Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Worst of the Decade
YOGA HOSERS is another pretty awful film from Kevin Smith.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
I thought Star Trek Beyond was perfectly middle-of-the-road and the best Trek film since First Contact.
(11-07-2019, 06:18 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: I thought Star Trek Beyond was perfectly middle-of-the-road and the best Trek film since First Contact.

Kinda my feeling as well, although I really liked TREK 09 (for the most part).
Trek '09 is one of my favorite movies to ever come from a script which is obviously terrible. I liked BEYOND, although a rewatch brought it down a bit. I really don't like STID.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(11-07-2019, 03:13 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Beyond is still worse!

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia...f=1&nofb=1]
I'm glad you guys have a new thread to continue lamenting the existence of the same dozen or so movies that didn't live up to your expectations.
Hey, I didn't mention 'Last Jedi' once...

...damnit.
(11-07-2019, 06:47 PM)bradito Wrote: I'm glad you guys have a new thread to continue lamenting the existence of the same dozen or so movies that didn't live up to your expectations.
We'll somehow be debating THE DARK KNIGHT by the bottom of this page!

BIRDEMIC came out in 2010, although I think it falls under the same "may not actually be a movie" clause that THE FOUR falls under. (don't watch THE FOUR!)

Also, regardless of how you feel about the STAR TREKs, none of that shit is worse than MORTDECAI. My God. This is *easily* Johnny Depp's most irritating performance, which...think about that! (yes, worse than the Quebec detective (Quebective?) in YOGA HOSERS)
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Of this I have little doubt.  The trailers for Mortdecai looked painful.
Speaking of Depp, whatever happened to that movie where he was gonna solve the Biggie and Tupac murders?
(11-07-2019, 06:57 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Speaking of Depp, whatever happened to that movie where he was gonna solve the Biggie and Tupac murders?

It was actually made and screened!

Quote:Originally set to be released on September 7, 2018 by Global Road Entertainment, it was pulled off the schedule in August 2018; no new date has been announced, but it was screened out of competition at the Noir in Festival on December 8, 2018 and later received a limited release in Italy on January 10, 2019.

It's available on Blu-Ray in Italy. That's it.

More research tells me there's a pretty intriguing story behind the scenes:

Quote:Studio execs blamed Depp’s erratic behavior for the murder-mystery’s shelving, but the film’s director, author, and crew believe it goes much deeper than that—even to the LAPD.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-the...ty-of-lies
The Beach Bum and The Dark Tower for me.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
Geez, wish the LAPD could have suppressed TRANSCENDENCE.
The only reason TRANSCENDENCE isn't on this list is because no one can remember it. What a pile of nothing.

Haha, I really liked BEACH BUM.
Another Beach Bum fan here.

A lot of people would put Serenity on their lists, but it's too strange for me to hate.
I'm being reminded of the existence of a lot of movies that I had scrubbed from memory, probably willfully. It's a fun thread.

I respect the enjoyment others had with Warcraft. It stands out in my mind, though, as my go-to example of that period when every studio thought that every new genre picture was going to be the start of a trilogy, if not a longer series like Harry Potter or Twilight. Charles Leavitt and Duncan Jones are so confident that they've got a long term deal on their hands that the arcs of both heroes, Lothar and Orgrim, abruptly stop without any resolution of their respective conflicts with Gul'dan. The only character who gets an ending is little baby Go'el. For all the grief that the Marvel Studios superhero pictures get for not being self contained, here's your movie that took for granted that it was going to be the first chapter of a larger work - not because it planned to earn it, but out of a misguided belief that this is how movies work now.
(11-07-2019, 03:15 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: The Art of Self-Defense is like an R-rated Napoleon Dynamite.

I'm back in!
BEACH BUM is in my top 5 of the year.

It's almost BARFLY as a hang out film.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

I hold the distinction of being one of the only people in the United States to see Keanu Reeves' Replicas in a theater.  It's a regret.

It's worse than you're imagining, which is too bad because it's batshit crazy.  Usually, I'd fall hard for something that crazy, but it's still the most boring movie ever.  Reeves sleepwalks through his performance, and most of the twists and turns come and go at a pace so fast, you don't really have time to digest any of it.  I think the screenwriter(s) was/were just scared people might want answers, so more nonsense just keeps piling up to distract.

