Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Netflix's DON'T F*CK WITH CATS (Documentary)
I binged all three episodes last night - something I never do, especially when I start watching the first one at 10 PM. 

Holy shit.

First, it's disturbing as FUCK since it's essentially documenting the birth of a potential serial killer from beginning to...well, I won't spoil it.

Warning: the title is very applicable as the killer in question begins by torturing and killing kittens. The actual act isn't shown, but the killer recorded it and the doc shows clips from the video before and after the killing of the animals. 

But it's a deeply compelling doc of what evolves into the parallel investigations into finding the killer: two Americans, neither in law enforcement but both very tech savvy, using the killer's digital footprints to identify and track them, and then, when things escalate, the actual law enforcement investigation.

I wouldn't blame anyone for being too upset about the animal violence for not watching but if you can somehow make it past that point....holy shit. I never, ever stay up to 1 AM on a weeknight binging TV but I did last night.

And the final montage/speculation about the killer's MO is stunning and brilliantly edited and conceived.

What's really weird is that it almost plays out like a book or a movie plot rather than actual life. It's very much a case of life imitating art imitating life; the killer clearly absorbed a lot of TV and film, especially about serial killer tropes, and pretty much lives out all of them. Fascinating, horrifying, and deeply upsetting.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
He tortued and killed kittens and recorded it? I hope they string him up by his penis. Piece of shit.
Git' in under mah belly!
I don't think I can watch this.
PSN: Kriegaffe
(01-10-2020, 09:30 PM)cd underbelly Wrote: He tortued and killed kittens and recorded it? I hope they string him up by his penis. Piece of shit.

He, uh... he did a whole lot more than that.
(01-11-2020, 02:10 AM)kriegaffe Wrote: I don't think I can watch this.

I don't fault anyone who can't. None of the actual killing of animals (or people) is shown, but before and after is.

I don't think I could watch the first episode again.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

I knew the story but it's still quite a harrowing watch. For some reason all the animal stuff (largely the first ep or two) is the most traumatising. I actually think they went a bit too far in how much they showed. I certainly didn't need to see bits of the clips to understand the severity of the crime.

SPOILER

Also, I thought the last bit of the doc where the people who literally spend months/years making a documentary about the subject suggest that perhaps WE the viewers should feel implicated was self righteous bullshit.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(01-11-2020, 03:23 AM)Dent6084 Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 09:30 PM)cd underbelly Wrote: He tortued and killed kittens and recorded it? I hope they string him up by his penis. Piece of shit.

He, uh... he did a whole lot more than that.

Killing people? Eh, unfazed.

Killing little kitties? CUT OFF HIS TOUNGE AND HIS DICK AND MAKE 'EM SWITCH PLACES AND THEN STITCH 'EM BACK ON!
Git' in under mah belly!
My reaction, too.

But the murder he commits is...really bad.

And there's a small detail that's caught by security cameras that just creeped me the fuck out.

(01-11-2020, 08:18 AM)Evi Wrote: Also, I thought the last bit of the doc where the people who literally spend months/years making a documentary about the subject suggest that perhaps WE the viewers should feel implicated was self righteous bullshit.

Yeah I thought that was hilariously stupid.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Oh, yeah. Her addressing the audience was incredibly dumb. Weird and off note on which to end the doc.

Can't watch it.  Thanks for the write up, though.
(01-11-2020, 08:18 AM)Evi Wrote: I knew the story but it's still quite a harrowing watch. For some reason all the animal stuff (largely the first ep or two) is the most traumatising. I actually think they went a bit too far in how much they showed. I certainly didn't need to see bits of the clips to understand the severity of the crime.

SPOILER

Also, I thought the last bit of the doc where the people who literally spend months/years making a documentary about the subject suggest that perhaps WE the viewers should feel implicated was self righteous bullshit.
Enjoyed this, but yeah that part where she turned right to the camera and tried to say we the viewers might be implicit was just dumb.
"It's no coincidence that Donald Trump and CUUUUUUUUNT have the same amount of letters" courtesy of Fraid

(01-12-2020, 03:17 PM)jonathan moxon Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 08:18 AM)Evi Wrote: I knew the story but it's still quite a harrowing watch. For some reason all the animal stuff (largely the first ep or two) is the most traumatising. I actually think they went a bit too far in how much they showed. I certainly didn't need to see bits of the clips to understand the severity of the crime.

SPOILER

Enjoyed this, but yeah that part where she turned right to the camera and tried to say we the viewers might be implicit was just dumb.

I mean unless he escapes prison and goes on another murder spree fueled by Netflix.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(01-11-2020, 12:42 PM)cd underbelly Wrote: Killing people? Eh, unfazed.

Killing little kitties? CUT OFF HIS TOUNGE AND HIS DICK AND MAKE 'EM SWITCH PLACES AND THEN STITCH 'EM BACK ON!

Well, yes, and sometimes this is egregious. But change 'people' to 'a child' or 'children' and you get a somewhat different response. Which tells you a bit about animal sympathies.

SPOILER

I liked those "internet nerds" less and less as the doc went on.   At the end, when the lady looked at the camera and blamed us for contributing to the problem?   The same person that bragged about digitally walking down one street after another to find this guy's address?   

I'm not sure if the filmmakers liked the amateur sleuths any more than us at the end.   Their smugness and self righteousness really wore thin as this thing went on.   That's for sure.   Still, (Spoiler) that montage at the end where they figure out who that "other guy" really is?   Fantastic stuff.   And creepy.   Whose favorite movie is Basic Instinct after all?
Serial killers. Duh.

(01-14-2020, 12:42 PM)ChrisW Wrote:

SPOILER

I liked those "internet nerds" less and less as the doc went on.   At the end, when the lady looked at the camera and blamed us for contributing to the problem?   The same person that bragged about digitally walking down one street after another to find this guy's address?   

I'm not sure if the filmmakers liked the amateur sleuths any more than us at the end.   Their smugness and self righteousness really wore thin as this thing went on.   That's for sure.   Still, (Spoiler) that montage at the end where they figure out who that "other guy" really is?   Fantastic stuff.   And creepy.   Whose favorite movie is Basic Instinct after all?

Also for all of their work they put in, didn't someone simply tip them off as to who the killer was? They never said who sent them the message but I believe they got a message that just said this guy is who you are looking for. So that was either someone who knew him once or.....him. Looking back their detective skills may not have been that great.. Not to mention when it came to the murder he left all of the evidence in the world behind including shit with his name on it.

Also "the other guy" Manny. I get it was all bullshit but who was that second pair of hands?
Not only did someone (very likely Magnotta himself) tip them off, but they had basically zilch to do with his capture. Making them the focus of the documentary was a weird choice.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Found an older news documentary about this.  A different presentation of the same subject, with many of the same players.