Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE CLONE WARS - brought to you by Overlord in partnership with DISNEY+
There was a time not so long ago I dismissed the animated Star Wars shows as "for kids".

Then, also not so long ago but slightly more recently, I realized I had been a clueless buffoon.

[Image: sc021-118.jpg]

To be clear, it's not that I learned that The Clone Wars isn't "for kids" ... of course it is ... it's that I learned that only a clueless buffoon would dismiss it for that. 

[Image: sc065-321-42.png]

I realized this even before I watched a Jedi Knight get tortured to actual death on screen. In this cartoon show. For kids. 

Not only did this show put the actual WARS into Star Wars long before Rogue One, it did so in an even more brutal fashion than any of the feature films ever have. In one episode the clones ... the good guys ... use flame throwers. No, not on disposable battle droids. On a sentient, living enemy species. Whose planet is being invaded. By the good guys. 

Now ... are there Jar Jar episodes? Yes. Well ... there is a Jar Jar episode. One and a half to be more accurate, since there is also one in which he accompanies Bail Organa on a diplomatic mission which makes up half of an episode too. There may be more, but I haven't watched all of the episodes yet. All I can tell you is that in the first 40 episodes there are only one and a half Jar Jar episodes.

Well, that's not all I can tell you. I can also tell you that while there is a bunch of actual WARS there are also episodes based on Seven Samurai and Godzilla and King King and Alien and Aliens and Columbo and submarine movies and heist movies and even Hitchcock's Notorious. 

[Image: sc030-219g.jpg]

A ton of them feel like Star Trek episodes too, engaging with ethical and moral considerations in a much more direct and sci-fi way than the feature films - with their bent towards fantasy adventure - ever have. And politics? You better believe there are politics!

[Image: c055-215e.jpg]

This show also somehow often manages to feel as big as or (as a whole) even bigger than the feature films. It uses its stories not only to explore ethics and morals and brutality and honour and goofy battle droid humour, but also to expand and enrich that Galaxy Far, Far Away in ways which at times feel legit epic AF. 

[Image: sc052-309f.jpg]

In fact it's so much fun I'm not even going to use this thread to pimp the school run-friendly podcast I do with my buddy Robby (you've heard of Robby ... he's part of the reason I ended up here way back in the day) called SEND in the CLONES which is found on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play or at http://www.buchoandrobby.com in which we try to watch and yap about every episode before Feb 2020 when SEASON 7 - the final 12 episodes of The Clone Wars - comes out right there on Disney+ along with the rest of the show. There are rumours that Dave Filoni himself has promised to be on our show if we successfully cover all 121 episodes of the Clone Wars before Feb 2020. (Said rumours are completely baseless, but I figure why let the truth get in the way of a good story. Certain point of view and all that, you know what I'm saying.)

[Image: sc002b-T.jpg]

I mean, if you're enough of a Star Wars fan to be getting Disney+ for The Mandalorian anyway, what kind of clueless buffoon wouldn't also check out at least the first dozen episodes of The Clone Wars while it's just sitting there ready for you waiting on the launch pad in the hangar bay?
It's a fantastic animated series that got better and better as it went on. Filoni getting to finish the story is wonderful and I can't wait.

Anyone who hasn't seen it is missing out on some of the best exploration of the SW universe in animated form. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
My handy-dandy (well, not MINE, somebody else assembled it, but anyways) CLONE WARS VIEWING-ORDER GUIDE (because most of the second season was originally released out-of-sequence):

If you're watching the show on Blu-Ray, there's even a disc-number provided for each episode, too. Snazzy. And yes, sign me TF UP for THE SIEGE OF MANDALORE in February, motherfuckers.
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

The Mortis trilogy in Season 3 ("Overlords," "Altar of Mortis" and "Ghosts of Mortis") did more to re-mystify the Force than pretty much anything post-Midichlorians. It's almost a straight-up epic fantasy story.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(11-12-2019, 12:31 PM)leto ii Wrote: My handy-dandy (well, not MINE, somebody else assembled it, but anyways) CLONE WARS VIEWING-ORDER GUIDE (because most of the first season and part of the second were originally released out-of-sequence):

Thanks for this.  This show is going to be my first binge whenever the service starts functioning in a stable manner.  Holy God, must the strain on their servers be unfathomable today...

