Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Afternoon, everybody: The Cheers/Frasier Appreciation Thread.
Had no idea about Spencer, either. I wish he'd lived in times when it would've been seen as good/unremarkable.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(10-02-2019, 10:02 AM)Misfit Wrote: Huh. I didn't know either of those things, either. I'm trying to think of what I might have seen him in outside of Frasier and SAY ANYTHING. Good actor. "I'm incarcerated, Lloyd!"

He's good as the White Sox manager in EIGHT MEN OUT and the drunk writer in BARTON FINK.

He also made for one helluva mock-Paul Newman:

Oh yeah, he's fantastic as fake William Faulkner in BARTON FINK.
home taping is killing music
(10-02-2019, 10:19 AM)boone daniels Wrote: Oh yeah, he's fantastic as fake William Faulkner in BARTON FINK.
"Ah give mah honey love, and she pays me back with pity, *the basest coin they're is*..."

Had no idea he was British.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
His VO work as the major in The Iron Giant is another good 'un.
(10-02-2019, 10:03 AM)boone daniels Wrote: We should just have a thread called "Boone Tells Michael (and friends!) Things They Didn't Know About Celebrities."

Gay: http://www.newnownext.com/why-i-didnt-ou...y/02/2018/ (This is just one of several articles written after his death. It seems like he was an intensely private guy - see British - so I don't think he was "out" per se. That was a mistake of wording on my part. But he also wasn't "closeted" either. The article from NNN goes into the ambiguous, private nature of the way he lived his life - again, fellow NBC star/working class hero John Spencer seemed to have been the same way. That said, when Mahoney passed, there was an embracing/acknowledgement of him as an LGBT actor from LGBT Twitter. Which is Twitter.)

That same article also mentions that Dan Butler ("Bulldog" from Frasier) is ALSO gay in real life. Wow. Seriously, I'm learning all kinds of new shit in this thread.
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

...and he was in Silence of the Lambs.

Kelsey Grammer was the one that was riding choppers and marrying strippers and doing coke by the brick and cast in X-Men, Stallone and Michael Bay movies. He's had a seriously tough life. One sister murdered. Another killed by a shark. Drug addictions. Crazy..
As someone who doesn't see sexuality I definitely appreciate these articles.
Dan Butler talked about that part of his life a lot when Frasier was going. Seemed to enjoy playing a character that was the complete opposite of who he was in reality.

Speaking of him I never got how a radio station had a psychiatric advice show leading into sports talk.
Speaking of Mahoney...

"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
I DID know that about Butler and it made me appreciate his performance on Frasier all the more.

BTW, not that anyone cares or was wondering, but I figured out the episode I was looking for. Season 9, Episode 3.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Mahoney's face when Rebecca tells him "Cheers" has two "e's" is incredible.
Hey guys, Ive never posted on these boards, but after literally binging through Cheers on Netflix and seeing this thread pop up (after finishing the series finale today). I have to come out of hiding.

I only remember this show when I was about to go to bed as a kid. I would see the opening and hear the theme song, and knew it was time to go upstairs and hit the hay. The closeup of the man smiling as the producers name we’re displayed. It was seared into my brain since age 5.

So, since I finally binged through this show thanks to Netflix, I can see why this is one of the greatest sitcoms of all time. The characters, the setting, and the comedy all hit me the right way throughout it’s 11 season. Not a beat was missed, and everything felt so seamless (even through the transition from Diane to Rebecca).

What a show.
Glad you got to check the show out. This thread is definitely giving me the itch to do some episode rewatches.
(10-03-2019, 12:13 AM)Alt-molt Wrote: Glad you got to check the show out. This thread is definitely giving me the itch to do some episode rewatches.

Same here. Don’t know if I could do a full re-watch of either though.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Welcome, Abe! Pull up a barstool and stay a while.

I watched the pilot and second episode yesterday. Joke in the pilot that killed me:

Diane, visiting the bar for the first time: "Excuse me, where's your bathroom?"
Coach: "Right next to my bedroom."

Mahoney instantly switching to lech mode in the clip above is the best. "What's the matter, babe? Can't work with a man you're attracted to?"
What an appropriate thread for a new poster to show up. Welcome!
I watched the one last night where Frasier, Sam, Cliff and Norm go on a road trip to find their "inner hairy man." They end up getting stranded in the middle of nowhere and fearing for their lives. This exchange rules:

Cliff: I never pictured that the four of us would go out like this.

