Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker (Post-Release Discussion)
Thumbs Up 
The long wait is over. 

Have at it.

(11-24-2019, 04:37 PM)Overlord Wrote: The entire plot of the movie is available ... heck, earlier versions are also spoiled online.

Let's segregate all spoiler material, be it leaks or post-release, here so that those still invested in the DisneyWars sequel trilogy won't have to worry.

There were lots of people in denial about the Jedi Paxis leaks, but every piece of marketing since the new trailer has proven JP right. Now, he's admitted he doesn't know everything about the film, but the general leaks are accurate.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gGjmRF0..._B7OA/view
(11-24-2019, 04:43 PM)mola ram Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 04:37 PM)Overlord Wrote: The entire plot of the movie is available ... heck, earlier versions are also spoiled online.

Let's segregate all spoiler material, be it leaks or post-release, here so that those still invested in the DisneyWars sequel trilogy won't have to worry.

There were lots of people in denial about the Jedi Paxis leaks, but every piece of marketing since the new trailer has proven JP right. Now, he's admitted he doesn't know everything about the film, but the general leaks are accurate.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gGjmRF0..._B7OA/view

Yup.
If the leak is fan fiction, it's fan fiction that at least connects all the dots shown in the trailers to form a coherent narrative.

The duel fought through the telepathic bond, with Rey and Kylo on different planets while they fight, the fake death of Chewie (psyching out fans who are aware of Chewie's fate in the now-discarded EU novels), and Kylo turning to the light after Rey defeats him and shows mercy all sound like great moments. If this is legit, though, I have a concern that the memory wipe of 3PO that gets undone in the third act is one fake death too many.

My reasons for being skeptical mostly have to do with the length of the synopsis. I don't see that story being a two hour and a half hour movie, at the storytelling pace that Star Wars movies typically move at. This picture would have to end up feeling like the most rushed installment of the franchise in order to squeeze it all in. Well, that, and of course the fact that the originator seems to keep editing his story as more trailers come out.

I'm glad that I finally got to read it, if nothing else. I have a fascination with how somebody can seem to get a kernel of truth and spin it into this elaborate thing. A few months back, a post purporting to spoil next year's World of Warcraft expansion attracted so much attention that the conversation started to metastasize across multiple forums and news sites. This was assisted by the fact that the game was experiencing a lull in content and real news at the time, but there was a remarkable amount of detail. Plot synopses, supposed screenshots, maps, the works. Three weeks ago, the day of the big reveal at Blizzcon came along... and it turned out that the redditor had the name and the fictional location of next year's expac right, and nothing else. Either he had made up the rest from whole cloth, or he was fed fake spoilers, or he was someone on the inside distributing fake spoilers under anonymity in order to generate buzz without giving away too much that was real. It's tempting to wonder if that's how the spoilers we're discussing got started.
Not reading any of this thread, just going to post an obversation.

Of all the threads on the first page in this specific movie forum, this is the only one that has a thumbs down icon next to it. Intetesting.

kthanxbye
Git' in under mah belly!
I have to chime in with this thought...

I have no faith, given the previous 2 JJ films, that the 3rd time is the charm.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
(11-24-2019, 06:09 PM)Reasor Wrote: If the leak is fan fiction, it's fan fiction that at least connects all the dots shown in the trailers to form a coherent narrative.

The duel fought through the telepathic bond, with Rey and Kylo on different planets while they fight, the fake death of Chewie (psyching out fans who are aware of Chewie's fate in the now-discarded EU novels), and Kylo turning to the light after Rey defeats him and shows mercy all sound like great moments.  If this is legit, though, I have a concern that the memory wipe of 3PO that gets undone in the third act is one fake death too many.  

My reasons for being skeptical mostly have to do with the length of the synopsis.  I don't see that story being a two hour and a half hour movie, at the storytelling pace that Star Wars movies typically move at.  This picture would have to end up feeling like the most rushed installment of the franchise in order to squeeze it all in.  Well, that, and of course the fact that the originator seems to keep editing his story as more trailers come out.

I'm glad that I finally got to read it, if nothing else.  I have a fascination with how somebody can seem to get a kernel of truth and spin it into this elaborate thing.  A few months back, a post purporting to spoil next year's World of Warcraft expansion attracted so much attention that the conversation started to metastasize across multiple forums and news sites.  This was assisted by the fact that the game was experiencing a lull in content and real news at the time, but there was a remarkable amount of detail.  Plot synopses, supposed screenshots, maps, the works.  Three weeks ago, the day of the big reveal at Blizzcon came along... and it turned out that the redditor had the name and the fictional location of next year's expac right, and nothing else.  Either he had made up the rest from whole cloth, or he was fed fake spoilers, or he was someone on the inside distributing fake spoilers under anonymity in order to generate buzz without giving away too much that was real.  It's tempting to wonder if that's how the spoilers we're discussing got started.

The reddit and MSW leaks predate the trailers and TV spots by months.  This isn’t a case of a fan with a vivid imagination expanding upon footage they’ve already seen.  3PO’s red eyes, the memory wipe, the sith dagger and Palpatine’s throne are all specific moments described in the leaks well before we saw them in the trailer.  And JJ made a comment regarding Rey’s parentage recently during an interview that leaves little doubt as to the veracity of the Rey/Palpatine rumors.
(11-24-2019, 06:12 PM)cd underbelly Wrote: Not reading any of this thread, just going to post an obversation.

Of all the threads on the first page in this specific movie forum, this is the only one that has a thumbs down icon next to it. Intetesting.

kthanxbye

Noticed that as well.

Fixed.

This shit about a Palpy clone dying on Death Star 2.0 better be fake.

