Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2010s By The Moments: Overall Edition
We usually have one of these each year - it's become one of our longest-running, and one of my favorite traditions. So why not do one for the decade? I'm going to do three other threads that are more specific, but I thought it would be fun to just have a general place to share.
home taping is killing music
Reminder of what these threads are about?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(11-08-2019, 02:30 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Reminder of what these threads are about?

Sharing your favorite moments from the year - or in this case, the decade. A lot of people use it to quote lines, etc.
MAD MAX: FURY ROAD - the polecats arrive
Chris waxing Dean in GET OUT. Also The Sunken Place in GET OUT.

Also the entire escape scene from THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL.

Also, for all the crap I give THE FORCE AWAKENS, the moment the lightsaber flies past Kylo and into Rey's hand is still one of the cinematic moments of the entire millennium so far.

It's so good it's almost as good as the dance off at the end of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY.
'Oh...yeah.'

Cooper's line deliver here along with the subsequent maniacal shooting...I love it.  I smile everytime I see it.

And yes, I'll be doing a bunch of Marvel films.  I'm doing a complete rewatch of the MCU and several things have really stuck out to me.
WOLF OF WALL STREET - Quaaludes

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: FALLOUT - Skydiving over Paris

LADY BIRD - Opening scene

PACIFIC RIM - Nighttime battle in Hong Kong
DOCTOR STRANGE: The 'Open Your Mind' scene.

This was fantastic in the movie theater...every awesome page of the Ditko run on film, rendered beautifully.  In 3D, it was stunning.

THE AVENGERS Hulk vs Loki.

Possibly the hardest laugh that I heard in theaters over the last decade.  It's probably up there with Indy shooting the swordsman in RAIDERS.

My last Marvel submission for a while.

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON - Vision and Ultron have a chat.

It's not a great movie but it's filled with many excellent moments (the hammer scene from from the first act being another great one that has a fantastic payoff in ENDGAME).  This scene is rather marvelous, though.  Some great writing and some truly excellent work from Bettany and Spader.

Tom Hanks goes into shock in CAPTAIN PHILLIPS:

Matthew McConoughey watches the messages from his family regarding the 23 years that he missed.  I know it's somewhat of a meme but I don't care...McC sells the hell out of this scene.

This is a film that I've really turned around on.  It gets better and better with every rewatch and I'm pretty sure that it's my favorite film of Nolan's at this point.
I still have issues with the third act but that scene is probably the best moment of McConaughey's career, and Nolan's most emotional, in my opinion.
ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD: The entire Spahn Ranch sequence.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

DJANGO - Calvin Candy phrenology speech

DEATH OF STALIN - Khrushchev trying to reposition during Stalin’s viewing still makes me chuckle
(11-08-2019, 04:28 PM)MichaelM Wrote: ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD: The entire Spahn Ranch sequence.

Yes.  Everyone's great here but holy shit is this Brad Pitt's scene to really, really shine.

Deleted, 2009 film.
Basterds is 2009. I looked.
(11-08-2019, 04:42 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Basterds is 2009. I looked.

Damn, thought it was 2010.  OK, I shall amend my post.
The Top Gun Maverick trailer.
(11-08-2019, 05:20 PM)Bucho Wrote: The Top Gun Maverick trailer.

If we're gonna go that route...
MAN OF STEEL trailer #3.
(11-08-2019, 05:21 PM)Judas Booth Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 05:20 PM)Bucho Wrote: The Top Gun Maverick trailer.

If we're gonna go that route...
MAN OF STEEL trailer #3.

Talk about writing a check that the final movie could not cash (in regards to MoS).
Okay, I'm gonna be that guy:  the portals scene from AVENGERS: ENDGAME.

I have *never* heard an audience react to a sequence like my audience did to this on opening night.  For a moment we all knew was coming, it is such a cathartic, euphoric, giddily geeky relief, and then, the words we've waited seven years to finally hear Cap utter, and that George Perez splash page brought to life rushing across the screen ... it may not be "cinema," but goddamn is it FUN.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
That is a fucking great moment and more than worthy of mention and inclusion.

DREDD - The Slow-Mo shootout.

Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
(11-08-2019, 05:58 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Okay, I'm gonna be that guy:  the portals scene from AVENGERS: ENDGAME.

