Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019-2020 NBA Season
My beloved Heat got absolutely crushed. Their three best players all left the game with injuries as well. Looks like this series will be four quick blowouts, unfortunately.
As maybe the lone Lakers fan around these parts, I gotta say I'm feeling pretty good.

Heat have no answers for AD, Howard, or any of the Lakers near 7 footers.
No one has an answer for AD or Lebron. They were the favorites from day one, and they're showing why now.
"I'm from the old school, I used to see men die for less - but I'm not livin' that way. I'll let my mic do the talking...and let the music play" - Joseph Conrad
The Sixers are defiantly a team Doc Rivers could blow a 3-1 lead with.
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
Sixers are perfect for Doc Rivers: They are the Clippers of the Eastern Conference, all this swagger and never having won jack shit.
(10-01-2020, 12:20 PM)history buff Wrote: As maybe the lone Lakers fan around these parts, I gotta say I'm feeling pretty good.

I also live in LA and am a Lakers fan.  I moved here in 1999 so got to enjoy the three-peats.

I was trying to be kind, complimenting coach Spoelstra and then Elvis was triggered.  So I didn't want to say anything about the game.

I also feel bad about saying anything because the Heat injuries will no doubt change the series.
(10-02-2020, 01:27 AM)Rylander Wrote:
(10-01-2020, 12:20 PM)history buff Wrote: As maybe the lone Lakers fan around these parts, I gotta say I'm feeling pretty good.

I also live in LA and am a Lakers fan.  I moved here in 1999 so got to enjoy the three-peats.

I was trying to be kind, complimenting coach Spoelstra and then Elvis was triggered.  So I didn't want to say anything about the game.

I also feel bad about saying anything because the Heat injuries will no doubt change the series.

Jeff Pearlman's new book: Three Ring Circus about the Kobe, Shaq, Phil Jackson years certainly sounds like an interesting read,
I heard about that book on the radio this week and it piqued my interest.

I find the Rondo subplot pretty fascinating.  Here's a guy that all Lakers fans are predisposed to hate.  Because we lost to the Celtics in the Finals a few years ago.

And somehow, after a lot of time off for injuries, he returns for the playoffs and suddenly has the 3 point shot of late era Jason Kidd.  (and many other great intangibles)

I have to wonder if Jason himself is responsible for this, being a Lakers assistant coach.
Is anyone else watching the game tonight?

It's been pretty tense, Jimmy and LeBron both going off.  Currently there's about 45 seconds left and the score is close.

Edit: Lakers lose.

I kind of felt it coming because the media all assumed it would end tonight.  There were news bulletins advising fans not to celebrate outside Staples Center (by torching cars and stuff).  They wore the mamba jerseys, etc.  That's just asking for a karmic bitchslap.
Reminder that three teams traded away Jimmy Butler.
I am actually happy for Jimmy for finally finding the perfect fit with a team culture.  And props to him for holding out for a good situation.
Great game, Lakers really blew it on that last possession. Danny Green needs to hit that shot, I mean he was wide open.

Lakers need to win on Sunday, they do not want to go to a 7th game.
It is so much harder for a jump shooter when the pass is way off the mark.
Gamertag: Tweakee
(10-09-2020, 11:41 PM)serpico jones Wrote: Reminder that three teams traded away Jimmy Butler.
I don't think you can really consider the Bulls much of a team. They did him a favor by trading him away as they would have never built around him. Philly is the team that should be ashamed.
Wow, that was crazy.  Lakers went off in the 2nd quarter and had a 30 point lead.

Nice move by Vogel to alter the starting lineup.  It allowed their defense to switch better.  And put AD at the 5.

As the announcers showed, AD was otherworldly on defense tonight.  That was the real difference.

Also, I will give credit to the team for understanding that the white jerseys are what you wear on Sunday for pete's sake.  Doing that and not assuming you have already won was the way to go.
Lakers !!

I honestly didn't think the Lakers would win it all when they restarted the season, they looked a bit shaky. But once the playoffs started they looked much better. The Clippers choking against Denver was huge because that was the one team that could have knocked off the Lakers. Alas, that didn't happen. Congrats to Lebron and Jennie Buss, the one true female majority owner in pro sports.
At least one thing in 2020 followed the natural order of things.

I'm not at all surprised that the Clippers hired Ty Lue.  It was the obvious choice the whole time, as I stated.  I am surprised it took so long and that they went through the formalities of interviewing other candidates and Lue being interviewed by other teams.

I am far more of a Lakers fan for the record.  I think the Clips need to trade Paul George.  I never full believed that Playoff P is a real thing.  Especially when Dame Lillard drank his f'in milkshake last year!  He's a great player and shooter for sure but somehow keeps shying from the moment when it comes to buckets.

