Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE UNCANNY X-MEN (Inevitable MCU Reboot, 202?)
(Cue "this will never happen")

But it will.

Anyway, the games begin with a rumor so rumor-y that I'm not even putting a grain of salt on it: Marvel wants Denzel Washington to play Magneto.

This, and yet we never got three Easy Rawlins movies.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
(09-13-2019, 01:24 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: (Cue "this will never happen")

But it will.

Anyway, the games begin with a rumor so rumor-y that I'm not even putting a grain of salt on it: Marvel wants Denzel Washington to play Magneto.

This, and yet we never got three Easy Rawlins movies.

Magneto is one of the very few comic book characters whose "ethnic backstory" really can't be changed without fundamentally altering him to such an extent you might as well create a whole new character ... I would have thought Feige knows this ...

I'm thinking, given how the MCU has had a propensity towards the "galactic" recently and considering the need to make a big splash upon introducing the X-Men, that the natural story for the MCU to explore in order to integrate the two properties is the Phoenix saga.

(09-13-2019, 01:24 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: This, and yet we never got three Easy Rawlins movies.

It's because we were waiting for Michael B. Jordan and Daniel Kaluuya to do a series of "Sherlock" style movies with avowed Easy Rawlins fan Ryan Coogler at the helm.

Denzel as Magneto's a fascinating choice. There's already a bit of debate about whether the character needs to be canonically Jewish or not, or even a canonical Holocaust survivor (which was apparently added years after the fact). But I think depending on how you handle it and when it's set, you could have a black Magneto going through the same kind of genocidal trauma as a Jewish one did. I don't think it would "fundamentally alter" him that much. Wouldn't be out of line for the Klan to take the place of the Nazis, for example. Or to have him as a young child growing up in the last days of the Jim Crow south. Or a child of someone who participated in the Tuskgeege experiments (don't forget that in comics, the first Captain America ever was a black guy experimented on by the government).

There was a really interesting article about Clarence Thomas in the New Yorker that discussed his belief "that race matters; that racism is a constant, ineradicable feature of American life; and that the only hope for black people lies within themselves, not as individuals but as a separate community with separate institutions, apart from white people" and how he embraces the same things now - "celebration of black self-sufficiency, support for racial separatism" - that he did as a young man. I could easily see those ideas being transplanted to a character like Magneto.
home taping is killing music
(09-13-2019, 01:33 PM)boone daniels Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 01:24 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: This, and yet we never got three Easy Rawlins movies.

It's because we were waiting for Michael B. Jordan and Daniel Kaluuya to do a series of "Sherlock" style movies with avowed Easy Rawlins fan Ryan Coogler at the helm.

Denzel as Magneto's a fascinating choice. There's already a bit of debate about whether the character needs to be canonically Jewish or not, or even a canonical Holocaust survivor (which was apparently added years after the fact). But I think depending on how you handle it and when it's set, you could have a black Magneto going through the same kind of genocidal trauma as a Jewish one did. I don't think it would "fundamentally alter" him that much. Wouldn't be out of line for the Klan to take the place of the Nazis, for example. Or to have him as a young child growing up in the last days of the Jim Crow south. Or a child of someone who participated in the Tuskgeege experiments (don't forget that in comics, the first Captain America ever was a black guy experimented on by the government).

There was a really interesting article about Clarence Thomas in the New Yorker that discussed his belief "that race matters; that racism is a constant, ineradicable feature of American life; and that the only hope for black people lies within themselves, not as individuals but as a separate community with separate institutions, apart from white people" and how he embraces the same things now - "celebration of black self-sufficiency, support for racial separatism" - that he did as a young man. I could easily see those ideas being transplanted to a character like Magneto.

Ohh the fucking think pieces.....
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I swear we had the “there have been other genocides” argument before. Zionist shills!
(09-13-2019, 01:33 PM)boone daniels Wrote:

Your word, Boone. Your word. That better happen by the end of the next decade.

I couldn't resist using this opportunity to talk about how Devil in a Blue Dress is not only one of the most underrated movies of the last 30-40 years, it's among Denzel's best period.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
(09-13-2019, 01:40 PM)Munson Wrote: I swear we had the “there have been other genocides” argument before. Zionist shills!

