Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
TERMINATOR: DARK FATE Post-Release Discussion
Good: Arnold and Hamilton are wonderful. The entire backstory to his Terminator had me cracking up. Surprisingly good plot twist.

Bad: Tim Miller's direction is awful. Deadpool worked because it was a comedy. Faulty staging of action, nauseating editing, terrible shots, and way too much shaky cam for a 2019 movie. If there's anything I really, truly dislike about this movie, it's the visual aspect.

Ugly: Nothing feels earned. It's not a bad movie by any stretch. For all intents and purposes, this is pretty much what could have been if Cameron had, say, busted out on True Lies or decided to tackle a third movie post-Titanic. Stuck with this sort of assembly-line mentality, the new characters have too much exposition and while the Rev-9 is fucking badass, there's never a sense of crushing danger like the T-800 or T-1000 had.

It's on the level of Genisys (which I seem to be odd man out for enjoying), but it ain't the originals.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
The Linda Hamilton de aging seems to be taken from T2.

So they eliminate Skynet but replace it with a different AI that's exactly the same? Talk about lazy.
It's pretty boilerplate. Linda Hamilton's having a good time, but everything else is just kind of... there.

But hey, they brought back the country song from the bar scene at the beginning of T2.
That's a Dwight Yokum song.

... What? He was the weird guy in Panic Room.
I guess calling this Dork Fat was prescient on my part after all.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
"on the level of Genisys" is all I needed to read to cement my decision to skip this one entirely.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(11-01-2019, 07:37 AM)MichaelM Wrote: "on the level of Genisys" is all I needed to read to cement my decision to skip this one entirely.

That one wasn't awful! It was kind of meh and convuluted as fuck and not paticularly good at all ESPECIALLY the third act... But I remember more about it than Salvation.
Well, it was nice seeing Hamilton again.

That's about the only kind thing I can say about this one though. These last few have retroactively made me hate Salvation less, even though it's boring as fuck. At least they tried a different angle with Salvation.

For my money, if they wanted to keep the Terminator franchise going without ass-raping the themes and POINT of the first two films, they should have stuck it out with T:TSCC. I wouldn't mind seeing Lena Headey step into the Connor role again.
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
And bring back Summer Glau.
(11-01-2019, 07:46 AM)freeman Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 07:37 AM)MichaelM Wrote: "on the level of Genisys" is all I needed to read to cement my decision to skip this one entirely.

That one wasn't awful!  It was kind of meh and convuluted as fuck and not paticularly good at all ESPECIALLY the third act...  But I remember more about it than Salvation.

The opposite for me. SALVATION had Christian Bale in INTENSE MODE, and a visual style that wasn't a flat echo/imitation of the MCU house style. GENISYS had all the visual flair of a Dorito's commercial.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

(11-01-2019, 07:48 AM)Anjin Wrote: Well, it was nice seeing Hamilton again.

That's about the only kind thing I can say about this one though. These last few have retroactively made me hate Salvation less, even though it's boring as fuck. At least they tried a different angle with Salvation.

For my money, if they wanted to keep the Terminator franchise going without ass-raping the themes and POINT of the first two films, they should have stuck it out with T:TSCC.  I wouldn't mind seeing Lena Headey step into the Connor role again.

I wish they had the balls to stick with the original ending of Salvation. I love the idea of Skynet basically creating their worst enemy. If there was any actual truth to the Connor getting replaced by Marcus rumors that is. It would have lead to more creative options than the basic rehashes we got after.
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
This looks WORSE than Genisys.

The last time I got a headache from shaky cam and nonsensical editing was the Statham/Owen trashfest Killer Elite... in 2011, when this bullshit was in vogue.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
I thought this was fine. Sweet and cute. It’s kind of a forwakens repeat by way of SOLO’s pleasantness?

I thought the action was pretty solid until it became a lot of VFX overload

But then I’ve never been invested in more expansion of the terminator movies beyond the first two. So it’s no biggie.
I liked Genisys better. This just felt utterly inconsequential.

I get what they were going for with John being killed and Sarah finding a "new" John, but it just didn't really have much of an emotional impact. I guess it didn't help that Sarah had this sarcastic air about her. They were probably going for world-weary and defeatist, but it ended up feeling like she just wasn't really fazed by anything, which sucked out the tension.

Many people complained about what they did to John in Genisys, but that at least kept him around and (in my opinion) made for a kinda interesting villain. He wasn't just there to kill yet another future resistance leader, he was there to ensure the "birth" of Skynet/Genisys, including building his own time machine and shit. Killing John to me just sent the message that none of this shit matters. The future will just change and adapt and we'll be right back where we started.

