Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Netflix and the BBC take on THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS
So we've apparently reached the point in history where TV has taken up the role formerly occupied by major film studios: developing rival projects around the same source material/story.

Netflix, Paramount, and Cary Fukunaga are developing a series based on James Fenimore Cooper's novel (not the Mann film) The Last of the Mohicans.

The apparent hook or draw is that they're going to tell the story from Uncas's point of view, rather than Hawkeye's. (And it appears that they're going to hew closer to the novel than Mann's film did: in the novel, the younger sister is named Cora while the older sister is Alice.)

Meanwhile, across the pond, the BBC has decided to one-up Netflix and just develop the whole fucking Leatherstocking Tales.

I can't say I'm optimistic or excited. My love for the Mann films knows no bounds, and I'm just not up for someone else taking on the material, despite Fukunaga being involved.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
The 1992 film is a perfect, perfect film; Cooper's novel is stodgy and dull. I will tune in to Fukunaga's out of curiosity, but - and I say this as an English teacher and big fan of a LOT of the BBC's adaptations of classic literature - I've a feeling the BBC's one will be stodgy, dull, and bland. Plus, in (quite rightly) updating Cooper's 18th century pampered white guy view of early America, it'll be desperately concerned with making explicitly clear how woke it is.

EDIT: This news has now prompted me to go watch Mann's The Last of the Mohicans. It's so fucking good.
The Last of the Wokhicans
I'm not Avery.
Yeah, the source material is both awful and awfully racist. I assume both projects will course-correct for that...but otherwise agree with you.

Mann's MOHICANS is annual viewing for me, but I wait until the weather has demonstrably become autumnal before watching.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear