Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst of the Decade (Boob-Tube Edition)
What television was the opposite of golden this past decade?  Not everything can be Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones.
Felix already brought this up in another thread but it looks like we have a uh, winner with Netflix's The I-Land.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2...ained.html
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Is Cloverfield Paradox a movie or TV?  Because that's high on my list of worst.  It might be the element-of-surprise marketing that got my hype up, but man what a letdown.  Just terrible.
'Inhumans.' Hands down.

'Rise,' the 'Friday Night Lights But High School Theatre' show also deserves special mention just for its utter tone-deafness (That a show made in 2018 had in it's opening minutes a straight white dude walk into his boss's office and say 'I want to be in charge of the theatre program even though I'm not qualified for it and I know there is a qualified woman who has been the assistant director for years but I don't care' and get the job, and nobody involved with this tv show apparently said 'Uhhhh... Maybe we should re-think this?' is just mind boggling) and wasting of Auli'i Cravalho.
I think the winner has to be something that at least got our hopes up, only to turn out so very, very bad.

The OA has to be in the discussion. A school mass shooting is foiled by the power of interpretive dance.

But I'd go with The Killing. It fooled me and many others into thinking it was a smart, prestige drama... when it was really a train bearing down on a brick wall the entire time.

Only two recent shows have made me actually blurt out, "Oh, fuuuuck you." The Killing didn't have a few great seasons (plus tits n dragons) to save it from being the show I most wish I could unsee.
Gamertag: Tweakee
How is The Walking Dead (in it's current form AT LEAST) not being mentioned??

Also....yes. Inhumans..
Has no one seen Ken Jeong’s Dr. Ken?
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Based on title alone I want to mention Ironside, a cop drama that ran for three weeks in 2013. The cop was in a wheelchair, hence the title.
SHIT MY FATHER SAID, that unwatchable Shatner show that came out with great hype. That was garbage.
Murphy Brown: The Return. The TV equivalent of urinating internally.
(11-09-2019, 11:48 AM)JMurdoch Wrote: Based on title alone I want to mention Ironside, a cop drama that ran for three weeks in 2013.  The cop was in a wheelchair, hence the title.
That's a reboot of a show from the 60s. You might recognize the theme song:

(11-09-2019, 12:42 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Murphy Brown: The Return. The TV equivalent of urinating internally.

I completely forgot that was a thing.

That opening to the 60s Ironsides was great! I didnt know that was a thing either. Im familiar with the opening theme from its use in Kill Bill of course.
I saw Inhumans in IMAX because they shot a TV pilot in IMAX for some reason. So I saw it for some reason.

It was eh.
I feel like Honorable Mention needs to go to Game of Thrones. First six seasons are brilliant. Seventh season still good but losing 3 episodes was felt in the pacing. 8th season was good until the final 2 episodes where you could feel D & D losing interest in GOT and wanting to fuck off and do a Star War. Dani's heel turn was sloppily handled and choosing Bran because he had the best story? Yeah. I think GOT belongs here.
The whole GoT series worked for me, but I can agree that the last season was sloppy and rushed.
Inhumans was in IMAX?! Oh wow.

I almost want to watch that season. I saw enough to know it was bad but morbid curiosity is a bitch. All I can picture is how much the bad guy looked like Patton Oswalt..
GOT was great. Dismissing the show because you didn't like some character decisions at the end is your prerogative but I think it's incredibly unfair to the show as a whole. But I'm not going to relitigate this damned show again.
If the first 5 seasons of GoT didn't exist, it might belong in the conversation.
The sixth season of Dexter was this decade. That has to count.

Also....somehow I let Sons of Anarchy punch me in the face for about four seasons too many. Jimmy Smits is a hell of a drug..
(11-09-2019, 03:49 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: GOT was great.  Dismissing the show because you didn't like some character decisions at the end is your prerogative but I think it's incredibly unfair to the show as a whole.  But I'm not going to relitigate this damned show again.

The decisions themselves, I support.  The execution of those story beats?  Not so much.  The series as a whole belongs in the conversation for best of decade.  Way too many highs for it not to be.   However, the missteps at the end can't be overlooked.   We needed 2 more episodes at least to let things breathe.
(11-09-2019, 04:55 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: The sixth season of Dexter was this decade. That has to count.

They really should've just ended at 4. Apart from maybe the gay mobster in 7, none of the villains that followed were as interesting as Trinity.
Good god Colin Hanks was awful..
That series finale is an all timer in awfulness.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Yeah, but unlike some other series that shat the bed at the end, I can absolutely recommend Dexter as a very good show, simply by telling someone to stop after season 4 or 5 (depending on whether I think they'd prefer a darker or lighter ending). If someone watches a 4-season version of Dexter, they get Hall, Smits and Lithgow at their best... plus Doakes, motherfucker!

Sons of Anarchy is a good choice, though. Even though its first 2-3 seasons were high quality, it got SO bad for SO long that it actually made me feel bad for ever having watched it. Like The Walking Dead, it seemed to be a show designed to punish its audience.
Sons of Anarchy is certainly the worst show I watched. The trouble with this thread is that if a show is truly bad, you stop watching it, most of the time. Sons was the exception. I feel awful about finishing that.

Just as I feel proud that I bailed on season eight of Dexter, having watched the previous seven. Good call, me!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
As awful as SOA got those last few years it was almost worth sticking it out to see Chiklis’ reaction behind the wheel of that truck.
Sons of Anarchy actually made me feel actual depression I think. Or something akin to it. It was just....yuck. I don't need that in my life. Both SoA and Dexter's last episodes were straight up fever dream non-sense that I have to remind myself actually DID happen that way. I don't remember a goddamned thing about either shows last season other than the final stupid episodes. Except that I met and hung out with (by association mostly) Masuka's daughter before she was in Dexter when she was filming Humans vs Zombies. Didn't even know she was an actress...but, anyway..
Masuka's daughter... oh, she was in Friday Night Lights, too!
Actor that played Masuka was good on an episode of Warrior this year.
Under the Dome just popped into my head. What happens when you mix a town full of cliched dumbasses and a stale atmosphere of meth manufacturing byproduct fumes? Pure magic.
Dylan McDermott's presence in AHS just reminded me of a craptastic show he did a few years ago called Stalker, where he was head of some special Stalker investigation unit that doesn't exist in real life. The big twist at the end of the pilot episode was that he was a stalker, too. The show went overboard with creepy makeovers to traditionally non creepy pop songs.
That sounds like the literal worst show concept ever..
Unlike NCIS, which has been on for 16 YEARS, Stalker thankfully got canned after one season.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I think this one scene perfectly sums up what a terrible show NCIS is:

HEROES. What a shitshow.