Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CHRISTMAS CAROL on the BBC with Guy Pearce

Trailer's interesting, as it looks like far and away the darkest adaptation I've ever seen. Also, notably not using the familiar dialogue from Dickens. Curious how far they push that. Andy Serkis as a ghost will be fun.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Damn, that looks great. I love the story - the George C Scott version is my favorite, followed closely by the Alastair Sim version.

But it looks like they manage to do something a bit new or different with the story without veering from its central premise. And Serkis is fucking genius casting.

Pearce, I love, but he feels a bit young for the role.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(11-04-2019, 09:45 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Pearce, I love, but he feels a bit young for the role.

[Image: behind0131.jpg]

Serkis is enough to get me to watch a non-Muppets production of the story.
Don't come in here with that Prometheus shit!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Things That Make Me Feel Old #3920: Guy Pearce playing fuckin' SCROOGE?!?!?!?
I'm gonna pass unless the reviews are absolutely stellar. I've seen enough versions of this story to satisfy my viewing needs.

Besides, nothing's gonna top the MUPPET version.
New trailer, now premature burial, F-bombs and the heavy implication that Scrooge rapes Mrs. Cratchit!

Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Yikes.

That seems....excessive.

This is dumb.

This is like if Zack Synder directed a Superman v Batman mov--

We're living in the worst timeline.
It's weird seeing so many things that in the past would've been on PBS get snatched up by other channels and streaming services now.
Asking us to root for the redemption of a possible rapist seems a tad . . . misguided, let's say.
"Lets pour some sugar on Dallas!!  Seriose inquarys only!"
Hard pass.
NGL: I really liked the look of the first trailer. Felt like a legit take on the story.

This trailer, though...making Scrooge a rapist, attempted or full. Marley, not spectral at all. And so on.

Ugh.

Don't forget about Scrooge doing the Triangle Fire!

Also, apparently Tom Hardy is in this.
home taping is killing music
...despite not appearing in ANY promotional material thus far.

Official prediction: Despite all the exhibitionist attempts to be "edgy" and "heavy," the George C. Scott version will still cream this one in atmosphere and scariness.
Forget this rubbish. This Sunday "get TV" is gonna run the 1997 telefilm MS. SCROOGE, starring Cicely Tyson as Ebenetha Scrooge.

get TV, where America celebrates Christmas!
(12-04-2019, 06:45 PM)fatherdude Wrote: Official prediction: Despite all the exhibitionist attempts to be "edgy" and "heavy," the George C. Scott version will still cream this one in atmosphere and scariness.

One of the best things about Christmas is getting to watch that amazing film again. The entire thing's got one dud moment - when the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come 'glides' by in front of the camera - but the rest is perfect.

All y'all who've never seen it - make it a priority. It's the best version of the story I've ever seen, and it might low key be one of my favourite films - at least in the top... 15?

Anyway, there's no point in this new adaptation. Every time someone wants to redo 'A Christmas Carol' the money spent should, by law, be taken from them and used on restoring the print of the 1984 George C. Scott version.
I like the Alastair Sim version. Closer to the book’s publication now than we are to its release. Really channels Dickens, maybe better than any adaptation, not just CC.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
That George C. Scott version is great. The Muppet version with Michael Caine is the best one, though.
The Alastair Sim version is the best "old" version. But the George C Scott version is fucking great. It's amazing what happens when Scrooge isn't physically frail.

I watch Scott's version multiple times every year, so I was thrilled when I saw this thread on a new version. Always hoping for a new version taking the story to the next level.

Oh well.
(12-03-2019, 10:52 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: New trailer, now premature burial, F-bombs and the heavy implication that Scrooge rapes Mrs. Cratchit!

What. The. Fuck.

Scrooge is an "abused child who grows up to be an abuser," because it's 2019 and we live in hell:

https://tv.avclub.com/if-fx-wants-to-kil...1840549450
home taping is killing music
Hard Pass.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Zack Snyder will LOVE this.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I'm checking it out as soon as time allows!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Watched it. Looks and feels very much like "Taboo"--couple of the same actors, and I almost wonder if they reused some sets. MILD SPOILERS to follow:

Fair number of f-bombs, the first scene is a kid pissing on Marley's grave ... and said piss seeping down and dripping on Marley's corpse as it comes to life. That kind of sets the tone.

For a 3.5 hour movie, the ghost scenes feel very rushed. Ghost of Christmas Present skips all the "traveling around London." In fact, despite a pretty on-book appearance in Act I, Scrooge's nephew disappears, never to be seen again. The redemption scenes rushed as well.

HEAVIER SPOILER/TRIGGER WARNING

As for the rapey vibe -- Scrooge is flat-out said to have been raped repeatedly as a boy off-screen, and later he makes an indecent proposal to Mrs. Cratchet,waiting until the last minute to do the whole "I was just seeing if you'd do it, keep the money and leave." It plays icky, making the character hard to root for, especially when he also blackmails business owners and cuts corners that allow a mine he owns to collapse. To add insult to injury. the storyline takes up way too much time, dragging on.

BTW, didn't notice Tom Hardy at all in this.
(12-23-2019, 12:52 PM)seventyone Wrote: Fair number of f-bombs, the first scene is a kid pissing on Marley's grave ... and said piss seeping down and dripping on Marley's corpse as it comes to life. That kind of sets the tone.

HEAVIER SPOILER/TRIGGER WARNING

As for the rapey vibe -- Scrooge is flat-out said to have been raped repeatedly as a boy off-screen, and later he makes an indecent proposal to Mrs. Cratchet,waiting until the last minute to do the whole "I was just seeing if you'd do it, keep the money and leave." It plays icky, making the character hard to root for, especially when he also blackmails business owners and cuts corners that allow a mine he owns to collapse. To add insult to injury. the storyline takes up way too much time, dragging on.

[Image: giphy.gif]
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
As far as I can tell, Hardy is a producer only for this. Not an on-screen talent.

And hoo boy am I glad I skipped this.

You know, between this and cats, sometimes people think they're doing something different and daring and it's really going to be payoff big...

And you traumatize people instead. It's the cost of taking big chances.
I have this on my list and I honestly don't know if I'm going to get around to it especially hearing a lot of the negative reactions. Plus, at 3.5 hours that seems like an awful lot when I could easily just A Muppets Christmas Carol.