Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2010s By The Music Moments
Share your favorite musical numbers, score cues, needle drops, and more here. 

I will start with a personal favorite: "I have the beat and shouting...That's a good choice."

home taping is killing music
I'll do the video later but the opening credits for GotG with 'Come and Get Your Love' is perfection.

Edit: Here we go:

It's just a lot of fun and kicks off the movie perfectly.  In a movie full of great needle drops, this one is the best.
(11-08-2019, 02:34 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I'll do the video later but the opening credits for GotG with 'Come and Get Your Love' is perfection.

Agreed with that.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
From BABY DRIVER.  I'm not as keen on this movie as others but there are a few scenes in it that really come together really well with the music.  This is my favorite one:

Just great usage of 'Hocus Pocus' from Focus.
My dad once pointed out that it's very hard for an actor to play music "sarcastically," citing Warren Zevon's (of course) appearance on LARRY SANDERS as an example of someone who got it right. Oscar Isaac playing this novelty song also qualifies: 

Bernie: Jack Black performing 76 Trombones

Inherent Vice: Journey Through the Past

The House That Jack Built: The recurring use of Bowie's "Fame", the end credits drop (Buster Poindexter)

Shout out to Zack Snyder to be the only director with enough gumption to use "Jazz Suite No. 2" in a scene where Wonder Woman and Batman recreate Eyes Wide Shut.
Uh, not to nitpick but school of rock is 2003.
Goddammit.

Never age, folks
Anytime The Doof Warrior is on screen in Fury Road.
The ending to INCEPTION (musical piece is 'Time' by Hanz Zimmer).  On top of being a great piece of music, it's also perfectly incorporated into the footage for premium effect.

The final 9 minutes of THE FOUNTAIN, with Clint Mansell's "Death is the Road to Awe."
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

"The Spark" from The Last Jedi.  The gentle reprise of "Luke and Leia" from Return of the Jedi, followed by the slowly building motif as Luke walks out to face Kylo.  Really underlines the sense of awe the Resistance folks must have felt in watching this legend move among them.

My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
"Brothers In Arms" from FURY ROAD.

The whole movie's amazing but the fight with the bikers might be my favorite part, thanks in large part to this tune. It's also the first scene that demonstrates how well Max and Furiosa work together as a team.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
It's derivative of Zimmer's Joker theme, but I still love Henry Jackman's "Causeway" in tandem with the action onscreen in CA: Winter Soldier.

I don't love INHERENT VICE, and I've tried, but that opening set to Can's "Vitamin C" is galvanizing.
Yes it's cliched by this point, but it's a cliche I've embraced by playing this every time I pull out of the car rental lot near LAX:

(11-08-2019, 06:04 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: "The Spark" from The Last Jedi.  The gentle reprise of "Luke and Leia" from Return of the Jedi, followed by the slowly building motif as Luke walks out to face Kylo.  Really underlines the sense of awe the Resistance folks must have felt in watching this legend move among them.

Hell fuckin' YEAH The Spark. Could also go w/ Canto Bight and The Last Jedi tracks from the same film (the end of that latter one where Williams goes full opera with Luke's apotheosis and Kylo's failure is truly spectacular).

There's a couple from films that have already gone that I could go with, so let's start for now with...

The mixture of sympathy, melancholy and underlying dread so completely sets the musical tone for what we're about to witness, balancing Zuck's POV with a more removed - and much less sympathetic - omniscient narrator. The piano is what Zuckerberg thinks of himself and his emotional state in that moment, and the rest of the musical underscore - those droning, ominous tones - is the third-person narrator, letting us know that what he's about to unleash upon the world cannot be taken back. An absolute barnstormer of a scoring debut from Reznor and Ross.
I'm sure I'll have several to contribute here, but this scene constitutes some of the loveliest, most charming music-driven moments of this decade (for me, anyway!)...

If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I mean, if we're talking Damien Chazelle.

