Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA (Disney+)
Star Wars Unity says Lucasfilm is working on a Disney+ series that would follow the adventures of intergalactic archaeologist Doctor Aphra. The character was first introduced in Marvel's Darth Vader comic before getting her own spinoff series.

http://starwarsunity.net/2019/11/23/rumo...tv-series/

[Image: EKFMIjaWkAECL5X?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]
FUCKING YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

*breath*

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
That's a slam dunk of an excellent series if it happens.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
If they stay totally faithful to the comic, it's going to upset a few people.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Lauren Tsai, who played Switch on LEGION, would be rad as Aphra.

All in. Great character.
You're going to have to explain for the non Star Wars nerds who don't consume anything but the movies which one Dr. Aphra is on that cover. I know who they both are, but any ignorant person's eye is going to look straight at the green lady first and make assumptions.
Git' in under mah belly!
(11-24-2019, 06:14 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: If they stay totally faithful to the comic, it's going to upset a few people.

Let those few people be upset. The rest of us will be thrilled.

Quote:
(11-24-2019, 06:56 PM)barry woodward Wrote: Lauren Tsai, who played Switch on LEGION, would be rad as Aphra.

That's an excellent casting choice! Loved her in LEGION as well.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
Aphra? WTF is Aphra?

Just give me my fucking live action Ahsoka Tano series and/or movie!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
DAMN IT, MICHAEL (is 100% correct)!

The Ahsoka vs. Vader episode of Rebels was one of the best SW things I've ever seen.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

If adventure has a name, it must be Doctor Aphra!

[Image: EItrqWhWoAA42Ei?format=jpg&name=small][Image: D0Wcf6TVsAA29gE?format=jpg&name=small]
[Image: EKLxUdcU8AAcdJb?format=jpg&name=small][Image: EKFMIjrWoAAz19F?format=jpg&name=small]
[Image: DsErR6xWwAA5f-R?format=jpg&name=small][Image: EKLxVH2U0AA8V4D?format=jpg&name=small]
(11-24-2019, 06:14 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: If they stay totally faithful to the comic, it's going to upset a few people.

As someone who doesn't read the funny pages, what is it that would upset people?
I like the concept of Dr Aphra, and some of the more subdued bits of her in the comics I've read (her genuine fear of Darth Vader, her self-loathing) - but I hope they do dial her character down a bit in terms of her very smug River Song/Deadpool-style incessant archness.
Aw, I thought she was the Twi'lek.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(11-25-2019, 02:23 AM)rexbanner Wrote: I like the concept of Dr Aphra, and some of the more subdued bits of her in the comics I've read (her genuine fear of Darth Vader, her self-loathing) - but I hope they do dial her character down a bit in terms of her very smug River Song/Deadpool-style incessant archness.

I can see that turning off a certain segment of viewers.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
(11-25-2019, 01:55 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote:

As someone who doesn't read the funny pages, what is it that would upset people?

She has a relationship with a female Imperial officer.

----------

(11-25-2019, 07:41 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote:

I could see that turning on a certain segment of viewers.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(11-25-2019, 07:41 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote:

Ohh so shes the coolest girl in all of Star Wars?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(11-25-2019, 11:26 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 07:41 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: She has a relationship with a female Imperial officer.

..who she later fucks over in just about every possible way. Promising career ruined, memories messed with to a degree she barely knows who she is anymore, the works.

Aphra is a gloriously terrible person pinballing from one calamity to the next like the hellspawned offspring of Rene Belloq and Penelope Pitstop. Even her own droids hate her guts.

In fact that's the one thing that gives me pause about a D+ series - she's fun and delightful but just so awful that those who don't go for unlikeable car crash people won't dig it. Her heart mostly in the right place but she invariably chooses the worst option available every step of the way. She even exposes a plot against Palpatine!
(11-25-2019, 03:41 PM)UltraAnxiety Wrote: Aphra is a gloriously terrible person pinballing from one calamity to the next like the hellspawned offspring of Rene Belloq and Penelope Pitstop. Even her own droids hate her guts.

To be fair, BT-1 and 0-0-0 hate everybody.

----------

(11-25-2019, 03:41 PM)UltraAnxiety Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 11:26 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 07:41 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: She has a relationship with a female Imperial officer.

..who she later fucks over in just about every possible way. Promising career ruined, memories messed with to a degree she barely knows who she is anymore, the works.

Aphra is a gloriously terrible person pinballing from one calamity to the next like the hellspawned offspring of Rene Belloq and Penelope Pitstop. Even her own droids hate her guts.

In fact that's the one thing that gives me pause about a D+ series - she's fun and delightful but just so awful that those who don't go for unlikeable car crash people won't dig it. Her heart mostly in the right place but she invariably chooses the worst option available every step of the way. She even exposes a plot against Palpatine!

Sounds like a fun hang to me man.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(11-24-2019, 08:02 PM)cd underbelly Wrote: You're going to have to explain for the non Star Wars nerds who don't consume anything but the movies which one Dr. Aphra is on that cover. I know who they both are, but any ignorant person's eye is going to look straight at the green lady first and make assumptions.

(11-25-2019, 03:06 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: Aw, I thought she was the Twi'lek.
Git' in under mah belly!

This seems like an important and topical dynamic to explore in Star Wars.  I'm excited for this series and will be watching it on day one.

Hayley Atwell as the Imperial Officer and Kaya Scoobydoomario as Dr. Aphra?  Or maybe Tatiana Maslany?  Ana de Armas or Margot Robbie?

Quote:In fact that's the one thing that gives me pause about a D+ series - she's fun and delightful but just so awful that those who don't go for unlikeable car crash people won't dig it. Her heart mostly in the right place but she invariably chooses the worst option available every step of the way. She even exposes a plot against Palpatine!

Eh.  All that will be changed.

They'll definitely soften some aspects for sure.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
I read a little of the beginning, and another one recently, it's a pretty shitty comic. The first few issues were like a really shit, unfunny version of that Space Dandy anime from the creator of Cowboy Bebop that would've been out the year before the Dr. Aphra comic started. I guess a tv show could be good, get some better writers; Space Dandy is great after all, no reason it's ripoff can't be either I guess.
(11-25-2019, 06:30 PM)Overlord Wrote:

This seems like an important and topical dynamic to explore in Star Wars.  I'm excited for this series and will be watching it on day one.

Hayley Atwell as the Imperial Officer and Kaya Scoobydoomario as Dr. Aphra?  Or maybe Tatiana Maslany?  Ana de Armas or Margot Robbie?

Down, boy.
(11-25-2019, 02:23 AM)rexbanner Wrote: I like the concept of Dr Aphra, and some of the more subdued bits of her in the comics I've read (her genuine fear of Darth Vader, her self-loathing) - but I hope they do dial her character down a bit in terms of her very smug River Song/Deadpool-style incessant archness.

I have a feeling this will be the most CW pseudo Joss Whedon show on all of Disney+. And I'm sure some of the upcoming Marvel shows will be like that too.

Who is Kaya Scoobydoomario? And is that her family name?