And if they were just going to retread the same ground with a new future resistance leader, why not think more outside the box than "this time she's a woman and Mexican!"? I would love to see some spoiled asshole of a rich kid being the future resistance leader. Someone that has never had to fight for anything. Give the character a real arc.

Or since there are apparently all these alternative, potential futures, how about a situation where multiple terminators have been sent back from different futures and they realize that they also have to fight each other in order to ensure that their specific future becomes the actual one. So our heroes find themselves in the midst of this big terminator duke out. I don't know, maybe a bit silly...

It's just so disappointing that this is apparently all James Cameron could come up with. A different Skynet, a different John, same shit.
"Logan Paul, come with me if you want to live!"
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
I thought the fight inside the cargo hold of the crashing plane at least justified the weightlessness that most of the action has.
Genisys has the better concept but this one had better characters, performances, and execution. Also, fantastic trolling work by the producers touting the return of John Connor!
I dug Genesys. Arnold becomes a T-1000 at the end. What's not to like?
Everything?

I hope you have overdue fees at the library!!
(11-01-2019, 03:48 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Everything?

You're going to drop something in your car today, and it is going to fall into the side-area of your seat where it is impossible to retrieve it without near-dismantling the entire assembly.

(11-01-2019, 05:18 PM)Overlord Wrote:

You're going to drop something in your car today, and it is going to fall into the side-area of your seat where it is impossible to retrieve it without near-dismantling the entire assembly.

(11-01-2019, 05:13 PM)bradito Wrote: I hope you have overdue fees at the library!!

(11-01-2019, 05:18 PM)Overlord Wrote:

[Image: giphy.gif]

It Follows was the best T2 sequel.

T2 kind of had the same effect on Terminator as Aliens did on Alien.

Terminator and Aliens are both in the sci-fi genre but I think the argument can be made that both are actually horror movies.

(11-02-2019, 03:08 PM)catartik Wrote: It Follows was the best T2 sequel.

Wut?
(11-02-2019, 03:59 PM)bradito Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 03:08 PM)catartik Wrote: It Follows was the best T2 sequel.

Wut?

I sort of get where he's going with the 'unstoppable relentless pursuer' thing, but that's still a pretty out there way to phrase it.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
Change a few lines of dialogue and it’s a Terminator movie from an unstoppable force that looks like other people to luring into a pool and trying to kill with electricity.

It just feels like as sequels have come and gone these Terminators started to feel like just minor nuisances that throw you around for a bit instead of just killing you.

My most hated Terminator cliche is the "throw you across the room" thing that Supernaturals demons do endlessly. If you've got your hands on the hero, kill them.
Sarah Connor does lots of flying across the room in the one.

One of the film's problems is that it's a pretty toothless R-rated movie. The first two films do actually have some elements of horror in them, making the Terminator more fearsome. There's not much blood here, so the Rev-9 isn't all that frightening. He's just a seemingly nice guy who can jump like Luigi and kills people occasionally
Some genuine teeth and threat would be AMAZING in 2019. The police station attack as reimagined with modern FX work and bone shattering violence?

(Leo gif)
Saw it. Meh.

Also, Linda Hamilton is really bad in this. Retirement from acting killed her already limited range dead. She looks great, though.
I don't think Miller's particularly gifted at working with actors. Almost everyone is lost at sea in this.
Brad's also right that this is a pretty bloodless R rated film. Drop the F bombs and thus could be a hard PG13. Even the naked fight with Grace is tame for R.

Just...underwhelming.

The young actress playing Dani is good, and Arnold (when he finally appears) brings some much needed humor that lands pretty solidly for the most part. I'll grant the film that much.
(11-02-2019, 04:40 PM)catartik Wrote: Change a few lines of dialogue and it’s a Terminator movie from an unstoppable force that looks like other people to luring into a pool and trying to kill with electricity.

It just feels like as sequels have come and gone these Terminators started to feel like just minor nuisances that throw you around for a bit instead of just killing you.

Shocked they never tried to make an invisible terminator.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Yeah, this movie doesn't work as a nostalgia play or as a "bold" "new" direction. And the action is unmemorable and often just turns into a weightless cgi cartoon. So that leaves us with basically nothing to hold on to.

It totally exposes Tim Miller as a director. There's some competency here but it's in service of no real story or themes and is obviously worse than the bar set by the first two films that "why bother" isn't even close to answered.
"Such is the heroic burden. We must always mourn our fallen. Gone Forever! Dead like Robin! Like Supergirl! Deceased like Superman! Hal Jordan! All gone! I weep for them, and know that someday I shall join them. I must go weep. Like a hero." -- Kyle Baker