Well, yes, and obviously, it's not meant to diminish the horror and uniqueness of the Holocaust. BUT I also think the parallels are a little more solid and you can make a better case for a "black Magneto" than most, because, among other things, the Nazis directly borrowed from American eugenics programs and Jim Crow laws when designing their own methods of persecution and extermination.
If you're going to get Denzel in the MCU, go with The Beyonder.

Uh, let me clarify, that's not because I don't think Magneto should/could be black. I'm just not a big X-Men guy.
(09-13-2019, 01:40 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: I couldn't resist using this opportunity to talk about how Devil in a Blue Dress is not only one of the most underrated movies of the last 30-40 years, it's among Denzel's best period.

I've been singing the praises of Devil in a Blue Dress for years.  Always strange to me how it was largely ignored/forgotten while the very similar in tone L.A. Confidential was a roaring success.  Maybe Devil was a few years too early, I guess.

Not getting more Easy Rawlins movies is up there with not getting more Aubrey/Maturin movies after near-perfect starts-- fucking tragic.

Denzel would make a good Magneto, though I doubt he'd do it. See nothing wrong with changing the backstory-- though we already got "Black-neto" with Erik Killmonger.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Wasn't Cheadle playing Easy's good friend and sort-sociopath, Mouse? Like, young Cheadle, in one of his first roles? Man, I gotta watch that again, I think its been maybe 20 yrs.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

(09-13-2019, 01:55 PM)slim Wrote: Denzel would make a good Magneto, though I doubt he'd do it. See nothing wrong with changing the backstory-- though we already got "Black-neto" with Erik Killmonger.

Naw.  You don't change Magneto's back story for the same reason you don't change "Black Panther" to "Black Irish Panther" and recast the ethnicity.  

(09-13-2019, 02:00 PM)Neil Spurn Wrote: Wasn't Cheadle playing Easy's good friend and sort-sociopath, Mouse?  Like, young Cheadle, in one of his first roles?  Man, I gotta watch that again, I think its been maybe 20 yrs.

It actually wasn't Cheadle, it was Terrence Howard.  A common mistake.
It was?!?! Jeez, I really do need to watch it again.

(09-13-2019, 02:04 PM)Neil Spurn Wrote: It was?!?!  Jeez, I really do need to watch it again.

[Image: giphy.gif]

(09-13-2019, 02:04 PM)Neil Spurn Wrote: It was?!?! Jeez, I really do need to watch it again.

Umm yup sure was, apologize for your racism.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
In fairness, you people seem to think that us half-Indians all look the same.

(09-13-2019, 02:11 PM)Neil Spurn Wrote: In fairness, you people seem to think that us half-Indians all look the same.

*Looks at Naomi Scott*

No, I don't think we do.

See, my point exactly! Just like Scott, my father is Gujarati. I look just like her! Ovie, a liar and a racist!

Also, re-railing, I am more than happy to have muties introduced to the MCU, I just desperately want them to leave Wolverine alone for a few more years.

(09-13-2019, 02:22 PM)Neil Spurn Wrote: Just like Scott, my father is Gujarati.  I look just like her! 

[Image: giphy.gif]

(09-13-2019, 02:02 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 01:55 PM)slim Wrote: Denzel would make a good Magneto, though I doubt he'd do it. See nothing wrong with changing the backstory-- though we already got "Black-neto" with Erik Killmonger.

Naw.  You don't change Magneto's back story for the same reason you don't change "Black Panther" to "Black Irish Panther" and recast the ethnicity.  

I'd say Magneto is different on that score-- he was around for 20 years before Chris Claremont gave him that backstory. So it's not as integral to his conception.
(09-13-2019, 03:00 PM)slim Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 02:02 PM)Overlord Wrote:

I'd say Magneto is different on that score-- he was around for 20 years before Chris Claremont gave him that backstory. So it's not as integral to his conception.

I will admit that I am far removed from regularly reading X-Men (although I remember reading the issues by Claremont that explored Magneto's origin and consider them amongst the most memorable reading experiences of my life, and not just in regards to comics), but I seem to recall that Magneto's backstory was VAGUE and then Claremont explored it, it's not as though it was retconned or changed.  

In any event, the version of the character that has been alive in pop culture and comics for nearly 40 years now is that of a Holocaust survivor.  It's like arguing that a version of Batman that uses guns is just as acceptable to our current sensibilities as as a version that doesn't (originally Batman used guns to kill).

