Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Silly Little Showbiz Book Club: TC Edition
Rather than have it be shunted off into the books forum that seems to be sparsely occupied, I thought we could have a place to discuss books by and about our favorite stars, movies, filmmakers, genres, and other things related to this business we call show. And also to share news and updates about forthcoming titles that might be of interest to the community. 

Want to note this is different from the Film Criticism thread, which is more about individual pieces and arguments. These are for works that are a little bit longer. 

Anyway, this thread brought to you by the news that Val Kilmer is releasing a memoir next April entitled I'm Your Huckleberry. 

Quote:Val Kilmer has played so many iconic roles over his nearly four-decade film career. A table-dancing Cold War agent in Top Secret! A troublemaking science prodigy in Real Genius. A brash fighter pilot in Top Gun. A swashbuckling knight in Willow. A lovelorn bank robber in Heat. A charming master of disguise in The Saint. A wise-cracking gumshoe in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Of course, Batman, Jim Morrison, and the sharp-shooting Doc Holliday.

But who is the real Val Kilmer? In this memoir—published ahead of next summer’s highly anticipated sequel Top Gun: Maverick, in which Kilmer returns to the big screen as Tom “Iceman” Kazansky—the actor steps out of character and reveals his true self.

Kilmer reflects on his acclaimed career, recounts his high-profile romances, chronicles his spiritual journey and reveals details of his recent throat cancer diagnosis and recovery—about which he has disclosed little until now. While containing plenty of tantalizing celebrity anecdotes, I’m Your Huckleberry—taken from the famous line Kilmer delivers as Holliday in Tombstone—is ultimately a deeply moving reflection on mortality and the mysteries of life.

The fact he's discussing his health issues is really intriguing. Pre-order here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1982144890/
home taping is killing music
Sounds interesting. I can only hope he doesn't sugarcoat the ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU experience!

Neat idea for a thread. I'll start by offering up one of my favorite books on the horror genre, which I just re-read during the Halloween season: David J. Skal's THE MONSTER SHOW: A CULTURAL HISTORY OF HORROR. Insightful, well-researched, and digestible, Skal is one of the best voices out there examining the evolution of the genre. Highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Show-Cult...0571199968
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Chapter 2: I was an asshole
Chapter 3: Apparently I was still an asshole
Chapter 5: I simply couldn't stop being an asshole
Chapter 8: Holy shit was I an asshole on ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU
Finally, all will be revealed about his friction with Sizemore on the set of RED PLANET.
(11-05-2019, 01:02 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Finally, all will be revealed about his friction with Sizemore on the set of RED PLANET.

Chapter 10: Tom and I are both assholes, but at least I wasn't on meth.
Supposedly Tom hurled a 50-pound weight at Val!
An IMDb trivia morsel I submitted, sourced from their 1997 spring movie preview entry on The Saint:

A May 1996 Entertainment Weekly set report, cited Val Kilmer as being volatile on-set, missing call times, and putting out a lit cigarette in a crew member's face. Elisabeth Shue and producer Mace Neufeld denied Kilmer's misconduct, praising his professionalism and dedication, eventually working seven days a week during re-shoots three months before this movie's release.

Sure sounds like they were covering their asses!

If no one has read what I consider the "Flashdance Trilogy," you should all give these a read:

Hit & Run by Nancy Griffin & Kim Masters, the questionable rise and Shakespearean fall of Jon Peters and Peter Guber's professional relationship and reign of terror when Sony bought Columbia and Tri-Star. Stories include the extent of Jack Nicholson's anger making The Witches of Eastwick and how it almost stopped him from playing The Joker, a disgruntled Hook crew member pulling a Multiple Miggs on Bruce Willis during a set visit, and a chapter-long, definitive autopsy on Last Action Hero, which involves Arnold Schwarzenegger telling Sony investors at a holiday corporate retreat, "I am your Christmas present for 1992."

Hollywood Animal by Joe Eszterhas, part resonate tale of an immigrant's dance with the American Dream, part sordid filmmaking chronicle that's often as sleazy as his own screenplays. Stories include tons of Robert Evans eccentricities, but specifically, you'll learn details on Eszterhas' affair with Sharon Stone, Howard Cosell's admiration for Glenn Close's ass after seeing Jagged Edge, the desire young heartland women held for Tom Berenger in 1987, and Jon Peters sabotaging Gangland, an Eszterhas-scripted, Verhoeven-directed John Gotti biopic.

High Concept by Charles Fleming, chronicling the life and death of Don Simpson. The shortest but most cocaine-fueled of this trilogy, stories include Michael Eisner's recurring villainy at both studios Simpson had producing deals with, the surprisingly brutal production of Days of Thunder and Simpson's impulsive attempt launch an acting career in the film, and how Dana Carvey and Jon Lovitz got scared away from starring in Bad Boys.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
One I read over the summer that I enjoyed a lot was Wild and Crazy Guys. Chronicled the changing face of comedies in the 80's when Murray, Aykroyd, Belushi, Chevy and Murphy all started making movies. If you're into that era of films then you know some of the stories in there but it does a great job detailing the rise of those guys at the start of the decade and the fall of many of them as they entered the 90's.
Some great choices to add to my reading list!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.