This show is legitimately great. I loved the Obi-Wan arc on Mandalore from season 2.
[Image: giphy.gif]

When the end-times come, Bucho, you can ride with my gang of feral outlaws anytime.

SEND in the CLONES just hit Dathomir for Season 3, Episode 12 "Nightsisters". Spoiler: it was my favourite episode of the whole show so far. And not just because we get to see Count Dooku in a 1-on-3 lightsaber battle in his pajamas.
The Nightsisters are great villains, and put the movies to shame in terms of creativity in developing villains outside of the base generic Sith Lord/Imperial General models they’ve mostly clung to.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
I'm about to pull the trigger on this. Do I need to use that watching guide? Should I?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(12-01-2019, 02:24 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: I'm about to pull the trigger on this. Do I need to use that watching guide? Should I?

Everyone I asked before I launched on this mission said to go with the Chronological order so that's what I did. 

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-...isodeorder

At the point I'm up to now I've pretty much left the janky timeline stuff behind (with the exception of ep 501 the chronological basically equals release order from about mid-S3 on) and from what I've seen I can imagine some episodes being pretty confusing if you watched it in release order.

The only other advice I'd give if, like me, you're not really a cartoon guy is to consciously recalibrate your sensibilities to "forgive" the "kiddy" elements. I've found that by doing that the show has been a ton of fun and there is a ton of epic, expansive Star Wars magic in it. I've been happily surprised by how big it manages to feel.
I'm surprised they didn't reorder the episodes for Disney+.
There're a lot of really good Clone Wars episodes, but an awful lot of mediocre, shit ones too. I've always been a bit perplexed when people say it redeems the prequels - while the good work it does for Anakin's character is fantastic, it triples down on the more overtly childish stuff, the political episodes stories are long and boring (as opposed to the 15 total minutes of Palpatine-scenery chewing in Eps I-III), and, despite the fact that the series is a midquel intended to flesh out the war, they seemed dead averse to giving that war an actual clear narrative.

I also think that arcs with the most weight in the larger story (the Mortis stuff, the clone chip stuff, Yoda's vision quest) tended to be really confusingly written - the show's attempt to clear up the Sifo-Dyas stuff ends up making the whole thing more confusing than the straightforward 'the cloners say Sifo-Dyas ordered the clones; Jango says he was recruited by Tyranus; Dooku is Tyranus = the Sith ordered the clones using Sifo-Dyas's identity' AOTC seems to suggest.

That said, there are still a lot of kickass arcs - the Geonosis battle, the night-time Umbaran story, the slaver stuff, and a lot of the Nightsister bits.
So I've watched roughly the first two seasonsish. None of it looked nearly as amazing as those screens above. Is this a "TNG" situation where it doesn't really find its true stride until Season 3?
(12-01-2019, 09:52 AM)freeman Wrote: So I've watched roughly the first two seasonsish.  None of it looked nearly as amazing as those screens above.  Is this a "TNG" situation where it doesn't really find its true stride until Season 3?

The exact mid point of Season 3 is when it starts to get more consistently good - the quality across Seasons 4-6 is consistently really high. But the first half of Season 3, especially the godawful tea episode on Mandalore, in which a child named Corky learns about the concept of political corruption and thereafter says it a million times, might be the nadir of the show.

You'd lose nothing starting on Episode 12 of Season 3.
(12-01-2019, 06:03 AM)barry woodward Wrote: I'm surprised they didn't reorder the episodes for Disney+.

Funny thing is, they actually DID re-sequence them for syndication (into proper chronological order) after their initial Cartoon Network airings, but why they wouldn’t keep that going forward is rather mystifying. Maybe it’s Disney calling the shots now, rather than Lucas himself.
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

I'm watching this great show again in chronological order and it still blows me away. Glad people are finally giving it a chance.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.