show with all the budget.

A reimagining of Mr. Rogers' Neighbourhood starring Dolly Parton and Lil Nas X.

A Transmetropolitan adaptation
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt