Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terrence Malick's The Last Planet
He's at it again, the absolute madman! Sadly despite the name it's not a sci-fi movie (at least, I don't think...), but some sort of Jesus project featuring Mark Rylance as Satan.

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-last-planet/

Who would've guessed back in the day he'd make it to 11 films, if not beyond?
Malick's sort of lost me after TREE OF LIFE but I'll admit: I'm intrigued.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Supposedly his latest one features an actual story - the sellout! - so this might be less... shall we say 'spontaneous' than his recent output. Though the odds that large stretches of this will be Jesus wandering around the desert whispering philosophically to himself are high.
(09-13-2019, 10:25 AM)Paul C Wrote: Supposedly his latest one features an actual story - the sellout! - so this might be less... shall we say 'spontaneous' than his recent output. 

Patrick H Willems also noted Malick's seeming return to films with actual plot or story:

"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(09-13-2019, 10:25 AM)Paul C Wrote: Supposedly his latest one features an actual story - the sellout! - so this might be less... shall we say 'spontaneous' than his recent output. Though the odds that large stretches of this will be Jesus wandering around the desert whispering philosophically to himself are high.

It sounds like there's a bit more narrative to this one, but this quote from August Diehl cracked me up:

Quote:Tasha RobinsonVerified account @TashaRobinson Sep 9
Best moment from the HIDDEN LIFE Q&A: star August Diehl on shooting. "The average take was 28 minutes long. So by the end of it, you didn't know what you were doing anymore. You'd just sit down and watch the landscape, which would make Terrence Malick very happy." #TIFF19[Image: TIFF19_Custom_Emoji.png]
I think unless he starts going back down that road those three will probably go down as a kind of experimental trilogy, a sort of career tangent slightly separate from the rest of his films.

Voyage Of Time always seems to get left out of these discussions, probably because no one's seen the thing. His best received project since Tree Of Life and it's impossible to find!