Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
...the End of Democracy
Warning, this is a pretty fucking cynical article...but given the nature of human history, there would seem to be some truth in it.

Quote:The Shocking Paper Predicting the End of Democracy
Human brains aren’t built for self-rule, says Shawn Rosenberg. That’s more evident than ever.
Quote:What caused the stir? Rosenberg, a professor at UC Irvine, was challenging a core assumption about America and the West. His theory?

Democracy is devouring itself—his phrase — and it won’t last.

As much as President Donald Trump’s liberal critics might want to lay America’s ills at his door, Rosenberg says the president is not the cause of democracy’s fall—even if Trump’s successful anti-immigrant populist campaign may have been a symptom of democracy’s decline.

We’re
to blame, said Rosenberg. As in “we the people.”

Democracy is hard work. And as society’s “elites”—experts and public figures who help those around them navigate the heavy responsibilities that come with self-rule—have increasingly been sidelined, citizens have proved ill equipped cognitively and emotionally to run a well-functioning democracy. As a consequence, the center has collapsed and millions of frustrated and angst-filled voters have turned in desperation to right-wing populists.

His prediction? “In well-established democracies like the United States, democratic governance will continue its inexorable decline and will eventually fail.”

Quote:Right-wing populists don’t have to make much sense. They can simultaneously blame immigrants for taking jobs away from Americans while claiming that these same people are lazy layabouts sponging off welfare. All the populist followers care is that they now have an enemy to blame for their feelings of ennui.

And unlike democracy, which makes many demands, the populists make just one. They insist that people be loyal. Loyalty entails surrendering to the populist nationalist vision. But this is less a burden than an advantage. It’s easier to pledge allegiance to an authoritarian leader than to do the hard work of thinking for yourself demanded by democracy.

IMO, That last line really sums up the current state of affairs here in the US.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Unless there is a cheap, endless, and consequence-free form of energy that can power a global economy and it's workforce that I'm forgetting, the article isn't nearly cynical enough.
(09-13-2019, 12:56 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: Unless there is a cheap, endless, and consequence-free form of energy that can power a global economy and it's workforce that I'm forgetting, the article isn't nearly cynical enough.

Oh yeah....It's stuff that's been floating around in the back in my head. Like, mea and my friends make "joking but not really" jokes about how we're all fucked anyways.

You do what you can mostly full on defeatism isn't healthy at all.  We'll probably lose, but I'd rather be on the side that tried to do the right thing when we do.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Western-style democracy is an outlier and exception to the general trends of humanity in regards to how we structure societies.

The fallacy of this article is that it rests on the same assumption that the "Make America Great Again" sentiment does -- that things were going more or less swimmingly until wheels just recently started coming off.  Democracy may suck, but history does not make a strong case for a superior alternative.  And neither does the article.

America is 250 years old, which is quite young compared to other fallen republics you could name.  I mean, we haven't even sorted out the "all men are created equal" part we wrote into the script on day one.  America isn't something we have proven to work.  It is a slow, messy, and most importantly ongoing experiment.  It's not something we finished and then betrayed, but an idea that is in a far more immature stage of development than many would prefer to confront honestly.  As a product of human beings, its failure may be inevitable, but the problems outlined by this doomsday knell - itself a tradition going back to the beginning - aren't anything new.
Human brains aren’t built for this society we have lived in for hundreds of years. Wow who knew. This guy! Also incredibly America centric, such xenophobia!!!

Seriously it will probably take a dirt nap for a couple hundred years or so but it’ll be back. Do you even history bro?
Yeah, what fatherdude and Munson said. None of the actually broadly correct stuff this guy is saying is news to anyone who's been paying any attention to...all of human history, ever, and as for his prognosis...well, so what? What do you want us to do about it, go back to feudalism? Surrender to some kind of supposed oligarchy-of-the-enlightened that will really just be feudalism in a trendy wrapper? (Telling that the last place I heard this core argument being put forward was when the press first started dragging the Silicon Valley neo-feudalist movement out into the light...)

We're not committed to democracy because it's a perfect, not-broken system. We're committed to it because, no matter how fucked-up the implementation has been and will continue to be, it's something worth standing for and worth refining into a better expression of the ideals that we want to hold ourselves to.
(09-13-2019, 01:44 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: ......

We're not committed to democracy because it's a perfect, not-broken system. We're committed to it because, no matter how fucked-up the implementation has been and will continue to be, it's something worth standing for and worth refining into a better expression of the ideals that we want to hold ourselves to.

...and history has shown that the democracy/republic alternatives can be much, much, MUCH worse.

Churchill was a dick but this saying of his has the ring of truth.

Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…’

Winston S Churchill, 11 November 1947
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
was this written by Loki???
Would you guys be even nearly this cynical if Hillary had won the election? I mean she lost by literally thousands of votes, that's not exactly an overwhelming majority of the population throwing their hands in air and giving up the on the concept of democratic ideals.
Yes, but only because I've conditioned myself over the last handful of years to view news media through the lens of climate change.
(09-13-2019, 03:23 PM)history buff Wrote: Would you guys be even nearly this cynical if Hillary had won the election? I mean she lost by literally thousands of votes, that's not exactly an overwhelming majority of the population throwing their hands in air and giving up the on the concept of democratic ideals.

I can't answer that without digging up old arguments that are better left buried.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber