Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019-2020 NBA Season
Hell yeah:

"Game 6 of the '98 finals is the most watched NBA game ever.

We're bringing you "Game 6 The Movie," the full-game telecast in HD with never-before-seen footage captured by #TheLastDance cameras.

May 20, 9pm ET on ESPN"

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1262228505309388801

A Last Laugh:

"#TheLastDance In 2000 none of #DaBulls nor Phil Jackson wanted to accept the Team of the Decade trophy so the ESPYs asked Da Super Fans. We chose to play it as bitter as real Bulls fans & basically went Triumph on the 2 Jerrys. Brutal. Michael's cathartic laugh made it worth it."

https://twitter.com/TriumphICDHQ/status/...0936231936

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

This lady...

[Image: image.php?type=thumbnail_1024x576&url=0duBVH_0P4zyIHg00]

So in the end, fuck Jerry Reinsdorf.

(05-18-2020, 03:02 AM)Fat Elvis Wrote: We're bringing you "Game 6 The Movie," the full-game telecast in HD with never-before-seen footage captured by #TheLastDance cameras.

May 20, 9pm ET on ESPN"

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1262228505309388801

Did anybody watch this? I totally fucking forgot. Doesn't look like they're replaying it.

(05-18-2020, 04:53 AM)Fat Elvis Wrote: This lady...

[Image: image.php?type=thumbnail_1024x576&url=0duBVH_0P4zyIHg00]

"GODDAMN YOU!"

The Athletic tracked her down. Pretty funny - https://theathletic.com/1820724/2020/05/...ers-heads/

She's had Pacers season tickets since 1976!

Quote:Kathy Martin Harrison remembers traveling through the Nashville airport in the early 1990s and encountering Pistons Hall of Famer Joe Dumars.

“He sees us and goes, ‘Oh my God, it’s those people from the Pacer games.’”

[Image: Philly-Daily-News-Sports-pdf.jpg]
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Watching this vid on Pippen/Barkley... is it me or is Scottie Pippen a passive-aggressive weirdo?

I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
As a Rockets fan, I was definitely on Barkley's side in the divorce. In fairness to Pip, as good a Coach Rudy was during the Championship runs, he really mismanaged that Big 3.

I can't find it on YT, but Barkley was covering the 2000 or maybe 2001 playoffs, and the Blazers were playing the Lakers. Wryly tongue in cheek, Barkley wouldn't call him by his name. He'd say 'good play by # 33, or #33 is having a good game'. My friend and I thought it was funny.

Speaking of the Rockets: Anyone remember this one? Classic Mad Max!

"This NSFW video of Vernon Maxwell casually walking into the stands and smacking fire out of a heckling fan while Bill Gates watches and Jerry Seinfeld provides the 'Inside Stuff', is the oddest thing you'll see on the internet today."

https://twitter.com/Howsito/status/1262953164191522817

One cool bit about The Last Dance: They did an interview with Steve Kerr about his father's death where he got emotional when they showed him a video of his dad speaking in Beirut...

His reaction was in large part because the Kerr family had never seen the video before.
Gamertag: Tweakee
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2922...dream-team

Quote:Old audio of Michael Jordan has surfaced in which he says he told NBA executive Rod Thorn, who was part of the USA Basketball selection committee, that he wouldn't play on the Dream Team in 1992 if Detroit Pistons star point guard Isiah Thomas was also selected to the team.

"Rod Thorn called me, and I said, 'Rod, I won't play if Isiah Thomas is on the team,'" Jordan is heard telling reporter Jack McCallum in a 2011 interview, which was aired on his podcast "The Dream Team Tapes."

"[Thorn] assured me," Jordan is heard saying in the old interview. "He said, 'You know what? Chuck doesn't want Isiah. So, Isiah is not going to be part of the team.'"

Now, Jordan has been caught in multiple lies regarding this story, so you can't assume he was telling the truth back in '92, either...

