Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nailed It! - The (Good) Series Finale Thread
(12-09-2019, 09:51 PM)Reasor Wrote: Buffy's first several season finales were all solid.  The showrunners admittedly were never certain that they'd get renewed in those early years, so they'd swing for the fences with an episode that could serve, if needed, as a series finale every time.

Yes, I like how they made that effort to tie off each season. Season 5 felt like a real ending, though, and the "what am I still doing here?" thread of Season 6 felt more than a little meta.

(11-14-2019, 10:54 AM)doc happenin Wrote: Will echo the Babylon 5 sentiments. The Deconstruction of Falling Stars is a perfect capper, even if the season that preceded it was a hurried rushed affair (I think it was meant to be the season 4 series finale...) but where some shows resolve to tie up their loose ends, what I love is the audacity of Straczynski to push the end decades, indeed, millennia, into the future to see how everything ended up. It felt so cosmic and huge and heartfelt and if it weren't Babylon 5, I'd be calling foul but B5 is nothing if not huge, cosmic and heartfelt.

Babylon 5, like Buffy, was a show that lived under a constant threat of cancellation. Season 4 had already been telescoped to resolve the planned Season 5 arcs early, and then when TNT picked the show up for a fifth season at the last minute they made the smart choice to bank "Sleeping In Light" for the actual finale.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(12-10-2019, 08:24 AM)hammerhead Wrote: Babylon 5, like Buffy, was a show that lived under a constant threat of cancellation. Season 4 had already been telescoped to resolve the planned Season 5 arcs early, and then when TNT picked the show up for a fifth season at the last minute they made the smart choice to bank "Sleeping In Light" for the actual finale.

One small correction to that:

"Sleeping in Light" was shot prior to the TNT-pickup, back when they knew that they were getting cancelled at the end of Season 4 (due to the folding of the PTEN syndication-network), but JMS had smartly designed the series finale to work as either a conclusion to Season 4 or Season 5 (which is also why Claudia Christian appears in it -- it was filmed before she quit the series, just prior to Tracy Scoggins's coming onboard). He knew that the show might get picked up by another network, but it was always going to be the series-ender either way, and was designed to be as "mobile" as possible:

http://jmsnews.com/messages/message?id=9930
http://jmsnews.com/messages/message?id=9319
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

Thanks to Evi for reminding me of NATHAN FOR YOU, which closed its run with the incredible "Finding Frances."
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!