Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Streaming Wars Catch-All Thread
I'll give Disney+ a spin at some point, but as an adult with no kids, there's really only nostalgia and The Mandalorian as real selling points. I can seeing myself dipping in for a month at a time, but don't see subscribing on a longer term basis.

Honestly, The Criterion Channel and HBO really cover all my needs as it is.
"Such is the heroic burden. We must always mourn our fallen. Gone Forever! Dead like Robin! Like Supergirl! Deceased like Superman! Hal Jordan! All gone! I weep for them, and know that someday I shall join them. I must go weep. Like a hero." -- Kyle Baker
"We presented The Simpsons in 16:9 aspect ratio at launch in order to guarantee visual quality and consistency across all 30 seasons. Over time, Disney+ will roll out new features and additional viewing options. As part of this, in early 2020, Disney+ will make the first 19 seasons (and some episodes from Season 20) of The Simpsons available in their original 4:3 aspect ratio, giving subscribers a choice of how they prefer to view the popular series."

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/si...203407099/
I'll give them props for that. What FX did to the ratios was insulting to the animators, writers, and audience. Now future generations won't have their minds poisoned by The Simpsons: Special Edition.

(It would be hilarious if it was a 4:3 crop of the 16:9 crop at 240i resolution)
While not specifically about streaming...and it's been mentioned here before...a great many old 4:3 shows have been 'remixed' to fit the new 16:9 standard.
Are there still people out there that complain about the 'black bars'?
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Yeah they did it with Buffy and Charmed and it exposed a bunch of film equipment and what not on the sides.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(09-20-2019, 11:50 AM)filmnerdjamie Wrote: The only streaming channel we pay for is Netflix, and we plan on keeping it that way. The rest is stuff like YouTube, Pluto TV and the various free film services like Crackle.

Hulu offered $2 a month for the next year (plus an additional $15 for HBO). So we figured "Fuck it."

And having seen Disney+ (My brother got it for free through his plan and we're sharing that and Hulu together), there isn't really that much despite all that hype.

The real ending to Big...
I can see Disney+ being a dream for people who really love Disney, it's got that back-catalog and all types of Disney propaganda on it, it's like the North Korea of streamers.

At some point it might be worth it but right now it's just The Mandalorian and a lot of stuff I've already seen plenty of times or a few other new things that I could care less about.
the empire never ended
It's wild to think Disney has convinced Star Wars dweebs to cough up $70/year to watch a TV show.
Basically the opposite of DC Universe then!
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(12-16-2019, 07:01 PM)headless fett Wrote: Basically the opposite of DC Universe then!

Yeah....im going to miss you Swamp Thing.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Seems like Disney+ is doing fine so far.
https://variety.com/2019/biz/features/st...203439700/