But Chuck Daly not wanting Isiah on the team would be pretty damning.
Gamertag: Tweakee
Chuck Daly was already planning his exit, obviously. He rode his horses til they broke down, and was ready to movie to greener pastures. Very similar to Doc In Boston and even Phil in Chicago and LA (to a lesser degree). Very Similar to what Larry Brown always did. Rodman was devastated.

If you're an old school NBA armchair historian, I strongly recommend the Twitter account PRO HOOPS HISTORY. Here's a neat thread:

"Schayes came up to my camp one summer in the 60’s , hit 49 of 50 foul shots blindfolded then hit a 3/4 court shot through 3 rafters in the “barn” ..."

https://twitter.com/ProHoopsHistory/stat...3927652358

"Hello, time to stan for Dolph Schayes.

6'8" forward who rained 25-foot shots, drove and finished at the basket with either hand, grabbed double-digit boards, became 90% foul shooter, missed three games in his first 13 seasons, perpetually in motion on offense to tire defenders"

"Also, I desperately want game film of Schayes's 1959 Eastern Division Finals versus Boston. It was one of those series that was the "real" NBA Finals for the season.

Syracuse-Boston went to seven games. Boston wins and sweep the overmatched Minneapolis Lakers."

"Schayes averaged 37/14/9 in Games 6 and 7 to nearly upend the Celtics. He and George Yardley swear that was the best team Syracuse ever fielded, even more than the 1955 team that actually won the title."

"1959 Nationals certainly had a squad:

Schayes
Yardley
Larry Costello
Hal Greer
Red Kerr
Al Bianchi
Bob Hopkins

Problem was they had only acquired Yardley at the trade deadline, so didn't have enough time fully gel, while Boston's roster was fully familiarized with each other."

"So, that whole familiarity thing makes a difference in a Game 7 on the road.

Nats were up 115-108 with six minutes left in the game. Celtics come back to win 130-125."

Classic:

https://twitter.com/Super70sSports/statu...6316232709

I groan thinking how much garbage McDonald's I devoured as a kid because I thought it was what all the best players ate!

surprised the haven't rebooted the commercial with Steph and Klay
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones

I hope they reboot this commercial:

One More: This might be the first NBA player commercial I ever saw or at least remember:

Zach Lowe: "If you don’t understand the killing of George Floyd is the product of centuries-old systemic wrongs–if you’re somehow uneasy about the protests--that’s on you. You haven’t tried. You haven’t thought beyond your own experiences and privilege. Change requires empathy and action."

https://twitter.com/ProHoopsHistory/stat...9031321601

"The basketball autobiographies I've been using for my dissertation have one pretty stark divide...

The white players usually had nothing about the cops and racism. The black players usually did."

"These are guys who played during the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s.

Overwhelming majority go through the motions of recalling how they learned to play, contract disputes and crappy travel, games won and lost... but that divide on talking about racism has been pretty noticeable."

And the white players who do bring up racism only get to it AFTER they've joined the NBA and start noticing how black players got treated.

"Here's an example of how "inelegant" white players could be addressing race."

"Ed Macauley (white) first talks about sharing food with Chuck Cooper (black). Then that second paragraph hits and it's a bunch of cluelessness of a white dude who ain't thought too hard on racism."

[Image: EZNkv6wXYAAMCoC.jpg:large]

"I remember first reading that being like, "Well, this is nice. Macauley having no problem eating out the same container as a black teammate.""

"Then that 2nd paragraph: "Oh... Cooper being called the n-word is not good. Cooper also being housed separately from the rest of the guys on the road may not have been a problem for 'the team,' but it was probably a problem for Cooper!" Didn't enter Macauley's mind though."

"Anyways, that quote comes from "From Set Shot to Slam Dunk" by Charles Salzberg. Great book!"

I am not sure about other tv markets, but here in LA the ABC station is now showing The Last Dance on Saturday nights, last Sat was eps 1-2 so I am starting to get caught up.
I guess I jinxed myself by posting that.  Last night's showing of episodes three and four was preempted by local riot coverage.  Both were showing again today but then the mayor made a speech and its still on local coverage.