Why is this also the post-release thread? It’s going to be dozens of pages long before anyone even sees the thing.
So what?
(11-24-2019, 10:49 PM)freeman Wrote: So what?

Forgive me, freeman, but some people in the post-release thread might want to know how the movie is, and not how much smarter you are than JJ Abrams when it comes to launching franchises.
Freeman gets it.

Abrams should have asked for his input.

Kylo Ren > A big happily fulfilled Skywalker family that never had anything unfortunate happen post-ROTJ
There’s technically nothing stopping anyone from making “The Rise Of Skywalker Post-Release Thread With Blackjack And Hookers, A Dark Shape Joint” or whatever.
(11-24-2019, 11:09 PM)The Dark Shape Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 10:49 PM)freeman Wrote: So what?

Forgive me, freeman, but some people in the post-release thread might want to know how the movie is, and not how much smarter you are than JJ Abrams when it comes to launching franchises.

If you're so uninterested in what I have to say, it's called the block function.  It will save you a lot of time.

Also, if you think any post release thread won't have pages and pages of nonsense you have to wade through...  Then you've never ever done one of these before.

(11-24-2019, 11:24 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Kylo Ren > A big happily fulfilled Skywalker family that never had anything unfortunate happen post-ROTJ

The EU, from which Kylo was directly stolen, has a big happy family and plenty of angst. The concepts are not mutually exclusive.
The leaks are true.

All of them.

So I'm not sure which segment of the fanbase is going to be satisfied with the ending of this film. The "shippers" are going to be pissed. The people who hated TLJ, well, there was only one way to mollify them and that didn't happen. Anyone heavily invested in the OT ending Palpatine's story might not be too pleased. Folks who thought the Skywalker bloodline might actually survive for future movies are going to be livid. The only people this movie seems designed to make happy are the hardcore "Rey is the best and the galaxy needs no one else" fans. I'm sure I'll check it out at some point in the next few weeks, but mostly I'll be interested in seeing the reactions online.

**I do get a chuckle over Luke and Anakin's lineage dying out while The Senate's survives.

****Totally shocked they didn't get Hayden to appear in-person. Maybe he looks too different now? I do like that he ignores his grandson but decides to chat with Palpy's grand-daughter.

Gold lightsaber FTW!
It's pretty bad but I enjoyed it as a lifelong Star Wars nerd.

Easily the worst of the sequel trilogy and JJ's weakest movie, but I'll be damned if Luke raising his X-Wing out of the water as Yoda's theme played didn't make me cry.
(12-17-2019, 04:49 PM)bradito Wrote: Gold lightsaber FTW!

This is honestly what I'm most hyped for. Unique lightsaber colours get me hot and bothered.

WORSE THAN INTO DARKNESS?!
Worse than Super 8??
OH BOY
(12-17-2019, 05:47 PM)The Dark Shape Wrote: It's pretty bad but I enjoyed it as a lifelong Star Wars nerd.

Easily the worst of the sequel trilogy and JJ's weakest movie, but I'll be damned if Luke raising his X-Wing out of the water as Yoda's theme played didn't make me cry.

OK, I hope you're not lying about this because I will absolutely love seeing that.
(12-17-2019, 05:47 PM)The Dark Shape Wrote: Easily the worst of the sequel trilogy and JJ's weakest movie,
Hee.

Hee.

Hee.
I thought Luke was dead.
Hold on...if this is legitimately worse than INTO DARKNESS, I'm gonna be a fucking rage machine on Thursday night.
(12-17-2019, 06:25 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Hold on...if this is legitimately worse than INTO DARKNESS, I'm gonna be a fucking rage machine on Thursday night.

Good, good.  Use your aggressive feelings.

(12-17-2019, 06:30 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 06:25 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Hold on...if this is legitimately worse than INTO DARKNESS, I'm gonna be a fucking rage machine on Thursday night.

INTO DARKNESS isn't a video game. RISE OF SKYWALKER is - the first 2/3rds of the movie are all about finding things that'll give a waypoint to the next objective.

Like I said, I enjoyed the movie. But that enjoyment comes wholly from my previous investment in the series and not anything TROS is bringing to the table on its own.
Ahahaha hahaha hahaha ahahaahahahahaaaa yes.
(12-17-2019, 06:37 PM)The Dark Shape Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 06:30 PM)Overlord Wrote:

INTO DARKNESS isn't a video game. RISE OF SKYWALKER is - the first 2/3rds of the movie are all about finding things that'll give a waypoint to the next objective.

Like I said, I enjoyed the movie. But that enjoyment comes wholly from my previous investment in the series and not anything TROS is bringing to the table on its own.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
I’ll be amazed if this is worse than the prequels. Not even INTO DARKNESS was that level of bad.
(12-17-2019, 05:47 PM)The Dark Shape Wrote: It's pretty bad but I enjoyed it as a lifelong Star Wars nerd.

I’m hopeful that one day we’ll learn where exactly RJ wanted to take the story for the third film in the trilogy. The leaks make the film sound like a complete betrayal of what Johnson was trying to accomplish in TLJ and a capitulation to the worst corners of SW fandom. I tried to remain optimistic that the final product would somehow be less monstrously stupid than the leaks sounded. I have to imagine a Johnson penned sequel to TLJ would be radically different than what we ended up getting.
I’m more curious of what exactly was in development right before Fisher passed away.
I do have to wonder, is it realistic to read these movies as reactions to each other? (Or the fan reaction).  The turnaround time is so relatively short between episodes that I can't see them considering public reaction to any large degree.

Honestly, it's probably two incompatible story telling styles clashing with each other.