Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC's THE WAR OF THE WORLDS (2019)
I was unaware of this project's existence, but before year's end, BBC is delivering what looks to be a very high-quality, classy, and period-appropriate adaptation of WAR OF THE WORLDS...

They seem to have tinkered with the original story's focus (which was very much a man on a solitary trek through the "war") by having the protagonist and his beloved apparently together instead of split apart, but other than that, it appears quite faithful.  I love the book and am a fan of the radio, 1953, and 2005 adaptations, so I'm all-in to see how this turns out.

If there's a downside, it's that it puts my dream adaptation of Jeff Wayne's musical version of WAR OF THE WORLDS even further off into the future!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I remember my 16 year old self being naively disappointed that Spielberg's film didn't somehow use an orchestral version of Jeff Wayne's musical. As far as I'm concerned, that is - and always will be - the book's definitive adaptation.

However, this does look good. Spall, Tomlinson, and Carlyle are all terrific. I'm a bit wary of the tripod designs - they look a bit character-less and sleek, as if their main concern was making sure they didn't look too similar to the awesome Jeff Wayne and Spielberg tripods. The book keeps referring to their cockpits as 'hoods', so I've always imagined them as having a distinct 'head'.

Plus, it's about time we got a period TWotW. There have been so many alien invasion stories since that it seems pointless to leave out something which still makes it so distinct.

I wonder how they'll drama-up the ending. You can't adapt TWotW and change that basic idea, but the 1953 and 2005 versions kind of peter out - especially the 2005 version, where it's only in retrospect that you realise the climax - Cruise blowing up the tripod - was the climax. The musical's idea of the journalist having a suicidal break and dashing towards the tripods, only to realise what's happened, is pretty top notch.
The musical is great because the songs (in addition to Burton's narration) really allow us to get into the characters' headspaces and set a tone in a way that you can't achieve normally unless you want to go with copious, clunky voice-over.

I agree that the new tripods are a bit underwhelming, but they'll probably grow on me some more. The very brief glimpse of a Martian at the end looked suitably threatening (if very CG-y).

As for the ending, I would expect they concoct something resembling an action climax before leading into the novel's denouement.
The best adaptation of War Of The Worlds is obviously the video game based on the musical based on the book.
Well, obviously.
Looks like it'll be worth checking out.

It would've been cool if Ray Harryhausen had been able to get his version off the ground:

I'd never seen that test before. Very cool find!
(09-30-2019, 02:26 PM)rexbanner Wrote: I remember my 16 year old self being naively disappointed that Spielberg's film didn't somehow use an orchestral version of Jeff Wayne's musical. As far as I'm concerned, that is - and always will be - the book's definitive adaptation.

Man you were a much better 16 year old than me.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina