Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WATCHMEN 80s Casting Draft (Sponsored by The B Action Movie Thread): Discussion
(12-16-2019, 12:43 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: I had Douglas as Veidt, very surprised he didn’t go there.

He could have been Dreiberg too.  In the end, I went with Blake for the inner rage that Douglas can project with a greater ease than anyone.

I can't believe that Hurt didn't go for Dr. Manhattan. I mean, he works for pretty much any role but he feels almost tailor made for Dr. Manhattan.

Sorry, I see that one as a bit of a miss.
Altered States might as well be the Dr Manhattan movie.

[Image: KVNj3Ds.gif]
[Image: s0eSpHj.gif]
[Image: GoodUnrealisticFireant-max-1mb.gif]
[Image: J4NH.gif]
Don't post pics of undrafted actors!
I was thinking more of Hurt's good-natured doofiness in Broadcast News when I picked him for Dan. Honestly, he was the first actor/role combo that popped into my head.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(12-16-2019, 01:02 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Don't post pics of undrafted actors!

If someone's got Morten Harket from a-ha on their draft list, they've got other problems.
(12-16-2019, 12:43 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Surprised Dourif wasn't the first pick of the day.

Hurt could have been Manhattan, Veidt or Dreiberg. I think I would have liked him as Manhattan the best, Altered States style!

Ferrer's a great Rorschach.

Yeah, Dourif is a great choice. Spot-on, one might say. I'm also liking Moriarty. Hadn't even thought of him.
So what's the over under on casting Paula Abdul as Silk Spectre?
Dourif was gonna be my Rorschach.
Dourif was at the top of my Rorschach list too, as was Rourke for Comedian.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
Fuck, Bowie as Manhattan was gonna be my second pick today:

[Image: bowie-alien_1200_510_81_s.jpg]
Dammit...just hit on Timothy Dalton for Ozy a little while ago. There he goes...
Nice one, Molt.
I went back and forth until the last second with Bowie as Manhattan vs Ozy. Of course, he really wanted to play Rorschach for some reason.

-Bart
Weller as Manhattan is another slam-dunk choice. Good one.
Gibbons lists Bowie as inspiration for Manhattan in his first sketches for Watchmen
I'm laughing at Dalton as Ozymandius. It's so perfect.

'Bloody amateurs...'
As was Dourif! He was my Rorschach when I first attempted a recast on these boards.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Bowie as Ozy was just a matter of time.

----------

(12-16-2019, 01:24 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Dammit...just hit on Timothy Dalton for Ozy a little while ago.  There he goes...
Nice one, Molt.

Thanks! I was having a tough time with that one. When I saw Reeve taken earlier I started thinking of other guys who played iconic heroes in that era, but who I could also envision with a sinister streak. That's when Dalton clicked.
(12-16-2019, 01:23 PM)axelbratoski Wrote: Fuck, Bowie as Manhattan was gonna be my second pick today:

[Image: bowie-alien_1200_510_81_s.jpg]

I also had him as a possible Manhattan. I can very much see Bowie in 80s superstar mode pulling off Ozy, though.
(12-16-2019, 01:42 PM)Alt-molt Wrote:
(12-16-2019, 01:24 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Dammit...just hit on Timothy Dalton for Ozy a little while ago.  There he goes...
Nice one, Molt.

Thanks! I was having a tough time with that one. When I saw Reeve taken earlier I started thinking of other guys who played iconic heroes in that era, but who I could also envision with a sinister streak. That's when Dalton clicked.

You also need someone who looks the part, physically.  Dalton was in great shape in the 80s and did his own stunts whenever possible.  You could believe in him doing the necessary fight scenes and so forth.  He also absolutely projected intelligence.  It's a great pick.
My Manhattan will be mostly fx . . . I'm casting based on his voice.
(12-16-2019, 01:46 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: My Manhattan will be mostly fx . . . I'm casting based on his voice.

For 1980s?  I'm thinking Manhattan is gonna be a naked guy walking around in blue makeup.
You do always have the split casting option. Cast a voice/Osterman and a Manhattan as the bonus.

-Bart
Vain hope that JLC would last for Silk Spectre.
Petter Weller as Manhattan was my #1 choice. Hunter beat me by 30 minutes.
I thought about going meta and casting Irons as Ozy.

----------

I too was going to take Weller for Doc.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Ironside is a really solid pick I didn't even think of.
Nice one, Arjen. Seeing Michael Ironside chew his way through some of the Comedian's lines would be interesting.
Love the Ironside pick.

I went extreme with my selection as well.
I’m going to need to know the thinking behind Patrick Stewart as Rorschach
Michael Ironside is a treasure. He also happens to have the best character names of any actor of all time. Personal favorite is Ham Tyler, obviously. But he's also played Jester, Katana, Overdog, Richter, Darryl Revok, Colt Hawker, Butch Scarsdale, Luther Kane, Lt. Ralf Barfuss, Roberto Largo, and Bats O'Bannion, among many, many others.
Cash Bailey as The Comedian is pretty great.
(12-16-2019, 02:04 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I thought about going meta and casting Irons as Ozy.

He's so good in the part on the show that it crossed my mind.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti