Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WATCHMEN 80s Casting Draft (Sponsored by The B Action Movie Thread): Discussion
Rutger!!!
(12-16-2019, 02:32 PM)atomtastic Wrote: I’m going to need to know the thinking behind Patrick Stewart as Rorschach

He's a far more versatile actor than people tend to think. He talked for years about wanting to play or voice Spider Jerusalem in a TRANSMETROPOLITAN thing, and I for one think he would be great. One of his skills is to convey great rage and turmoil just under the surface - check out his Macbeth if you haven't. Plus, if you're going to have him under a mask for the majority of the picture, you want a great voice. And that voice!
home taping is killing music
I was debating between picking Ozymandias or The Comedian but when I saw Molt's post I rushed to grab Nolte.

Hauer is suitably Aryan-looking but maybe a little bit too villanous?
(12-16-2019, 02:38 PM)axelbratoski Wrote: I was debating between picking Ozymandias or The Comedian but when I saw Molt's post I rushed to grab Nolte.

Hauer is suitably Aryan-looking but maybe a little bit too villanous?

By the late 80s, Hauer was playing both good guys and bad guys.  I think that duality would suit the character of Adrian well.  Also, Hauer was charming/charismatic as hell, had a slightly arrogant demeanor about him, projected extreme intelligence, and looked physically able to do what Adrian could do.  I think he'd have been perfect.
Stewart would have made a decent Ozy.
Rutger is a killer Ozymandias. He'd rock the costume like a pro.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
(12-16-2019, 02:38 PM)axelbratoski Wrote: I was debating between picking Ozymandias or The Comedian but when I saw Molt's post I rushed to grab Nolte.

I'm just thrilled that EXTREME PREJUDICE has had such bountiful representation on Day 1.

A BREED APART not doing bad either!
(12-16-2019, 02:50 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: Rutger is a killer Ozymandias. He'd rock the costume like a pro.

'Fuck the bonus.'
Still two more principles from A Breed Apart on the table!
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Did we skip Richard?
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Aykroyd! Now that's a fun pick for Dreiberg.
Damn it, I oversleep and miss out on Burt, Jamie, and Hurt.

Totally had Hurt pegged for Doc M.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
WOW Aykroyd as Nite Owl is *inspired*.
We should really just call this the "Watchmen Retro-Draft, Sponsored by the B-Movie Thread."
home taping is killing music
I was looking at Keaton as Rorschach. He doesn't seem schlubby enough for Dan.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Holy shit Farina as the Comedian.

(12-16-2019, 02:58 PM)boone daniels Wrote: We should really just call this the "Watchmen Retro-Draft, Sponsored by the B-Movie Thread."

I'm out of rep and goddammit can we get a thread title change?
Farina is a killer selection. Hadn't thought of him but that is spot on.
(12-16-2019, 03:03 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I was looking at Keaton as Rorschach.  He doesn't seem schlubby enough for Dan.

I thought about him as Rorshach as well. Having him play yet another superhero character based on a flying animal was too good of an opportunity to pass up. Plus he could always wear some padding for the schlub, like he did in some Beetlejuice scenes.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
I too am delighted by the Aykroyd pick.
I went for Aykroyd because not only does he physically fit where Dreiberg is in 1985, he also projects tremendous intelligence (you can buy him as a former lawyer) and massive nerditude (he's the biggest fanboy in the story).
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
It all depends on the Silk Spectre he ends up banging.
Ackroyd’s great. Keaton has, I think, the same magic touch Patrick Wilson has in the Snyder film where he’s not actually schlubby but he can project that aura perfectly in an adult-Ben-in-IT kind of way where he’s still that sensitive shy fat kid no matter how he changes physically. I was hoping I could grab him tomorrow but I knew it was a long shot.

I was really hoping Hauer would fall far enough to pair with Bowie. I think that would have been a fun visual, those two paired off as the Superman and the World’s Smartest Man.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
(12-16-2019, 03:20 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: It all depends on the Silk Spectre he ends up banging.

I will repeat, I'm massively bummed that I missed out on Jamie Lee Curtis.
(12-16-2019, 03:22 PM)hammerhead Wrote:
(12-16-2019, 03:20 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: It all depends on the Silk Spectre he ends up banging.

I will repeat, I'm massively bummed that I missed out on Jamie Lee Curtis.

There was no way that JLC was going to last beyond day 1.  I'm 99.9% sure that everyone had her at or near the top of their lists.
Even [retracted former Monty Python member] had her on his list!
Damn...Ellen Barkin is a great choice. Hadn't thought of her.
Bogosian is an interesting pick. I've dug him since Talk Radio.
He's perfect for my theme!
I'm struggling with the choice between casting the younger versions and having them play old or casting the older versions and having them play young.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(12-16-2019, 03:34 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I'm struggling with the choice between casting the younger versions and having them play old or casting the older versions and having them play young.

Assuming a direct adaptation, I'm trying to account for whether or not a character has significant flashback scenes.
I was thinking Brown for Manhattan.
Melanie was my backup for Sally.
I originally had others in mind, and then I realized having rewatched Something Wild a few weeks ago, she’s a near-exact physical match for the character.

Also, adore Bogosian as Nite Owl. Underrated actor.
You can get nice and meta with Melanie too.
(12-16-2019, 04:09 PM)atomtastic Wrote: You can get nice and meta with Melanie too.

Ooh, didn't think of that. Same with Jamie Lee Curtis, actually.