Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Trouble City 2019 Film Awards?
Usually we do some kind of Oscar poll, but I was thinking this year it might be fun to mix it up and pick our own nominees! 

But the twist being we add categories that are unique to "this place," or are categories that should be recognized at the Oscars. 

This could all be done with Google Polls - it's fairly easy to set up - and would allow people to just add their own nominees for the pre-decided categories. Google Polls is really good at tallying results, so the winners in each category could be found and then we could do poll threads on the site to determine the winners.

So for categories, I think you start with the big 5, and then add score, cinematography and editing. We should do ten nominees for Picture, I think, and then 5 for the rest. 

1. Picture (10)
2. Actor
3. Actress
4. Supporting Actor
5. Supporting Actress
6. Original Screenplay
7. Adapted Screenplay
8. Original Score
9. Cinematography 
10. Editing

I think, then, we should aim for 10 categories of our own for an even 20. Some ideas: 

Breakthrough Performance, Actor
Breakthrough Performance, Actress
Comeback Performance by an Actor or Actress
Performance by a Character Actor or Actress
First Feature
Stunts/Action Sequences
Soundtrack (i.e., music from a secondary source/source other than score)
B-Movie/Direct to Video/VOD Release 
Horror Film
Visual Effects, Practical or CGI

The Wendigo Award for Best Practical Creature/Makeup
Career Achievement (given to any film related person who was noteworthy in 2020)
Instant Classic (a film you think people will still be talking about in 10-20 years)

I also think it might be cool to do something like the TCA's "Heritage Award," which is basically like a Hall of Fame, but for tv shows. For this, they generally pick a nominee/winner from an older program that was in the news or noteworthy that year. So it could be something like giving it to the MCU, but I'm sure we can get more creative. 

Obviously, if there's not interest, we won't do it, but I think something like this was done back in the day, and it would be cool to bring it back.
home taping is killing music
Work in a "This Will Never Happen" award in honor of Boone, perhaps for the 2019 theatrical release that surprised you the most?
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

I’m in! Sounds fun.

Could we include Best Scared-As-Shit Performance and Best Kiss?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I would love to take part in the Troubies or Chuddies or whatever we want to call it. If I think of some cool TC-esque categories, I'll post them shortly.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
We can do more than 20 categories, too. I was originally thinking 25, but that felt like a lot. But I'm honestly up for facilitating whatever people are excited about. I love the ideas for categories that have been mentioned -- those might be more fun than the Instant Classic and Heritage-type award.
Excellent idea!

Love Neil's suggested category.

And love using the wendigo for the practical makeup effects category!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I realize now it was meant to be the Manitou, not the Wendigo. I'm old but let's keep it.

I was also thinking about a Best Film Critic or Podcast award, since I know we have some fans of that here.
Some TC specific award ideas. Discuss/improve/reject as you think best:

The MIRROR MIRROR Award for most verbally abused film

The GFOOCC award for worst/most arbitrary setpiece

The GODS OF EGYPT award for the best "bad" film

The Al Pacino "and he's got it ALL THE WAY UP IT" Overacting Award
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Petition to rename it the Al Pacino "THIS IS MY UNION" Award.

(On the rewatchables they've cycled through a number of different names for a similar category; it used to be the Mark Ruffalo "THEY KNEW" Award for Most Overacting.)
Petition to rename it the Pacino HOOO HAAAAHHH Award.

Other categories:

Best Needle Drop. This is the counterpart to Best Song in that it uses an existing piece of music in a great way.
Best Ending. This is the 'didn't shit the bed' award.
(01-10-2020, 12:00 PM)boone daniels Wrote: (On the rewatchables they've cycled through a number of different names for a similar category; it used to be the Mark Ruffalo "THEY KNEW" Award for Most Overacting.)

Which, NGL, was a big reason why I watched SPOTLIGHT. Just to behold that golden moment.

Honestly, Ruffalo's performance in that film kinda kills the entire movie. It's so completely overwrought at to overwhelm the positive attributes. I tried watching it again recently and had to almost FF through all of his scenes.
THEY KNEW, JUDAS! THEY KNEW!

This is a positive thread about movies being awesome! Plenty of places to talk about Mark Ruffalo going for it. Smile

Anyway, on that note, I'm hesitant to do awards that focus on things like "bad movies" or "worst setpiece." I put in the B-movie category to kind of encompass everything that's second tier, or could be in the "so bad it's good." Allows for a lot of discussion.
Sure, sure. I'm good with whatever you think works for this.

I look forward to the lavish parties you all throw to try to sway my vote.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
I'm interested in being involved in this.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Man I wished I saw more movies last year.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Is the host going to make mean jokes about us?

I’m totally in for this.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
The host will be Norm McDonald (in character as Burt Reynolds), the tree from Evil Dead, and my brother.

(Maybe four of you will get that.)
(01-10-2020, 01:47 PM)boone daniels Wrote: The host will be Norm McDonald (in character as Burt Reynolds), the tree from Evil Dead, and my brother.

(Maybe four of you will get that.)

Great more tree rape.
[Image: anigif_sub-buzz-2506-1578282121-1.gif?do...ality=auto]
Here's a tentative list of 28. (I cannot believe I left off Best Director of the original list!)

