Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
KNIVES OUT Post-Release Discussion
(03-08-2020, 04:38 PM)Paul755 Wrote: Finally saw this. Fuckin’ loved it.

I've watched it two additional times since my last post.  I love the hell out of this movie.
I've been spinning the Blu-ray regularly as a coping mechanism for this insane year. It's dynamite, with many rewards for repeat viewings.

One question: what did Nana or Jamie Lee do to get cut out of the will?
I don’t think they did anything specifically.

Harlan just decided to make a grand sweeping gesture for the family as a whole. And it’s not as if his mother and daughter were in a bad spot financially.
His mother seemed to be pretty well off from the looks of it, even enjoying the fact that her shitty heirs are not getting a red dime from her son given the little laugh she gives.
Meant to see this at the cinema, never got round to it. By far, one of the most entertaining moment-by-moment films I've seen in the last couple of years.

Having scanned this thread, I don't get complaints about it being rooted in 2019. It definitely is. Why's that inherently bad? If I'm watching The Simpsons I don't think less of it if Bill Clinton shows up.
(03-10-2020, 12:17 PM)Nooj Wrote: I don’t think they did anything specifically.

Harlan just decided to make a grand sweeping gesture for the family as a whole. And it’s not as if his mother and daughter were in a bad spot financially.

I think it was more about keeping Jamie Lee's shitty husband and son from getting any of the inheritance than specifically targeting her. And she was seemingly the only one of the children to make something of herself without riding on Harland's coattails.
(03-22-2020, 04:47 AM)Fafhrd Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 12:17 PM)Nooj Wrote: I don’t think they did anything specifically.

I think it was more about keeping Jamie Lee's shitty husband and son from getting any of the inheritance than specifically targeting her. And she was seemingly the only one of the children to make something of herself without riding on Harland's coattails.

As Ransom points out later in the movie, she had a "small loan of a million dollars" to get her "self made" business off the ground. Every single one of them is full of shit.
Missed in on the big screen but I've seen it front to back two times in the last week. The entire cast is firing on all cylinders and Daniel Craig is joy to watch and listen to. Enjoyed the hell out of it both time.
(11-30-2019, 05:27 PM)Nooj Wrote: I kept thinking that this was some kind of final trolling joke that Harlan was putting on his family as some crazy old man hahahah

Me too! Finally saw this and had the same thought running through my head up to the point I really kind of believed that was going to factor in somehow but with Evans being the source of the malicious stuff.

Like, obviously I knew Evans was shady because the movie made that oh so obvious, but I figured we were supposed to realize he was shady but not fully realize that he was just taking advantage of the situation and screwing over his family while blackmailing Marta and taking care of some loose ends.

The big reveal was going to be that Harlan had gone the extra mile to push his family out of he nest while bequeathing his fortune to the one genuinely kind person who was close to him and who actually needed it. The fact that he had changed his will just one week before what happened happened, or that the movie has Armas call out how always just left her medical bag with him in his room...

Knew from the moment she first injected him that she had injected the right drug and that was where "foul play" had occurred. Not a mystery at all what that toxicology report was going to show. The mystery was basically just the back-end stuff--how interesting that would have been if Harlan had been the one who set the whole thing in motion but his crap family had to go make shit ugly (and kill Fran in the process, poor Fran whose death is used as a punch-line, ha).

In hindsight it doesn't make a ton of sense that Harlan would put Marta through that ordeal or that he would go to those lengths just to troll his fam and make sure Marta got the goods before his fam could interfere... but there were so many details that Rian had in there where Harlan kept telling his different family members when he was pulling the rug out from under that them that his "mind's made up," or when he was telling Marta how nice it would be to finish his life story with one last dramatic flourish, or late in the movie where a news reporter is describing the unfolding situation as a mystery that could have been written by Harlan himself. There are other details, though, like the obviously genuine interest that Harlan takes when he first learns what Marta thinks she's done and he is writing it down as material, haha--so yeah, it doesn't quite add up, but it did make me think that maybe it was a possibility that Rian had flirted with in an earlier draft or whatever and some of that got left in the movie.

The fact that the obvious answer is the answer and that the only reason we're ever given to doubt ourselves on that is because it seems too obvious--I mean, har har, but when that's finally confirmed I just couldn't help but feel a little underwhelmed. That said, I guess the way the movie is done that's about the only conclusion it could have arrived at that would have felt honest enough to what it's shown us.

Still, very entertaining movie, the cast was good on a whole but the ones I really enjoyed the most were Shannon, Armas, Craig, Plummer, and Trooper Wagner! I don't even know who played that guy but he got several of the biggest laughs from me. Honestly, Lakeith Stanfield was a bit wasted--felt like there was some big element to this character that was just completely missing. Kind of wish super-hipster girl and Collette's cartoon character were cut and more time had been given to Jamie Lee Curtis, but then Rian would have lost his whole "regardless of politics or tact, entitlement is entitlement" dynamic--which probably would have been okay, because while it gave the movie some broader thematic resonance there are aspects of it that do feel like they are going to date the movie a bit and also on a whole it was something that felt a little forced onto the movie.

Armas really is a great emotional centerpiece to the film and the fact that movie sets us up to root for this sweet "killer" on through the last two acts is, I thought, a very engaging and interesting paradigm. The parallel mystery not as much, but so it goes, at least the thing that's working about the movie keeps working on through the rest of its runtime.

I will say that in the first 20 minutes the movie was really not working for me so that kind of shows you how much credit needs to go to Armas and her character and her role as Johnson conceived of it.

I would have thought that visually this type of movie would have been the perfect playground for Rian and Yedlin to go back to their Brick roots and lean in to the mystery genre in a modern way, once again, and with more resources at their disposal. Instead they went more for... the Brothers Bloom aesthetic? I dunno, the editing was sharp but the cinematography in this one was a bit of a let down for me, almost stagey and too bright most of the time. Which I guess might have been the mood board for a whodunit where the "who" is out in the open for the audience early on, but yeah, I dunno, not Yedlin's most appealing or evocative work.

ALTHOUGH those last few shots were a great capper!
the empire never ended
I basically felt the same way Wasp. It definitely picks up when the film gets to what it actually wants to be about, but it doesn't really work as a twisty mystery film.

It's fun and entertaining--but it's no Brick.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

I do think Harlan needed to end up being just as bad as his family to really twist the knife (haha) into the class commentary. Instead it's a bit of a limp "being obscenely wealthy is fine as long as your nice" moral.
(03-23-2020, 10:59 AM)atomtastic Wrote: I do think Harlan needed to end up being just as bad as his family to really twist the knife (haha) into the class commentary. Instead it's a bit of a limp "being obscenely wealthy is fine as long as your nice" moral.

I think it is more along the lines of "self-made rich people can be okay, but second generation wealth just rots to the core."  Which, based on my experience, is at least kind of true.