Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Worst of the Decade
I didn't like IT 2, (although there are things I liked about, mostly some designs) but it's not worst of the decade. When it comes to horror movies this decade has Paranormal Activity 4, Devil, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Human Centipede 3, The Bay, The Reeds, House at the End of the Street, The Cloverfield Paradox, Ghost Stories (which does have one strong segment before shitting the bed), and Dylan Dog: Dead of Night.
The worst "horror" "movie" of the decade is THE FOUR, but again, it's barely a movie.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
This is only making me more curious about it!!
(11-21-2019, 10:02 PM)Mangy Wrote: The worst "horror" "movie" of the decade is THE FOUR, but again, it's barely a movie.

Theres a tribute to the filmaker's dog at the end?
YEP!

Also, as someone who was also in a microbudget movie on Amazon Prime with subpar sound, occasional incoherence and barebones production value, I can still stand here proudly and say THAT! MOVIE! SUCKS!
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Dylan Dog may be a low rent Constantine, but it has its charms.
(11-21-2019, 07:58 PM)simbob Wrote: I didn't like IT 2, (although there are things I liked about, mostly some designs) but it's not worst of the decade. When it comes to horror movies this decade has Paranormal Activity 4, Devil, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Human Centipede 3, The Bay, The Reeds, House at the End of the Street, The Cloverfield Paradox, Ghost Stories (which does have one strong segment before shitting the bed), and Dylan Dog: Dead of Night.

I liked both The Bay and Devil.
(11-21-2019, 11:26 PM)Felix Wrote: Dylan Dog may be a low rent Constantine, but it has its charms.

I found the whole thing pretty charmless, and boring...and the movie looked like shit. 

Dylan Dog feels all the worse since Cemetery Man (Dellamorte Dellamore) is itself basically a Dylan Dog movie; it's not exactly, but it's a similar character based on a book from the creator of Dylan Dog. Although Dylan Dog: Dead of Night was pretty bad all on it's own too.
My god, did no one else endure APOLLO 18?!!!
I almost watched it on Netflix but I heard it was shitstack.
(11-22-2019, 07:20 PM)episode29 Wrote: My god, did no one else endure APOLLO 18?!!!

Killer moon rocks or some shit right?
(11-22-2019, 07:20 PM)episode29 Wrote: My god, did no one else endure APOLLO 18?!!!

I actually saw that one in the theater. Don't know if it's worst of the decade bad, but boy was it real bad. That said, I almost respect just how astoundingly dumb the killer rock reveal actually is.
There has been an alarming number of dodgy space horrors recently. For a chunk of time anyway. On the realist side that is, not "out there" like Pandorum or even Even Horizon either. (Cloverfield Paradox maybe goes in this pile. Judgement call)

Last Days on Mars, Apollo 18, Europa, Life. I'm sure I've forgotten some.
Apollo 18 is a fine counterargument to this It Chapter 2 chatter. The basement for horror is so much lower than anyone seems to realize. It Chapter 2 looks like Return of the Jedi next to something like The Curse of La Llorona.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I am just sick and tired of Found Footage films. Anyone catch THE PYRAMID?
(11-23-2019, 05:37 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: It Chapter 2 looks like Return of the Jedi next to something like The Curse of La Llorona.

100%. Even if a person doesn't like it, IT: CHAPTER 2 is at least trying. THE CURSE OF LA LLORONA is utterly lazy on every level. I haven't seen a worse movie this year, certainly.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
. . . . I liked The Pyramid.
Space Mistakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBFuiHZRylY

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
HOBBS & SHAW, quite possibly the most grueling viewing experience of the past several years. This film is punishingly overlong and overstuffed with nonsense. I swear, three hours into this and there's another fucking act in Samoa to be endured.

The plausibility factor is zero. I mean, the F&F films have gotten more and more ridiculous as they've gone on, but there's usually something there to latch onto that feels like it could happen in the real world. H&S? There's nothing. It's just constant beatings and one-liners and physics-defying stunts that don't engage at all.

The F&F films are guilty pleasures so I felt obligated to finish this thing, but I'll never watch it again.
It's bad all the way around but the stuff on Samoa is brutal.
it just never ends.

Consider something like THE IRISHMAN which is 3.5 hours in length but never feels long. It fully engages.
Then, there's H&S which is 2.25 hours in length but feels like a death march. It's trying so damned hard to be ON that it never engages at all. There's no ebb and flow to it, it's always dialed up to 10.
Plus none of the barbs that the Rock and Statham throw at each other are all that funny. Beyond hacky.
(12-10-2019, 01:02 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Plus none of the barbs that the Rock and Statham throw at each other are all that funny. Beyond hacky.
"You are short!" "You are very large and dumb!"

Two and a half hours of that. Brutal.
Yeah, about 10% of those exchanges are funny. That's probably being generous.
Oh, come now I disagree. Yes the film is overly long, absolutely, but the banter between Johnson and Statham is hilarious. The Elevator drop, the dual-hallway fight, the stuff on the airplane.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
I don't know if the 2010s have been the "worst" decade for film, but it sure as fuck feels the most disappointing.

The list of movies that I had high hopes and enthusiasm for that turned out to be utter turds is extraordinarily long.

(12-10-2019, 05:07 PM)Overlord Wrote: I don't know if the 2010s have been the "worst" decade for film, but it sure as fuck feels the most disappointing.

The list of movies that I had high hopes and enthusiasm for that turned out to be utter turds is extraordinarily long.

For me, this past decade has been disappointing in that I watched so many franchises get long in the tooth or flat out die.  Plus the reboots that failed to capture the magic or were inept, cynical, cash grabs.
I'm reminded that I should bring up again - even if I have already - Peter Berg's PATRIOTS DAY, which is basically an infomercial for "what if martial law was...good?" It came out before the Trump era, but it felt to me like what a propagandist for that regime would make. Just a morally bankrupt movie.
home taping is killing music