I have *never* heard an audience react to a sequence like my audience did to this on opening night.  For a moment we all knew was coming, it is such a cathartic, euphoric, giddily geeky relief, and then, the words we've waited seven years to finally hear Cap utter, and that George Perez splash page brought to life rushing across the screen ... it may not be "cinema," but goddamn is it FUN.

Thor's 'I KNEW it!' got the greatest response in my theater, but yeah.  Such a great moment.
TONI ERDMANN - "Greatest Love of All" (hard to explain unless you see the movie)

The opening scene of GRAVITY, a movie I love which most people don't for some reason?

On the same "movies around here which aren't liked" tip, the opening car race in READY PLAYER ONE.
The Mask sequence from DRIVE.

I love that shot of Perlman laughing his ass off.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
I'm just going to cut to the part of the scene that broke myself.  I'm a fairly stoic individual (or dead inside, depending on who you ask), but in this case...

Can an entire finale count as a moment? Because the final 20-or-so minutes of WHIPLASH is pretty much the most phenomenal thing I've seen in the last ten years.

But I'll have more to say about that when I finalize my "Favorites of the Decade" list after the New Year!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
LOL, and I hadn't even looked at this thread yet!

First shout-out: The hallway (and really, the entire Hotel level) in Inception.
Let's get animated!

• Bing Bong's sacrifice and Joy letting Sadness help Riley deal with her homesickness in Inside Out.
  • Miguel sings "Remember Me" to Mama Coco in Coco.
  • The Elastigirl/Screenslaver strobe fight in Incredibles 2.
  • The boat battle and the skeleton fight from Kubo and the Two Strings.
  • "Test Drive" from How to Train Your Dragon.
  • Stoick's funeral in How to Train Your Dragon 2.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Say what you will about the overall movie (I still happen to enjoy it a lot), but this moment from GODZILLA is one of the best-staged "reveals" in any blockbuster this decade...

If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(11-09-2019, 01:15 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: Can an entire finale count as a moment?  Because the final 20-or-so minutes of WHIPLASH is pretty much the most phenomenal thing I've seen in the last ten years.

But I'll have more to say about that when I finalize my "Favorites of the Decade" list after the New Year!

[quote pid='4652829' dateline='1573276559']
Yeah man, the shot of Simmons smiling with his eyes. Just great.
[/quote]
The staircase fight from ATOMIC BLONDE was a real standout fight sequence. Beyond being very well choreographed and shot, it also did a great job of conveying exhaustion. The
"Yeeeeaaaahhhh... I'M THINKING I'M BACK!"

The last five minutes of Her.

Cooper getting his messages in Interstellar.

The Cheneys talking about American Idol at dinner in Vice.

Harry Belafonte's speech, cross-cut with the raid on the KKK in BlacKkKlansman.

"Brighton Rock" and the final showdown in Baby Driver.

John, Cedric, and Winston grabbing the shotguns in John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum.

Pretty much the entireties of Mad Max: Fury Road and Mission: Impossible - Fallout.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
The war rig taking that triumphant breath in Fury Road has to be one of the best action beats ever ever of ever..
I love these threads. My favorite film of the decade, Mad Max: Fury Road, is loaded with these moments, ably pointed out multiple times above.

So I’ll move to another favorite. Lincoln (2012) is a monumental achievement, and it benefits mightily from subsequent viewings. While it boasts two of the greatest talents in cinematic history, Director Steven Spielberg and Daniel Day Lewis, its secret weapon is Tony Kushner.

There is a scene, relatively early in the film, where it has to establish stakes. The north is probably going to win the bloody war, and then can dictate terms. There is an undercurrent of “why rush the 13th Amendment. It’s just a matter of time.”

In one of the best scenes in the film (which is loaded with great scenes), Lincoln monologues to his Cabinet about the winding legal path emancipation has taken, and where the institution of slavery rests in this pivotal moment. A moment he can clearly see, with his legal expertise and understanding of politicians and citizens, but that his Cabinet clearly cannot. Kushner provides DDL 2-3 uninterrupted minutes to show his Lincoln’s folksiness and charm, transition to his legal acumen, and finally to his pointed frustration (With that look at the end of his speech). It is spellbinding in both performance and scope. It isn’t as bite-sized as the amazing “clothed in immense power” moment (the other time Lincoln shows his teeth a bit), but it is incredible in its own way, both for performance and for communicating an exceedingly complex legal argument succinctly and wittily.

And damn if DDL isn’t absolutely riveting.

It’s a long moment, but it counts.
I'm not Avery.