Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game of Thrones: Targaryen Prequel?
https://deadline.com/2019/09/house-targa...202732221/

A re-telling of either Aegon's conquest or The Dance of Dragons would be THE two prequels ideas I'd be excited about.  The Dance of Dragons is goddamned phenomenal, easily the best part of Fire & Blood, IMHO, by a significant margin.

I'd almost say don't read it if they're going to make a series out of it, because the twists and turns and backstabbery/infighting are glorious.

Does this mean Naomi Watts isn't playing a Targaryen in the other prequel? I'm disappointed.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
Winds of Winter delayed indefinitely then. Not that it wasn't obvious before but don't hold your breath GoT book fans.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Anyone holding their breath is long dead.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I'd be interested to see the reaction to prequels and if Season 8 actually hurt the interest in the series and world or not.
Game of Groans
"Never ASSUME anything, for it makes an ASS out of U and ME." - Benny Hill
Oh, any chance to nerd out is one I will gladly take!

So prior to the start of the series, there are four main "inflection points" when it comes to Westerosi history: The pact, the Long Night, the Andal invasion, and the Doom of Valaryia/Aegon's conquest.

The pact between the Children and the First Men brings peace between them, and the Long Night is the first war against the White Walkers.  Those are two of the major events of The Age of Heroes, which also included folks like Lann the Clever, Bran the Builder, and events like the building of the wall. The Age of Heroes starts roughly 10,0000 years before the start of the series.  Many of the families who were around during the Age of Heroes/among the First Men are extinct by the time of the show - but among the ones that survived are the Starks and the Lannisters. The prequel with Watts created by Jane Goldman (working title: "Bloodmoon/The Long Night") takes place in the Age of Heroes. It's speculated, but not yet confirmed, that Watts is playing a Lannister ancestor. 

The Age of Heroes comes to an end with the Andal Invasion, six thousand years before the start of the series. You can think of it like the Roman conquest of Britain, and, as we've seen in the show, the difference between "First Men" families and those who are descended from the AI continues through to the "present" (Jorah the Andal, etc.). After about 2,000 years, the Andals had become so integrated into Westerosi life that the families stopped fighting the first men as a united front and began, instead, fighting each other. 

The end of the Andal invasion roughly corresponded with the rise of Valyria across the Narrow Sea, which lasted for about 4,000 or so years until the doom of Valyria, which brought chaos to the continent of Essos for a hundred or so years until Aegon went and conquered Westeros. 

One of the interesting things about all of this is that - as best as I can recall - the Targaryens were a relatively smaller noble house in Valyria, who understood that the doom was coming, and thus were among the only ones to escape. 

So if I had to guess, this Targaryen prequel will either pick up after the conquest with extended flashbacks, or begin before it, and do almost a Krypton-like story about the last days of Valyria. 

As to why they're doing it, I can see two reasons: One, they realize they kind of shot the dog with the ending and people's good feelings towards Dany, and so, given the history of "strong female characters" among Targaryen history, they want to rebuild some of that goodwill. Or, two, they want to underline the fact that Targaryens have always been conquerors and monsters, and put Dany's madness within that context.
home taping is killing music
Or they want lots of dragons!

I can only imagine it would be one of two things: the Targaryens landing in Westeros and the conquest of Aegon and Balerion the Black Dread, or the lead up to the Dance of the Dragons. Both very cinematic, full of the kind of politicking GoT had at its best. And plenty of Dragon action too.

Of course, both stories are known in full, thanks to all the supplemental material published in lieu of continuations. So I'm way more interested in the Naomi Watts/Bloodmoon thing, because what will 10,000 years prior even look like? Would they maybe explain the crazy weather system we still don't fully understand?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I'm wondering if they are going to fully embrace all the brother- and sister-fucking that goes on with the Targaryens. Because that shit was pretty standard for the entire dynasty.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(09-13-2019, 10:51 AM)MichaelM Wrote: I'm wondering if they are going to fully embrace all the brother- and sister-fucking that goes on with the Targaryens. Because that shit was pretty standard for the entire dynasty.

Aegon and his sisters should be an interesting casting search.

(09-13-2019, 10:49 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: Or they want lots of dragons!

I can only imagine it would be one of two things: the Targaryens landing in Westeros and the conquest of Aegon and Balerion the Black Dread, or the lead up to the Dance of the Dragons. Both very cinematic, full of the kind of politicking GoT had at its best. And plenty of Dragon action too.

My thoughts as well.