Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOUL (Pixar, 2020) pre-release

From Pete Docter, director of Inside Out. Considering how hard I cried during that film, the idea of that creative team exploring the concept of Death is almost frightening. I’m probably going to approach this the way I would a movie like Antichrist. Really clear out the rest of the day for it.

Music by Trent Reznor!

This must be why they’re releasing Onward in January.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Yeah, I'm psyched for a return to Inside Out style metaphysics and jazzy Reznor music. He was a trained classical pianist before he started playing in synth pop bands in the 80s.
Reznor, Ross, and Jon Batiste on the score is going to be a helluva thing to hear.

And yeah, Onward is no question the Good Dinosaur to this one's Inside Out.
Already seeing blowback on this from a so-called woke perspective.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Oh Lord. How?
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
(11-07-2019, 09:22 PM)bigbrother Wrote: Oh Lord. How?

My guess?  "They take a character of color and turn him into a generic white ghost."
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
"...and helps a white woman find her groove."
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Forget all that, they lost me from the moment I read this sentence in an article on the teaser:
Quote:For Docter, “Soul” is about achieving balance in life. He consulted with an array of religious and cultural experts about defining the soul so that the animators could visually depict an ethereal quality for the ghostly characters and world of You Seminar.
God love ya, Pixar, but that right there is something you'd read in an Onion article. Suddenly I'm picturing a little making-of featurette about the animators' painstaking attention to detail and dedication to being true-to-life in their depiction of something that may or may not even exist and is intangible and invisible if it does. Like, imagine those promo materials of animators for The Lion King doing field research. "We sent twelve of our best artists on a safari to the afterlife to study actual souls in their natural habitat..."
Two Pixar movies in one year again? That's probably not going to be good. This does look like the better of the two, although at least from that whole trailer up until the very end with the ghost I'm not exactly sure this one is the one kids will be jumping to see of the two. 

If the last two times they did this is any indication, one of them is going to make $800 million something, and the other will make $300 million something.

(11-07-2019, 09:34 PM)MichaelM Wrote: "...and helps a white woman find her groove."

From the trailer she clearly already has her groove.
The protagonist character isn't usually the one to embody the magical black person trope, right?

The worst example of that trope I can recall is the book Little, Big by John Crowley. The magical black hobo character takes our hero on a Fisher King-esque magical realist exposition odyssey through New York. Then he helps hero cross a stream into the Faerie realm. His purpose fulfilled, he turns into a tree and roots himself on the spot.
Does the Onion predate Greek philosophy, Paganism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, Taoism, Zoroastrianism, Islam, etc. etc. etc.?

Humans have only literally been trying to understand our place in the universe beyond our Disney+ subscriptions for thousands of years.

Just my humble opinion, but Pixar has lost their fucking minds on this one.

Casper Origins: Dawn of the Friendly Ghost
(11-08-2019, 02:35 PM)catartik Wrote: Does the Onion predate Greek philosophy, Paganism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, Taoism, Zoroastrianism, Islam, etc. etc. etc.?
Yes. The Onion is eternal.

Quote:Humans have only literally been trying to understand our place in the universe beyond our Disney+ subscriptions for thousands of years.
Indeed. And sometimes they find something interesting to say about it, and other times they bring in a friggin' committee to help them decide how to draw ghosts in a way that won't risk offending anybody Disney considers a target market.*

* (Burn the filthy heathens who don't draw ghosts with little wispy tails in place of their legs!)
I like the ambition/risk of the concept behind this movie but the fact that they seem to be using that concept as just another access point to an Inside Out sort of template and are still playing it very cute jokey with the tone... yeah, that bugs me.

With this subject matter, the movie should look and feel different from your typical Pixar movie. But from what this teaser has shown us, it doesn't. I find that pretty off-putting.

"Hey, guys, let's use our design and animation abilities to try explore some heavy metaphysical concepts... but, also, cute little soul bros."
the empire never ended
Little did I know people were seething at Casper all these years.
(11-09-2019, 09:57 PM)wasp Wrote: I like the ambition/risk of the concept behind this movie but the fact that they seem to be using that concept as just another access point to an Inside Out sort of template and are still playing it very cute jokey with the tone... yeah, that bugs me.

With this subject matter, the movie should look and feel different from your typical Pixar movie. But from what this teaser has shown us, it doesn't. I find that pretty off-putting.

"Hey, guys, let's use our design and animation abilities to try explore some heavy metaphysical concepts... but, also, cute little soul bros."

I mean, it's a kids movie, Pixar makes cartoons with the target audience theortically being kids. It's ok that it still looks like a Pixar movie. I'm not sure I really want the "serious looking" Pixar movie. I do however want a non-CGI Pixar movie.

Although basically the whole trailer for this had me wondering exactly who the audience is for this.