Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Citizen's Gift Exchange 2019
I got one positive response so far  and that's as good a start as any! Let's do this.

(begin cut-and-paste)

The guidelines will be the same as always:

In this here thread, you post your geographic region and your willingness or refusal to ship internationally. This confirms that you will join our merrymaking.

The deadline to sign up: What even is a Black Friday sale anymore? Let's say Friday November 29th.

I will then post, on Monday, December 2nd, the gift-giving daisy chain. For example, Person 1 gives to Person 2, Person 2 gives to Person 3, Person 3 gives to Person 4, Person 4 gives to Person 1.

Then, you will PM your giftee and gifter. You'll want to let your giftee know you're ready to give, and your giver where to give it to. Upon receipt of address, you go and shop for your fellow Citizen.  The minimum: in the past some folk have balked so I'm lowering it to $15 American. For those buying for international friends, remember that (for instance) you can often buy from Amazon in those countries and it will ship domestically; Amazon.co.de and Amazon.co.uk are useful places to start.

In years past, we have had some extravagance (and some astounding generosity), but don't let that intimidate you. The act of giving is enough. It really is the thought that counts.

Also in years past, we have had isolated incidents of people being dicks and not giving anything. Don't be a dick.

Post in this thread when you have successfully made contact with your giftee and gifter, and again when you have received and sent your goods. Once I post the list, I will also start the Swag Brag thread.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I'm in! The U.S. only, sorry.
Giving money to the studio that keeps enabling Adam Sandler is morally equivalent to Satanic kitten rape orgies. - Hypnotoad
I am in!

and will send International.
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
Sure, I'm in this year. I live in the U.S., and need to stay within it for sending/shipping.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
In. Will ship anywhere.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

In. Live in the U.S. Prefer domestic but can do international.
home taping is killing music
I'll do this again. Been burned twice, let's roll the dice.
Awesome, this is a legit operation now! Let's try and rope in four or five more.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I'm in.
Can ship anywhere.
Just checking in. Is everyone cool with the timeline? We could move up the start date if folks do want to take advantage of Thanksgiving sales.

Also, I don't Discord. Do we have any dual citizens here? Maybe spread the word, unless they've got their own deal going.
Timeline is fine with me.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Gotta sit it out this year, sorry.
aw man
Quick bump: deadline for signup is midnight Friday 11/29.
One more bump!
Giving money to the studio that keeps enabling Adam Sandler is morally equivalent to Satanic kitten rape orgies. - Hypnotoad
Midnight PST!
Okay, the list is locked. I'm not seeing Location for a couple of you. Assume everyone is in the US?
I am, Connecticut.
I'm also in the U.S.

Also US
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
Okay then. After literally drawing the names out of a hat and bumping one position so that nobody's paired with anyone they were paired with last year, here is the Gift Giving Chain:

DerekM gives to boone daniels

boone daniels gives to MichaelM

MichaelM gives to Hammerhead

Hammerhead gives to Neil Spurn

Neil Spurn gives to Nick Nunziata

Nick Nunziata gives to MrTyres

MrTyres gives to bendrix

bendrix gives to DerekM

As always, PM your givee to let them know where to send your stuff, and your givee to let them know you're on the ball.

Have fun!

Oh, and Barne & Noble's 50% off Criterion sale ends Monday. I merely comment.
Thanks for putting this together!

I'll message you later today, Hammerhead, with an annoying set of questions to help my gift choices.

Nick Nunziata? The pressure!
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

< AIRPLANE "GOOD LUCK. WE'RE ALL COUNTING ON YOU" >

Completely random but gift-related question--does anyone want a nutcracker? My mother in law, who had lived with us for the past 11+ years, passed away in the summer and we are now cleaning out her apartment. She collected Nutcrackers of all different sizes and types. If anyone is remotely interested, DM me and I'll can send you pics.
Hammerhead's gifts ordered but FOR REASONS they're coming to me first. Hopefully I'll have everything on hand by early next week for shipping together.