Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For All Mankind (Apple TV+)
Watched the first three episodes of this last night (that's all that seems to be available at the moment) and I'm really digging it.  It's got a really heavy Harry Turtledove vibe to me, where you take one divergent point in history -- in this case the Russians reaching the moon before us -- and work out all the fallout from it across a large cast of characters whose various stories intersect at different points along the way.  One of the neat twists is how NASA's widely praised methodical approach to our space program versus the Soviet Union's "Throw stuff up there and break records" approach comes under fire once that Soviet approach beats us to the moon.  We get an angry Nixon and full-blown Congressional hearings about NASA being too cautious that feel exactly like how we'd handle such an embarrassing defeat.

There's a moment at the end of the first episode centered around the Apollo 11 mission -- which still happens because we're not about to cede the moon to the Russians -- that was a real emotional wringer and had me choked up at the very end.  And I didn't think any new emotion could be wrung out of that for me.

Really looking forward to the rest of the series.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's