So just make him 100? What specifically cries Holocaust victim vs any other state sponsored genocide? Aside from 15 mins of Nazi hunting in First Class.
(09-13-2019, 03:16 PM)Munson Wrote: So just make him 100? What specifically cries Holocaust victim vs any other state sponsored genocide? Aside from 15 mins of Nazi hunting in First Class.

So, just make Black Panther Irish?  What specifically cries "African" vs. any other ethnic group?  Aside from just the setting and characterizations in the comic books?

But again, T'Challa being African is the sine qua non of why Lee and Kirby created him. Magneto was a pretty popular villain as a one-dimensional mutant supremacist before Claremont grafted a sympathetic backstory onto him, largely as a step toward making him *not* a villain anymore. 

Which is great, one of those 1980s innovations that later writers either kept reversing or revisiting, because some of them liked the one-dimensional thing, and others liked what Claremont had done. But Magneto might also have gone on the way he had been, and if you wanted to give him a interesting  backstory today, would you necessarily give him roots in an event 80 years past?

I'm not saying I'd change it, just that there's more room-- and reason-- to maybe play around with it.
Guys, this is Overlord's thing. Walk right up to the line of trolling behavior, but never actually cross it, before dancing away with a smirk.

Please note that his only "defense" for why Magneto can't be black is the obvious, even for him, "Why isn't Black Panther Irish, then?" Which is some shit even 4chan would be embarrassed by.

Munson's correct, though - most Holocaust survivors are in their 90s, and if the plan is to make it a present day X-Men like the rest of the MCU (technically 5 years from now if we go by the end of ENDGAME), that's a challenge. Especially since giving him some kind of Wolverine "slowed aging" power would also be a fairly fundamental change to the character as well.

However, there have been entire libraries written on the experience of growing up the child of a Holocaust survivor, and how the trauma from that event has been fundamentally encoded in the DNA of descendants, so if you wanted to make Magneto a Boomer, born in the late 40s or early 50s, you could probably do that, too.
Being an African king makes him African. And tbh he’s clearly the token black guy at this point. Making him white alters the character and what he is standing for. I mean if you want to be truly pedantic you could make him Irish considering they were the OG British colony. But even then making him Irish in theory sullies the never been colonized fantasy. Considering the context I think it’s facetious to say that the guy named Black Panther isn’t tied to his race.

Magneto has never been about his Jewishness (on film I can’t speak to the comics) beyond his intro and a short bit in First Class. Magneto being a Tutsi or Rohingya or whoever doesn’t really change his character in an over arching sense. I’m willing to buy seeing your family systemically murdered by the state is soul shattering no matter geographic location. Maybe there is something specifically Jewish about it I’m missing? Honestly I just don’t get how you can reasonably get past the age gap.
(09-13-2019, 03:36 PM)slim Wrote: But again, T'Challa being African is the sine qua non of why Lee and Kirby created him. Magneto was a pretty popular villain as a one-dimensional mutant supremacist before Claremont grafted a sympathetic backstory onto him, largely as a step toward making him *not* a villain anymore. 

Which is great, one of those 1980s innovations that later writers either kept reversing or revisiting, because some of them liked the one-dimensional thing, and others liked what Claremont had done. But Magneto might also have gone on the way he had been, and if you wanted to give him a interesting  backstory today, would you necessarily give him roots in an event 80 years past?

I'm not saying I'd change it, just that there's more room-- and reason-- to maybe play around with it.

I'm not sure anyone other than comic book purists really know, or even care, about the pre-Claremont backstory (whatever there is of it ... like you said, he's one-dimensional). 

If you're going to change an origin story that drastically from what people are familiar with, particularly when the backstory is so intrinsically linked with that character's motivations, you might as well just create a whole new character.

(09-13-2019, 03:39 PM)Munson Wrote: Being an African king makes him African. And tbh he’s clearly the token black guy at this point.  Making him white alters the character and what he is standing for. I mean if you want to be truly pedantic you could make him Irish considering they were the OG British colony. But even then making him Irish in theory sullies the never been colonized fantasy. Considering the context I think it’s facetious to say that the guy named Black Panther isn’t tied to his race.

