Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Streaming Wars Catch-All Thread
(09-22-2019, 09:41 PM)Fafhrd Wrote: The channel system for Prime Video is probably my favourite thing about the service. Makes turning HBO and CBS All Access on and off super easy, and I only have to worry about one service getting hacked and leaking my credit card details instead of five.

That there's a native app for my TV is also a big plus.

It's a shame that Disney and Amazon hate each other, because that means there's no way Disney+ will be available as a channel.

I was hoping for Disney + to be on Amazon as well because, like you, I love having all of the apps there in one place.  I'll probably add it to my Apple TV, assuming it's available there.
No way Disney+ gets on Amazon. Those two are in competition to be the entire streaming ecosystem.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(09-23-2019, 10:25 AM)MichaelM Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 05:03 AM)barry woodward Wrote: Here's the list of legacy content Disney+ will be launching with:

https://www.slashfilm.com/disney-movies-...hows-list/

Some interesting omissions.

NONE of the Fox X-men movies are on that list (which is a bit surprising). None of the Netflix MCU series are, either (which is not surprising).
I believe Netflix holds on to those and Disney can't do anything with the characters for 3 years.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
WINTER SOLDIER not appearing on the list is odd, though.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

(09-23-2019, 10:25 AM)MichaelM Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 05:03 AM)barry woodward Wrote: Here's the list of legacy content Disney+ will be launching with:

https://www.slashfilm.com/disney-movies-...hows-list/

Some interesting omissions.

NONE of the Fox X-men movies are on that list (which is a bit surprising). None of the Netflix MCU series are, either (which is not surprising).

ETA: CA: Winter Soldier's not on the list. I have to assume that's an error.

Also, what?  No Solo: A Star Wars Saga!?!?

[flips table]
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

The omission of FireTV from the Disney Plus launch lineup may be temporary and relatively inconsequential. "This is likelier a last minute 'carriage fees' negotiation and not some deliberate freeze out by Amazon or Disney," says Stephan Paternot, CEO of film financing platform Slated.

Amazon did not respond to a request for comment. A Disney spokesperson said the company anticipates "finalizing agreements with additional distributors prior to the Nov. 12 launch of Disney Plus."

https://fortune.com/2019/08/19/disney-streaming-service
For anyone interested, here's a slideshow of the programs coming to HBO Max.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07/11/...rince-dune
“That which doesn't kill you wasn't done right.”—Khaya Dlanga
Disney+ just put out a trailer over three hours long showcasing the content coming to the service:

HBO Max cost $14.99 a month.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/29/2093...ui-gallery
Other than maybe Tokyo Police their slate of new shows is all kinds of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
That Ridley Scott project may also be worth a look.

Why are so many people into FRIENDS? Don't see the appeal.
There's a new Dune series, and some kind of DC anthology that could be interesting.

It's a weird lineup, since it seems obvious they realized their old services were a bust and that HBO was their best brand, so just dump everything under that moniker.
Gamertag: Tweakee
A breakdown on prices.
https://screenrant.com/streaming-service...rime-hulu/
(09-23-2019, 11:24 AM)MichaelM Wrote: No way Disney+ gets on Amazon. Those two are in competition to be the entire streaming ecosystem.

Well, guess what:

Quote:From the “cutting it close” file: Disney and Amazon have just now struck a deal to make Disney+ available on Amazon Fire TV. Disney and Amazon have had a less-than-friendly relationship in the past, with the online retailer blocking Disney and Marvel movies from pre-orders, and even restricting sales of some Disney titles. When Disney announced plans to release Disney+ over the summer, they listed several platforms the streaming service would be available – and Amazon was not among them. But they’ve decided to put their differences aside. For now.

In August, Disney announced that Disney+, its upcoming streaming service, would be available on devices from Apple, Google, Microsoft, Sony, and Roku. Notably absent: Amazon. This wasn’t a complete surprise: Disney and Amazon have had a bumpy relationship, with Amazon often restricting access to Disney products. There’s no personal vendetta here – rather, Amazon is likely trying to put Disney’s feet to the fire to get better contracts and deals with the mega-studio. As the WSJ reported last month:

Amazon is pushing for the right to sell a substantial percentage of the ad space on Disney apps, and Disney has so far resisted, according to people familiar with the situation. Some of these people say they are optimistic the companies will reach an agreement. If they don’t, Disney apps could be removed from Fire TV, the second-largest distributor of streaming TV apps. Disney has several apps, including for networks such as ABC, ESPN and Disney Channel.

