Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Feig's DARK ARMY (Universal Monsters)
So, this broke today...

https://deadline.com/2019/09/paul-feig-m...202732738/

Apparently Universal aren't putting all their Classic Monsters eggs in the Blumhouse basket, and it's unclear if there's any connection to Leigh Whannell's INVISIBLE MAN, which was thought to be the first in the latest round of Monster reimaginings in a new continuity.

Pertinent quote from Deadline:  "... the project will include characters from Universal’s classic monster library and original characters created by Feig."

There are few people who have as much love for the Universal Classic Monsters as I do.  The entire Universal horror run from the late 1920s through the late 1940s (plus the Creature in the '50s) means a lot to me.  So I'm on board with any new attempts to bring them back the screen.

Feig's a concern for me, because while I'm sure his heart is probably in the right place, his GHOSTBUSTERS showed me that he didn't understand (at all) what made the original GHOSTBUSTERS work, and I fear he might have a similar misunderstanding of the Monsters.  But maybe not!  

Fingers crossed he knows what he's doing with these characters.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
My interest went from "Universal Monsters? Intriguing!" to "Paul Feig? Fuck this."

JOE DANTE would be the perfect man for this project.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I guess the horse wasn't dead yet.

What a terrible idea and the wrong director for it.
Man I can't wait to see Melissa McCarthy's Mummy.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I really wish everyone that's still complaining about GHOSTBUSTERS would have to prove they saw A SIMPLE FAVOR.
home taping is killing music
I saw it! If you want a link to my 3/5 Letterboxd review from October of last year, I can supply it. Definitely better than GHOSTBUSTERS, still a little too goofy and tonally odd for me. Neither movie would make me think the filmmaker behind them would be an inspired choice for the Monsters.

But as always, I remain open to the possibility of being wrong. I saw DRACULA UNTOLD in theaters, so I'll be seeing anything related to the Classic Monsters regardless of what I think of the creative voices behind the camera.
(09-12-2019, 08:44 PM)boone daniels Wrote: I really wish everyone that's still complaining about GHOSTBUSTERS would have to prove they saw A SIMPLE FAVOR.

I liked a Simple Favor quite a bit but I don't know that it qualifies him to do this.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I think if Paul Feig can get Blake Lively, who was routinely the least engaging part of Gossip Girl and the fourth most talented member of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, to deliver what should have been an Oscar-nominated performance in A SIMPLE FAVOR, he can do just about anything. Especially since Ghostbusters was actually good.
Is it though (Thor gif)?

Blake Lively’s better in The Shallows. One woman show, handles it with aplomb.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Boone gonna flex like Ghostbusters is a great movie and we're all just wrong and should roll with his version of reality.

Nuh-uh.
I didn't say it was a great movie, Freeman.

I said it was good.

Boy, you guys really do love to take literally anything I say and extrapolate the wildest things, don't you? Banner day for that.
This will never happen.
nu-Ghostbusters is good? What kinda shit wrong statement is that.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
The same studio who made pixels around the same time and all kinds of other "comedy" trash. Just saying.
Feig's GHOSTBUSTERS is an okay mid-2010's studio comedy. It's a terrible Ghostbusters movie.

(09-12-2019, 09:27 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: Blake Lively’s better in The Shallows. One woman show, handles it with aplomb.

100%.

(09-12-2019, 09:56 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Boy, you guys really do love to take literally anything I say and extrapolate the wildest things, don't you? Banner day for that.

Boone, I can't speak to what's going on anywhere else on the boards, but I hope you'll continue to be part of the conversation in here. I would genuinely be interested in seeing somebody (perhaps you!) make the case for a Paul Feig Universal Monsters movie. I know you're a fan of his, so in the best circumstances, what would you want that to look like?
The moment the Ghost ladies started doing flips and slow-mo "cool" Matrix moves was the objective literal moment that it was obvious they had absolutely no clue what made the original work in any capacity. How you go from huffing and puffing up the stairs to THAT is such a severe misunderstanding of what the property even is that... Of course, it failed. Of course, there won't be more.
GHOSTBUSTERS: ANSWER THE CALL was too slapdash for my taste, but I thought A SIMPLE FAVOR was a delight.
(09-12-2019, 10:23 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Feig's GHOSTBUSTERS is an okay mid-2010's studio comedy.  It's a terrible Ghostbusters movie.

(09-12-2019, 09:27 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: Blake Lively’s better in The Shallows. One woman show, handles it with aplomb.

100%.

(09-12-2019, 09:56 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Boy, you guys really do love to take literally anything I say and extrapolate the wildest things, don't you? Banner day for that.

Boone, I can't speak to what's going on anywhere else on the boards, but I hope you'll continue to be part of the conversation in here.  I would genuinely be interested in seeing somebody (perhaps you!) make the case for a Paul Feig Universal Monsters movie.  I know you're a fan of his, so in the best circumstances, what would you want that to look like?

It's a terrible studio comedy too. I think I laughed only one time during the whole movie, which was at something stupid Chris Hemsworth's character said. It wasn't even because it was funny either, it was just so dumb it was like a laugh of: Well I guess this is what this is.

Giving Feig a Universal Monsters movie seems like a very weird move to me. After Ghostbuster you'd think he'd be in movie jail as far as anything monster related goes. This seems like the kind of news Universal should have just sat on until they had a trailer.
I'm not enthralled at this deal because 1) I don't want the classic monsters to be funny - I want them to be scary (or at the very least credible threats) and 2) Feig's track record is, for me, pretty spotty. BRIDESMAIDS has some really funny scenes but is overall uneven. SPY is pretty good. GHOSTBUSTERS is fecking terrible. Haven't seen SIMPLE FAVOR yet but it's on my Amazon watch list.

Much as I think 2010's THE WOLFMAN doesn't work, it did get the tone completely correct. I don't see Feig being able to nail the needed tone for these monsters.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Yeah, to me The Wolfman is exactly what I want. Gorgeous to look at Gothic haunting period pieces with some fun gore and (unlike Wolfman) compelling story and character.
Remake THE MONSTER SQUAD as a Finn Wolfhard vehicle or quit wasting my precious goddamn time like this, Universal.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
(09-13-2019, 09:03 AM)Reasor Wrote: Remake THE MONSTER SQUAD as a Finn Wolfhard vehicle or quit wasting my precious goddamn time like this, Universal.
^ This. C'mon, studio suits, strike while the iron is hot and the Stranger Things craze is still keeping the '80s Amblinesque nostalgia boom alive and well!
Paul Feig has had an admirably odd career, from FREAKS AND GEEKS (amazing!) to BRIDESMAIDS (hilarious!) to THE HEAT (ugh!) to SPY (really liked it!) to GHOSTBUSTERS (the worst!) to A SIMPLE FAVOR (good but Jesus Christ it's not THAT good!), and that's not event taking into account his acting work, which started on an old ep of THE FACTS OF LIFE.

I wish his work was as fascinating as his career, but it's pretty impressive.
Nobody here respects HEAVYWEIGHTS. Wink

Without that weird little Disney movie, we don't get Apatow and Feig meeting.
I don't know if it's that odd. He was an actor that seemed to fall in with Judd Apatow at some point, which led to a show, which led to a pretty workmen like job as a director of tv and movies.

(09-13-2019, 10:40 AM)boone daniels Wrote: Nobody here respects HEAVYWEIGHTS. Wink

Did they met there, or was it on It's Garry Shandling's Show?
If Feig is just doing a Monster Squad update, I wouldn't mind that too much. Mostly because I don't have any real interest in a Monster Squad update.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(09-13-2019, 07:28 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Much as I think 2010's THE WOLFMAN doesn't work, it did get the tone completely correct. I don't see Feig being able to nail the needed tone for these monsters.
(09-13-2019, 07:42 AM)freeman Wrote: Yeah, to me The Wolfman is exactly what I want. Gorgeous to look at Gothic haunting period pieces with some fun gore and (unlike Wolfman) compelling story and character.

Visually, THE WOLFMAN would be a terrific template to follow.

(09-13-2019, 09:03 AM)Reasor Wrote: Remake THE MONSTER SQUAD as a Finn Wolfhard vehicle or quit wasting my precious goddamn time like this, Universal.
(09-13-2019, 09:36 AM)commodorejohn Wrote: ^ This. C'mon, studio suits, strike while the iron is hot and the Stranger Things craze is still keeping the '80s Amblinesque nostalgia boom alive and well!

Paramount owns the MONSTER SQUAD rights. Universal could try to do something similar, using their "official" versions of the Classic Monsters, but I'm not sure if even doing a general "group of monsters vs. groups of kids/teens" premise would infringe on Paramount's turf.
(09-13-2019, 10:44 AM)simbob Wrote: Nobody here respects HEAVYWEIGHTS. Wink

[/quote]

They met there.

I think compared to a lot of directors, we can call Feig's career definitely versatile.

Let's not forget he directed what is arguably one of the top two or three best sitcom episodes of the century - "Dinner Party."
What is the obsession with these old monsters? They are cool, yep I definitely know them! They are almost 100 years past relevance just move on. At least update it with modern monsters Jesus Christ.

These motherfuckers haven’t been in a decent/successful (horror)movie since Bram Stokers. How about Keenu and his awful English accent throws down with Rumplestiltskin (auto correct you whore), Leprechaun, Jack Frost, chick from Species and I dunno The Predator. No we gotta have some dip shit wrapped up in a towel who got his brain pulled out his nose 7000 years ago shuffling around. Progress please!
[Image: source.gif]
Munson definitely has a point of view.
(09-13-2019, 12:29 PM)boone daniels Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 10:44 AM)simbob Wrote: Nobody here respects HEAVYWEIGHTS. Wink

They met there.

I think compared to a lot of directors, we can call Feig's career definitely versatile.

Let's not forget he directed what is arguably one of the top two or three best sitcom episodes of the century - "Dinner Party."
[/quote]

It's versatile in the way most tv and work-for-hire directors careers are versatile.

I had to look up what Dinner Party was. I can't really say one episode of The Office really stood out from the rest on a directing level. I enjoyed the US Office, but I wouldn't call any of the US Office the best sitcom episode since 2001. Shit, the original Office lands in that time frame and I wouldn't say any off the US version is better than that show.
Dinner Party is an absolute slam dunk of an Office episode. The only thing that compares is Prison Mike.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(09-13-2019, 01:48 PM)Munson Wrote: What is the obsession with these old monsters? They are cool, yep I definitely know them! They are almost 100 years past relevance just move on. At least update it with modern monsters Jesus Christ.

These motherfuckers haven’t been in a decent/successful (horror)movie since Bram Stokers. How about Keenu and his awful English accent throws down with Rumplestiltskin (auto correct you whore), Leprechaun, Jack Frost, chick from Species and I dunno The Predator. No we gotta have some dip shit wrapped up in a towel who got his brain pulled out his nose 7000 years ago shuffling around. Progress please!

What is this, the Van Helsing episode of How Did This Get Made too?
I'm not going to do an entire treatise on why Dinner Party is a directorial achievement worthy of celebration, but it is one. SimBob can continue to be as dismissive as he likes, though.