The most electrifying action climax of the decade. The wonder and horror of artistic myth being written live. The raw battle of masculinity between Simmons and Teller spilling out into this outrageous, over-the-top, triumphant, terrifying, and galvanizing performance. Incredible, incredible filmmaking.
That's what I picked for my overall moment of the decade in the other thread. It's stunning filmmaking.

DJANGO UNCHAINED has already been mentioned, but this has always been the key music moment for me, utilizing the best cue from Jerry Goldsmith's UNDER FIRE score to terrific effect...

Maybe the best purely musical moment of the decade.

----------

LOL, I had not read that thread until after this one. So here's another great musical moment of the decade:

Always a sucker for a very specific musical and instrumentation choice, and boy does Djawadi pull that off audaciously here.
The final moments of THE FORCE AWAKENS, where John Williams masterfully builds up all the mystery and all the expectation surrounding Luke Skywalker to mythical levels with an instantly-memorable new theme and a sense of incredible dramatic weight.  This is the culmination of one journey, and the beginning of another.  See you in two years!

Of course, THE LAST JEDI retroactively rips away all the grandeur and meaning of this moment, but that’s neither here nor there!  On its own, it’s still a fantastic climactic sequence, with Williams doing tremendous heavy lifting.

(11-09-2019, 01:53 AM)Dent6084 Wrote: Always a sucker for a very specific musical and instrumentation choice, and boy does Djawadi pull that off audaciously here.

Probably the single best cue of the entire series.
(11-09-2019, 12:56 AM)mondguy Wrote: Yes it's cliched by this point, but it's a cliche I've embraced by playing this every time I pull out of the car rental lot near LAX:

Oh yes.

Defines the decade for me.

The Martian's use of "Starman" AND "Love Train."

The Cabin in the Woods - "Last" by Nine Inch Nails over the end credits.

Halloween - Carpenter bringing the theme back his way.

The Hateful Eight - pretty much the exact second Morricone's score kicks in.

The Guest - David goes to the bar.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
For my money, nobody did a better job of sustained old-school John Williams-style leitmotif scoring this decade than John Powell with the How to Train Your Dragon series.

You've got the now iconic "Test Drive" from the first film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpPIK4T068s

The I'd argue even better "Flying with Mother" from How to Train Your Dragon 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asjzZ0-Zk8Y

The haunting way he re-orchestrates Stoick's song to Valka for Stoick's funeral:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY49xEQGqMw

And the more mature, melancholy themes he brought to How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, while also harkening back to the earlier themes in the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQyq4TpIu7o

But then you've got this bravura piece from the first film, "Battling the Green Death," where he mixes nearly every theme from the film into a track that is by turns tense, tragic and triumphant.

Put the three films together and it's the scoring job of the decade for me.

----------

The "Test Drive" sequence is absolutely one of those moments this thread was made for.

The last scene of Steven Spielberg’s WAR HORSE is a wordless marriage of stunning imagery and absolutely gorgeous John Williams music.  It’s one of the most visually-beautiful finales of Spielberg’s entire filmography (Janusz Kaminski can actually do great things when he wants to!), and Williams’ piece lays on the emotion so perfectly.  It’s one of the best cues -- and scores -- of the decade.

Another great musical moment:

The music in Phantom Thread pulls off the incredibly neat trick of serving as a first-person narrator, and that's certainly the case in this scene, revealing Reynolds' perfectly controlled morning routine, everything in order (even down to the current girlfriend making her mistake at the breakfast table that will lead to her being shooed out) - there's a hint of melancholy to it, but Reynolds is fully used to and seemingly content with this serene life. Greenwood's score for this film may be his finest - lush, romantic, frightening, carrying the listener through a dazzling array of emotions as the very unconventional relationship at the film's core fully blooms, and this track - House of Woodcock - is a fantastic start.
The “Drive It Like You Stole It” sequence in SING STREET is easily one of the most exhilarating scenes of the decade.
The Red Circle club rampage, most of it set to "Think" by Kaleida.

Fucking perfection.

On the way to the final showdown in the underrated COLD IN JULY.

Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Still my favorite piece of MCU music.  Just perfection.