If you have an Amazon device and were worried you wouldn’t be able to access Disney+ when it launches next week, worry no more. Variety says that Disney and Amazon have worked out a deal to have Disney+ available on Fire TV streaming devices, Fire TV Edition smart TVs, and compatible Fire Tablets. This means Amazon and Disney have worked out some sort of deal, but the specifics aren’t available at this time.

https://www.slashfilm.com/disney-plus-on-amazon/

In other streaming news, Disney is creating "FX On Hulu", which means that new shows that would've premiered on FX will now premiere on there instead:

Quote:When The Walt Disney Company acquired 20th Century Fox, that included the cable network FX and all of the shows that come along with it. Since Disney is also the majority stakeholder in Hulu, they’re bringing them both together with a new deal that will bring FX’s existing shows, new shows, and nearly all of their old shows exclusively to Hulu.

During a fourth quarter earnings call on Thursday, Disney CEO Bob Iger laid out the company’s plan to create “FX on Hulu” starting in March. Along with the library content of old and current shows, “FX on Hulu” will also see upcoming shows moved from airing on FX to debuting only through streaming by way of this new deal between the cable channel and streaming service. Find out more about the “FX on Hulu” deal below.

IndieWire has word on the “FX on Hulu” endeavor that will bring more than 40 of FX’s new and existing shows to the streaming service. Upcoming new original shows originally intended for FX will instead debut on Hulu. This includes upcoming shows like Alex Garland’s sci-fi series Devs, the drama Mrs. America starring Cate Blanchett, the series adaptation of Hannah Fidell’s A Teacher, and The Old Man with Jeff Bridges.

As for existing shows that are still churning out new episodes, such as It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, What We Do in the Shadows, and Pose, they will continue to premiere on FX, and then arrive on Hulu the following day.

https://www.slashfilm.com/fx-on-hulu/
“That which doesn't kill you wasn't done right.”—Khaya Dlanga
Disney is apparently giving cast members the option to get the Disney+ bundle for free -- in exchange for giving up their main gate passes, which allow them to bring guests into the park. I'm not sure how many cast members will take them up on that.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(11-08-2019, 05:55 PM)michael shaver Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 11:24 AM)MichaelM Wrote: No way Disney+ gets on Amazon. Those two are in competition to be the entire streaming ecosystem.

Well, guess what:

Quote:From the “cutting it close” file: Disney and Amazon have just now struck a deal to make Disney+ available on Amazon Fire TV. Disney and Amazon have had a less-than-friendly relationship in the past, with the online retailer blocking Disney and Marvel movies from pre-orders, and even restricting sales of some Disney titles. When Disney announced plans to release Disney+ over the summer, they listed several platforms the streaming service would be available – and Amazon was not among them. But they’ve decided to put their differences aside. For now.

In August, Disney announced that Disney+, its upcoming streaming service, would be available on devices from Apple, Google, Microsoft, Sony, and Roku. Notably absent: Amazon. This wasn’t a complete surprise: Disney and Amazon have had a bumpy relationship, with Amazon often restricting access to Disney products. There’s no personal vendetta here – rather, Amazon is likely trying to put Disney’s feet to the fire to get better contracts and deals with the mega-studio. As the WSJ reported last month:

Amazon is pushing for the right to sell a substantial percentage of the ad space on Disney apps, and Disney has so far resisted, according to people familiar with the situation. Some of these people say they are optimistic the companies will reach an agreement. If they don’t, Disney apps could be removed from Fire TV, the second-largest distributor of streaming TV apps. Disney has several apps, including for networks such as ABC, ESPN and Disney Channel.

If you have an Amazon device and were worried you wouldn’t be able to access Disney+ when it launches next week, worry no more. Variety says that Disney and Amazon have worked out a deal to have Disney+ available on Fire TV streaming devices, Fire TV Edition smart TVs, and compatible Fire Tablets. This means Amazon and Disney have worked out some sort of deal, but the specifics aren’t available at this time.

This sounds like it's been approved as an app for Amazon Fire devices, I was talking about it being available as a Prime Video Channel, which wouldn't have required a separate app.
Disney+ launched a trial run in September in the Netherlands and it turns out AGENTS OF SHIELD was the most watched series on the service followed by STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/disney-...203398208/
The early seasons of THE SIMPSONS are not available in their original aspect ratio on Disney+. Previously the Fox app allowed you to choose between the cropped versions and originals. Also, season 3 episode 1, "Stark Raving Dad", has been memory holed because it featured the voice of Michael Jackson.
Apparently the Greedo scene was changed yet again?

https://twitter.com/mikeryan/status/1194279410700083202
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Anyone know if you get the Hulu/espn bundle if Hulu is commercial free?
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
It is not.
I haven't had a chance to even download the app for my Roku, but from what my daughter one state away is saying, things are kind of glitchy/not great atm. I'm assuming that's from Disney's servers being pounded.

I finally got past the error screen using my Apple TV app (still can't on my smart tv). I can pull up the Pixar films ok, but trying to access the Marvel or Star Wars films pulls up the error.

Fun stuff.