Norm: How did you picture it, Cliff?

Cliff: Well, I pictured, uh, Sammy getting topped by a jealous husband. Norm, I figured you'd, you know, heart attack. Frasier here...

Frasier: Cliff, I, I don't want to hear it.

Cliff: You bet you don't.
Frasier gets accused of not living on the edge enough:

"Look! I am running...with scissors!"
*proceeds to actually run around the bar with scissors*
Great episode. "Well obviously the buffet."
Frasier kills me when he rips into Sam because Sam keeps talking about how great it was hitchhiking with his old friend Buck.

"You know, frankly, Sam, I'm getting a little tired of hearing about Saint Buck!"
It's worth noting that Wings was part of the Cheersverse too. Not on the same level, but I always thought it was an amiable show that was elevated by a really solid cast.
I'm sure it doesn't hold up well but back in the day I liked Wings because 1) Weber and Daily had great chemistry together as brothers and 2) TV crush on Crystal Bernard.

Wings was good, but hanging around a small airport isn't quite as fun as hanging out in a bar. Real fun ensemble though. It was at its best when they added Shalhoub to the cast.

If we're really digging into the Cheersverse we'd be remiss if we didn't bring up...

[Image: 250px-The_tortellis_premiere_print_ad.jpg]
Hedaya deserved better. Too bad Jean Kasem's heat from GHOSTBUSTERS couldn't deliver a bigger audience.
Knowing Hedaya only as Nick and then seeing him in COMMANDO blew my mind. It was one of the first realizations that actors can be called upon to play very different characters.
I felt the same way, only about BLOOD SIMPLE.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Another Cheers moment that blew my mind was when they did their 200th episode special (moderated by John McLaughlin!) and they showed a clip package and played the full version of the opening theme. All these new lyrics that I hadn't heard before sent me into a state of dizzying splendor. I spent weeks annoying anyone within earshot by constantly bellowing "All those nights when you've got no lights, the check is in the mail!"
YES, the McLaughlin special! I've tended to skip that when I've rewatched it, but I forget all of the Great Bostonians of the 80s visited Cheers, including McLaughlin, Tip O'Neill and Kevin McHale.

I remember reading this surprisingly dramatic 3,000 word article by the creator of the theme who goes into GREAT detail (with audio clips!) on the journey of creating the song:

Quote:FATE

In the fall of 1981, Gary Portnoy and Judy Hart were at a crossroads in their respective lives. Gary was in between songwriting partners and had just been fired as a staff writer for a major music publisher, and Judy had recently enrolled the youngest of her three kids in the first grade. One night Judy was out to dinner and found herself seated next to a Broadway producer who was looking for someone to compose the score for his new musical.

[Image: 1-Preppies-Original-Cast-album-new.jpg?resize=300%2C293]

Almost on a whim, Portnoy and Hart decided to take a shot at collaborating on the songs for the musical entitled “Preppies”. (Gary had never written for the theatre before and Judy had never written a song!) They began the project with low expectations (but very high spirits!)

Working on an upright piano in the bedroom of Judy’s Central Park West apartment, they composed the opening musical number to “Preppies”. The song was called
“People Like Us”. It had a lilting melody and its lyrics poked fun at the lifestyle of decadent old-money WASPs.

Several months later Gary and Judy were contacted by a Hollywood producer. It seemed that he had heard a tape of “People Like Us” and was calling to tell them that even though they did not know it, they had written the theme song to “Cheers”, a new show that would be debuting on NBC the following fall. The producer told Gary and Judy that all they needed to do to seal the deal was re-write the words to “People Like Us” and make the new lyrics relate to a bunch of likeable losers who populated a certain bar in Boston.

https://www.garyportnoy.com/cheers-story/
Holy shit, the full episode of the live Tonight Show that aired after the finale where the whole cast is hammered is up on Youtube:

I remember watching that Tonight Show and being miffed that Paul Wilson wasn't featured. He was all over the program the last few seasons!
If I'm remembering correctly, this and the Hugh Grant interview were two things that Jay used to get ahead of Dave at the time.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Well this was before Dave started at CBS, probably aired a few weeks before Dave wrapped his NBC show.

The Hugh Grant appearance was definitely what put Leno over the top ratings wise.
Ahhh. You are correct. The early 90's are clearly blurring in my old age.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Couldn't find it with a quick search, but there's a great scene where Paul is clearly trying come out of the closet but everybody tells him to shut up before he can finish his speech so they can focus on the problem at hand.