Magneto has never been about his Jewishness (on film I can’t speak to the comics) beyond his intro and a short bit in First Class. Magneto being a Tutsi or Rohingya or whoever doesn’t really change his character in an over arching sense. I’m willing to buy seeing your family systemically murdered by the state is soul shattering no matter geographic location. Maybe there is something specifically Jewish about it I’m missing? Honestly I just don’t get how you can reasonably get past the age gap.

It's his backstory as a holocaust survivor that's most intrinsic to the character.

I'd argue that it actually has little to do with his backstory as a Holocaust survivor, and instead his Jewish heritage. Part of it is also what the character has come to represent culturally. There are very few specifically Jewish characters in comic books (Kitty Pryde and Moon Knight are two others that come to mind), and so fans have embraced Magneto's heritage, and seen it as important to them with regards to representation.

Plus, when taken in context with fans that were already miffed by Wanda and Pietor Maximoff having their Jewish heritage erased (in the films), and the whole "Nazi Cap" thing (in the comics), it's understandable that fans who appreciate Magneto as an overtly Jewish character are a bit wary.

And finally, not to play the credentials game, but I've spent a large portion of my adult/academic life studying both the Holocaust and the post-Reconstruction/Jim Crow/civil rights era in the United States. I truly think if your aim is to have Magneto shaped by a repressive, institutionalized form of racism/bigotry that shaped his motivations as a mutant for dominance and/or self-sufficiency, there are far worse historical parallels you could choose than the life of a black American the age of Denzel Washington or slightly older.

For example, why can't Magneto have been the survivor of a Tulsa Massacre-like event? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_riot) Why can't he be the son of a Medgar Evers or hell, the brother of an Emmitt Till?
My guess is it's happening right after all those movies they just announced at whatever it what. I'm guessing they use the Jonathan Hickman X-Men reboot (which is so vast I'm not sure how it only changes the X-Men, but that's a different matter) that's happening in the comics right now to explain them being out of the picture. Which means time travel stuff right out of the gate, maybe a Butterfly Effect X-Men movie where we see mutants in past MCU stuff before going underground on the Moon.
(09-13-2019, 04:31 PM)simbob Wrote: My guess is it's happening right after all those movies they just announced at whatever it what. 

I just remembered that they STILL aren't done releasing the last of the Fox X-Men/Mutant movies.  I watched Dark Phoenix and wrote up my thoughts on its place in the series and completely forgot the entire time that New Mutants still languishes, somewhere.

Dark Phoenix was rough. I hope they go to the Savage Lands, bust out Mr Sinister too. Juggernaut would be cool beans also.

Underground moon base? Yikes. I thought some other squad of mutant dorks lived on the moon? Comics!!
(09-13-2019, 04:35 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 04:31 PM)simbob Wrote: My guess is it's happening right after all those movies they just announced at whatever it what. 

I just remembered that they STILL aren't done releasing the last of the Fox X-Men/Mutant movies.  I watched Dark Phoenix and wrote up my thoughts on its place in the series and completely forgot the entire time that New Mutants still languishes, somewhere.

Yeah, apparently they're dropping the X-Men reference in that so it can maybe be part of the MCU.

(09-13-2019, 04:42 PM)Munson Wrote: Dark Phoenix was rough. I hope they go to the Savage Lands, bust out Mr Sinister too. Juggernaut would be cool beans also.

Underground moon base? Yikes. I thought some other squad of mutant dorks lived on the moon? Comics!!

Marvel moon is full of shit. Some abandoned city. Dracula. Some other abandoned city. The Watcher.
(09-13-2019, 03:37 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Guys, this is Overlord's thing. Walk right up to the line of trolling behavior, but never actually cross it, before dancing away with a smirk.

Please note that his only "defense" for why Magneto can't be black is the obvious, even for him, "Why isn't Black Panther Irish, then?" Which is some shit even 4chan would be embarrassed by.

Boone, after seeing enough random comments about you I took you off ignore and was somewhat surprised to see that apparently I've been on your mind quite a bit.

Considering I haven't responded or interacted with you much at all for many months now, your apparent fixation, trolling, and hostility directed at me is flat-out bizarre.

Is Black Panther allowed to have an Irish accent?
Colin Farrell is Black Irish Panther