Also, because it's not effing clear how to do this: I already have Hulu. I bought the bundle of Disney + and Hulu (and ESPN) because it said that I'd have no problem linking the accounts. Well, I'm not seeing how to link my accounts. Anyone got a clue how to do it?
Are they getting the Fox library in their too?
Not sure. I did see AVATAR listed as an available movie on the main page, though.

(11-12-2019, 12:33 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Also, because it's not effing clear how to do this: I already have Hulu.  I bought the bundle of Disney + and Hulu (and ESPN) because it said that I'd have no problem linking the accounts.  Well, I'm not seeing how to link my accounts.  Anyone got a clue how to do it?

OK, did more digging.  Supposedly, if you sign up with the same email address (which I did), then you'll get billed separately on both accounts BUT it'll still add up to the same $12.99 (plus tax) total.  We'll see if that pans out or not.
(11-12-2019, 12:40 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Not sure. I did see AVATAR listed as an available movie on the main page, though.

(11-12-2019, 12:33 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Also, because it's not effing clear how to do this: I already have Hulu.  I bought the bundle of Disney + and Hulu (and ESPN) because it said that I'd have no problem linking the accounts.  Well, I'm not seeing how to link my accounts.  Anyone got a clue how to do it?

OK, did more digging.  Supposedly, if you sign up with the same email address (which I did), then you'll get billed separately on both accounts BUT it'll still add up to the same $12.99 (plus tax) total.  We'll see if that pans out or not.

Just got an email. They give you a 5.99 credit so the bundle is $7.00 plus what you are paying for Hulu/no ads. Sp it's close to 20 a month for Disney+, Hulu no ads and ESPN+
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
Is everyone factoring in internet connectivity costs along with the streaming costs.

$20 for Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ sounds like a bargain but what's the going rate for fast speed cable/fiber?

How much is everyone paying for internet service?
Are there download quantity caps?
Throttling?
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Peruse the cord-cutting thread for more detailed discussion, but I'm currently getting 75Mbps for $49/month. That's enough for about 15 Netflix HD streams at once...
Gamertag: Tweakee
Farsight is like Ozymandias with like a wall of TVs all tuned into a different Netflix original series.
I’m in with the ESPN/Hulu/Disney bundle.

Still waiting on the breakdown e-mail. But I think it’s a little weird the way they are doing the monthly credit for those like me that already had Hulu.

I’m kinda excited for some of the ESPN stuff. I missed Boomer and TJ breaking down the NFL on Sunday’s.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
(11-12-2019, 11:56 PM)bradito Wrote: Farsight is like Ozymandias with like a wall of TVs all tuned into a different Netflix original series.

He has at least one television devoted to each movie in which Batman wears a black suit of armor.

I think I'll wait until all this streaming crap is available at the library.
Just taking in the totality of the Disney+ library, I'd say it's quite likely I'll watch my Mandalorian, and then drop this until the MCU shows materialize. There's honestly not too much available here, and once Iv'e scratched my itch with revisiting shows from my youth that I know are unwatchable now (Duck Tales, Gargoyles, X-Men), I'll have no incentive to keep this, at least until they get some original content that childless adults could get some use of.

Although for those with kids, this seems like a pretty good situation.

And it must be said, if you've got movies that you aren't allowed to stream, don't list them in your library, with a small disclaimer telling me that I can save this to watch it in April of 2021. That's a long time to wait for the fucking Lone Ranger!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(11-13-2019, 05:13 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: Just taking in the totality of the Disney+ library, I'd say it's quite likely I'll watch my Mandalorian, and then drop this until the MCU shows materialize. There's honestly not too much available here, and once Iv'e scratched my itch with revisiting shows from my youth that I know are unwatchable now (Duck Tales, Gargoyles, X-Men), I'll have no incentive to keep this, at least until they get some original content that childless adults could get some use of.

Although for those with kids, this seems like a pretty good situation.

And it must be said, if you've got movies that you aren't allowed to stream, don't list them in your library, with a small disclaimer telling me that I can save this to watch it in April of 2021. That's a long time to wait for the fucking Lone Ranger!

Agreed with all of this. I'll have to check my subscription terms (I went ahead and signed up for a year) but there's a good chance that, once all of The Mandalorian drops, I'll see about canceling. There's a LOT that's not on the service, surprisingly. Nothing from their Touchstone division, as far as I can tell (or nearly nothing), almost no Fox content, and some weird gaps in their Disney content. (Something Wicked This Way Comes, for instance. And the phenomenal, mostly 2D animation, short "Paper Man" as another example.)

And agree with the "look at all this content you'll get in several months!" bullshit. Feels like they launched too early, or overpromised.

I was able to get the free year of Disney+ by having Verizon Unlimited. When that's over we'll probably opt for the Hulu/Disney/ESPN bundle. Watched Tron last night, and also am excited to relive the old old movies like The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, That Darn Cat, etc. My wife watched the original Parent Trap, and then some Christmas movie. Also haven't watched EndGame since I saw it in the theater, so I'll watch that again.