Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stranger Things 4
I still think bringing him back is a mistake.

At least Netflix is putting it right out there.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Having him dead would've certainly helped give the show some juicy STAKES for future danger.

But they pretty much signaled in the post-credits scene of S3 that he was alive.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
The drama was never in if he came back, but how.  And as jazzed as people were in Season 2 when Mike and Eleven were finally reunited, just wait until Hopper and Joyce do it.
Just this guy, you know?
Spoiled in the youtube thumbnail, exactly what this twist deserves.

I maintain that if Hopper was actually dead, he would have had one of the worst send-offs I've ever seen a major character on a TV show receive, so I don't mind dispensing with this nonsense as quickly as possible.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(02-14-2020, 01:20 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Having him dead would've certainly helped give the show some juicy STAKES for future danger.

But they pretty much signaled in the post-credits scene of S3 that he was alive.

Unless they kill him this season to twist the knife. Won't happen but MAN the anger.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(02-14-2020, 01:53 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: The drama was never in if he came back, but how.  And as jazzed as people were in Season 2 when Mike and Eleven were finally reunited, just wait until Hopper and Joyce do it.

I think 11 seeing Hopper alive will trump that. The kid has had a rough life, she has earned a break or two.

I would have preferred Hopper was actually dead; it would have given season 4 an anything can happen vibe. I was hopping the show wasn't going to do obvious and the American was Brenner or Kali. That is what I get for over thinking things.

Netflix sound have saved the reveal for the show. If they wanted a teaser, just cut some random images to Duran Duran's Union of the Snake.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
If the show wanted to raise the stakes by killing a main character, Jonathon would be a good choice. It would effect the characters, but I don't think the audience would miss him that much.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
If the audience wouldn't miss him, then it wouldn't raise the stakes!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Kill Steve.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
Steve's right at the top of my "he's gonna die" list for the next season. That's a death that would really hurt.

But I'm not entirely convinced they've got the guts really kill off a major character after they pulled their punches with Hopper.
Agreed that Hopper being alive certainly erodes the sense of any of the main characters being in real danger of dying.

Killing Steve - or Mike, or Dustin - shouldn't be done simply to raise stakes at this point. We've traveled far enough with these characters that their death, if any of them indeed die, should serve some thematic and narrative need that's apparent when the season and/or show is done. Arbitrarily killing off characters for shock value is essentially as bad a narrative sin as always pulling your punches.

Hard disagree, as a general statement.  Buuut, STRANGER THINGS is not the type of show that needs to rack up a significant body count to maintain its "edge".
There've actually been quite a few violent and a couple of pretty sad deaths on the show, but I generally agree that I don't feel like I need any main characters dead. I'm glad they're bringing back Hopper.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I'm not advocating killing characters just to kill characters. I just said that if they're going to do it, I think Steve makes the most sense, both from an audience impact standpoint and as a conclusion to his journey as a character.

He's probably my favorite character on the whole show, but I don't know that there's a ton more you can do with him that isn't retreading what we've already seen.
I do want to see more of Steve and Robin being friends; so there is more that can be done with him.
(07-05-2020, 09:29 PM)Chaz Rock City Wrote: I do want to see more of Steve and Robin being friends; so there is more that can be done with him.

I mean, I wouldn't kill him in the first episode, by any means. Plenty of time for them to be partners in crime for a bit.
Can we kill Barb again?
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

(07-06-2020, 12:53 AM)Neil Spurn Wrote: Can we kill Barb again?

Yeah, she deserves it for catfishing that guy in that other movie.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Steve has to sacrifice himself to rekill Barb and save Dustin.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
I've watched this show and quite enjoyed it. But I gotta say, this has to be one of the forgettable shows I've ever watched. I mean other than the faces of the some of the characters there's not much that I remember. I couldn't tell you much of anything from last season let alone S1. Still, I'd happily watch another season.
(07-06-2020, 03:31 AM)history buff Wrote: I've watched this show and quite enjoyed it. But I gotta say, this has to be one of the forgettable shows I've ever watched. I mean other than the faces of the some of the characters there's not much that I remember. I couldn't tell you much of anything from last season let alone S1. Still, I'd happily watch another season.

Intriguing.

I can't explain it. The show is a lot fun and I really like the chemistry between the kids, not to mention the banter between Ryder and Harbour's characters, still there's nothing about the show that has stuck with me. Unlike, other shows (The Americans, Breaking Bad, Fargo, Better Call Saul, The Shield, The Wire, etc. -lofty comparisons, I know) with this show I tend to forget what an episode was even about 5 minutes after its over.