At least, the terrible CGI of the robot is kind of funny.
Mulling over this some more, I think Batman v. Superman may be one of the few movies I've seen in my lifetime that I'd say I 100% disliked. Which is not a dig on anyone who did enjoy it, but for me it was a movie where I couldn't find a single element to focus on as a positive. Writing, acting, direction: I don't know that I could say any in particular were the worst I've seen (OK, maybe writing), but all of them left me cold. Which, conversely, means it absolutely wasn't the strongest negative reaction I've had to a movie, thus making the "what makes something the worst" question a really tough one because I don't know how you value (de-value?) infuriating vs. deadening.
Eli Roth's Knock Knock was pretty bad too.  I heard he wrote the screenplay as a women empowerment story, but it always plays more as Roth's reaction to being middle-aged.  The main, female characters are poorly written too.
Just to make Bradito crazy:

As fun as Urban was in the nuTrek films, his performance never went beyond impersonation/loving satire for me. I think Pine brought his A game; he's good as Kirk, which is a HUGE feat. And Quinto is solid as Spock, though he doesn't bring a lot new to the character.

Pine, Quinto, and the rest are let down by the script(s) and direction, though. ST09 is held together by sheer energy and chemistry; the story's dumb, resolution's dumber, and there are some near-universe-breaking choices by the script. But it's always fun, and by the end, we're fully on board with different actors giving their takes on beloved characters.

And then INTO DARKNESS hits, like the dump a hippopotamus takes after it just ate a crate of banana nut muffins and burritos, washed down by prune juice.

BEYOND was....fine. Anything would've been good compared to INTO DARKNESS. But it hasn't aged well, and while it gets the adventure right, it also manages to completely not understand the relationship between Spock and Kirk, and tries too hard to be a BIG BLOCKBUSTER instead of smart science fiction. It's not actively horrible...but it's really not very good, either.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(11-07-2019, 08:33 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Eli Roth's Knock Knock was pretty bad too.  I heard he wrote the screenplay as a women empowerment story, but it always plays more as Roth's reaction to being middle-aged.  The main, female characters are poorly written too.

It's about generational distrust and incompatibility and it's a horror morality tale about temptation.

The female characters are perfectly written for what it's going for.

I think it may be one of the films of the decade with how it plays with the idea of sex having terrifying consequences.

It taps into lingering Gen. X anxiety of the potential of sex = death.

Also, changing attitudes about art - from holding it sacred to disdaining/ tearing down. 

Also, II: Keanu is amazing in it. One of the decade's best casting - what he brings is as essential as say Mel Gibson in BLOOD FATHER or Leo in WOLF.

I think it's a masterpiece, but what do I know..

If you guys want to hate an Eli Roth movie, I submit "Death Wish."
I heard the new RAMBO was repugnant in every way everyone expected Roth's DW to be.

Rambo's too boring to be super offensive.
(11-07-2019, 08:35 PM)MichaelM Wrote: As fun as Urban was in the nuTrek films, his performance never went beyond impersonation/loving satire for me. I think Pine brought his A game; he's good as Kirk, which is a HUGE feat. And Quinto is solid as Spock, though he doesn't bring a lot new to the character.

Okay, but the main problem is that Urban doesn't really have anything to do!  So he gruffs his way through a few reaction shots in the style of Kelly since that's all there really was.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Oh, agreed. The script let him down in all three films (though Wan DID try to give him a bit more in BEYOND). Urban was a delight....but it wasn't anything new.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

(11-07-2019, 09:29 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Oh, agreed. The script let him down in all three films (though Wan DID try to give him a bit more in BEYOND). Urban was a delight....but it wasn't anything new.

I think you mean Lin.
“That which doesn't kill you wasn't done right.”—Khaya Dlanga
Shit. Yes.

I like Eli Roth a lot, particularly as a personality. I keep meaning to see KNOCK KNOCK one of these days, just because.

But THE GREEN INFERNO. Woof. Woof woof woof. I paid to see that one in the theater (well, it was MoviePass) and while it wasn't the worst movie I paid to see in a theater, it was damn close.

I think my "movie I really liked that nobody else did" movie from this decade has to be KING ARTHUR: LEGEND OF THE SWORD.

Movie I really didn't like that everybody else did: ROOM.
home taping is killing music
THE GREEN INFERNO's major problem is that -- other than the very gentle naive activist satire -- it doesn't bring anything at all new to the cannibal subgenre. It's very matter-of-fact in a way that feels kind of tired.

As for KING ARTHUR, I had a bit of fun with it. It's got one of my sleeper picks for "Underrated Scores of the Decade."
If we can dream it, then we can do it.

This, and its 2nd act follow up "Run Londinium," are in my top tracks of the decade.
home taping is killing music
You guys need to see worse movies

Sin City 2, Immortals, Gods of Egypt, probably a few other green screen shit boxes I forgot about.

Anchorman 2 deserves some anti love too
Definitely the worst thing about Green Inferno was that its distribution got all fucked up, so I had to wait an extra year to be disappointed by it.