Like, what if Houston or LA Clippers can trade a truckload of assets for Giannis?  

If I were the GM in Philly I would blow it up.  Keep only Embiid, and Harris, and maybe some youngsters.  I know Simmons has talent but I am not a fan.

Edit:  Sorry forgot to mention, there was a rumor about PG being involved with Coach's daughter and cheating on her in the bubble... around the time Doc was terminated.  I'm not trying to validate that, I am skeptical of it.  Other main disappointment was the lackluster play of 3 key role players who missed time in the bubble - Lou, Trez, Pat Bev

Edit: Whatever happened between PG 13 and the Rivers family was old news.  Here's the story about Doc's daughter

https://fanbuzz.com/nba/doc-rivers-daughter/
[Image: 87n4hnq3jey51.jpg]

So Harden and Westbrook want out. The main teams in the mix are Philly and the Nets. These guys are such pussies. Harden was given everything to win and he couldn't do it. I don't think they have it in them to lead a team over the top. Either going to Brooklyn would be a disaster but Harden would work the best. Philly is the better landing spot. If Harden does go to Philly not sure where Westbrook could land. Maybe the Bucks would go all out to get him

I'm just glad the Bulls aren't in the mix.
Hmmm. Could be another tank season for the Warriors.
The ESPN Draft crew makes me long for Jalen fucking Rose.

Hard to get excited about this thing anymore. Ralph Sampson comes out, everyone knows who he is. Patrick Ewing. Olajuwon. Larry Johnson. Now, number 4 is a kid who played 1 year and averaged 9 points. He seems like a good dude, but hard to go 'yay!'.

I don't understand the fascination with the Ball brothers. They have the swag, but at best you're getting Kings era Jason Williams. I think Cole Anthony would be the guy you'd want on your team.

I like Dallas' draft pick. If you're out there Z, this Bud's for you.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

I saw Jalen Rose in a Starbucks in downtown LA about 5 years ago.  People didn't seem to recognize him, and it took me a minute.  The giveaway (besides height) was actually a Barry Sanders era Detroit Lions wool cap that he was wearing, since it was fall/winter.

When his order came up they called out Jay.  That was when I finally affirmed that I recognized him.  I got the impression that his fam lives in Michigan still and he has a downtown LA place to stay for his ESPN stuff.  The Starbucks in question was near the Millennium Biltmore hotel, which always has entertainment shoots happening.  And they have some residences apparently.

I think he's around my age, maybe a few years younger.
Everybody's talkin' Holiday to Milwaukee, but CP3 to Suns is pretty intriguing to me. That team was already young and fun; and CP could be the instant transformative leader needed to take big step (old head reference) a la Mo Cheeks to the Spurs back in the day. It's invaluable just being around a total professional.

Klay Thompson done for the year. Not sure what the Warriors do, tank again or start trading guys.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/klay-...lles-tear/
Don't see them trading guys now. Certainly not trading Steph. Wiggins making too much to be dealt. Maybe Draymond, but that would be more of a mid-season move if they're looking to clear up space for any particular 2021 free agents.

Rest of the roster is all young guys not making much.

Edit: And now they have traded for Kelly Oubre.
That's a shame for Thompson. You have to wonder if that'll be a career-ending injury, at least for his status as an all-star. Two years of years of not playing due to two major leg injuries. It helps that his game isn't dependent on burst, but that's a lot of rust, aging and body changes to overcome.

On a personal note... I guess I can skip another NBA season!
If you just root for one team and that's it, you're not really down with the art form. Some of you guys that jumped on the Warriors bandwagon never talked about them til they started winning. You've been here since '04, don't recall you going nuts for the Baron Davis upset of Dallas.

In other words, if you're a fan of the game, you're a fan of the game.

Dominique went down in '91. I didn't go, well, I can skip the season now.

That was a bit of hyperbole. The NBA regular season hasn't interested me in years; it's just too long, and everybody half-decent makes the playoffs. Plus, I've dropped cable, so unless the Warriors make the playoffs, I'll only see games at a (COVID-free) bar.

I was a fan during Run TMC. My favorite all-time player is Manute Bol. For years, my biggest playoff highlight was a 125-124 win against Magic in the Forum... in a series the Warriors lost in 5.

Your fandom purity test doesn't impress me!

But I get it, if you're a Hawks fan, your perspective is a bit skewed since for you fandom involves cutting yourself before every game, then getting blackout drunk after.
(11-19-2020, 08:53 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: If you just root for one team and that's it, you're not really down with the art form.
Gotta love the gatekeepers.
So, the Lakers are working on their roster for next season.  Count Chocula-haired Danny Green traded to OKC for Dennis Schroder.  Dwight Howard signing with Philly.  Wesley Matthews and my guy Montrezl Harrell signing with the Lakers.

So far I am still optimistic.