Again, I'm flexible with this, and I know I said 20, but this, to me, feels like a fun and comprehensive list. Obviously a film, if nominated, can win in multiple categories. 

Ideas I also considered were Best Ensemble, Best Title Design (either opening or main-on-end), Best Poster, and Best Trailer.

There might be some overlap between Genre Picture and DTV Release, but I thought the two were different enough that they deserved their own category.

Obviously there's no pressure to vote for 5 nominees in every category, you can vote for 1, or you can vote up to 5. If, like the Oscars, only three nominees get more votes than the others, then there will only be three nominees in that category.  

I'm also happy to go back in and trim these down (the Oscars usually have between 24 and 27, depending on how many categories in the Governors' Awards there are), or take additional suggestions. 

FILMS
1. Picture (10)
2. First Feature
3. The Joe Bob Briggs Award for Best Genre Picture (Horror/Sci-Fi/Action)
4. The B-Movie Action Thread Award for Best Direct to Video or VOD Release (includes direct to streaming platforms)
5. The "This Will Never Happen" Award (a movie you were skeptical about but wound up liking) 

ACTING
1. Actor
2. Actress
3. Supporting Actor 
4. Supporting Actress 
5. Breakthrough Performance, Actor
6. Breakthrough Performance, Actress
7. The Jack Horner Award for Best Comeback Performance by an Actor or Actress
8. The Cates-Hammond Award for Best Acting Duo (formerly the Goose Bradshaw Memorial Award)
9. Scared Shitless Performance by an Actor or Actress
10. The Al Pacino Award for Most Scenery-Chewing in a Motion Picture (overacting)

TECHNICAL
1. Director
2. Original Screenplay
3. Adapted Screenplay
4. Original Score
5. Cinematography 
6. Editing
7. Stunts/Action Sequences
8. Needle Drop (can be either an entire soundtrack of secondary music *or* a specific moment using music other than score.)
9. The Wendigo-Manitou Award for Best Practical Effects, Creature, or Make-up (can be for an individual design or a whole film)
10. Best Romantic Moment (can include kiss, chemistry, etc.)

GENERAL ACHIEVEMENT 

1. The Fat Elvis Award for Outstanding Film Criticism (named in honor - sincerely - of one of our most tireless champions of the art of criticism, this can be awarded for a single piece, a body of work throughout the year, podcast, video essay, whatever)

2. The Landed Plane Award for Best Ending (to a movie, franchise, etc.)

3. The Uncle Mitch Award for Exceptional Achievement in Cinema (a performer, filmmaker, franchise, or film that was particularly notable in 2019, and that will be remembered for years to come. This could be a career best award, a film that broke a record, or whatever.)
(01-10-2020, 02:58 PM)boone daniels Wrote: 2. The Landed Plane Award for Best Ending (to a movie, franchise, etc.)

LOVE this.  Kudos.
I love this all of this, and look forward to taking part. Thanks for putting in the effort, Boone.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
I often thought that doing our own version of the Oscars for years past would be a fun game we could engage in from time to time. This is quite ambitious. A lot of categories. A lot to think about...
My serious suggestion:

No single best pic award. Let's break it down by genre, with the caveat that not all films neatly fit and that we could easily have close to ten genres (but shouldn't).

Action
Horror
Drama
Comedy/Musical
Animated

I'm not opposed to breaking it down further into genres - though I'd recommend making the Action award the B-Movie Award and eliminating VOD, since our collective tastes in action would probably favor that heavily. I'd also do Horror/Sci-Fi.

My concern would be that I like the idea of having some kind of award for overall achievement - but that's kind of what the Uncle Mitch award could be.

I completely blanked on Animated (as well as director), but I feel like we should add animation somehow.

I'm torn between wanting to spread the love, and not having too many categories (so eliminating things like Editing and Cinematography, combining Screenplay and Breakout Performance).
I think the other genres are fairly well represented, but I could see Best Pic being separated between comedies and dramas, Golden Globes style. (The Golden Choads?)
Don't do too many categories. As it is, I feel like we're a half hour away from 'Best Movie with Hollywood in the Title'.
Jimmy Hollywood.
(01-10-2020, 03:56 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Don't do too many categories.  As it is, I feel like we're a half hour away from 'Best Movie with Hollywood in the Title'.

Killjoy!

I think the 28 above are good. Ensemble's interesting, but I'd be hard-pressed to add much for Poster/Title Design/Trailer.
Here's a list of 26. I split Best Picture, combined Breakthrough Performance and Screenplay, and eliminated Best Romantic Moment (there weren't any other "moment" categories). I also added a Best Cast award.  

1. Best Picture, Drama or Musical (5)
2. Best Picture, Comedy or Animation (5)
3. First Feature
4. The B-Movie Action Thread Award for Best Genre Picture (Horror/Sci-Fi/Action)
5. The "This Will Never Happen" Award (a movie you were skeptical about but wound up liking) 

ACTING
1. Actor
2. Actress
3. Supporting Actor 
4. Supporting Actress 
5. Breakthrough Performance, Actor or Actress
6. The Jack Horner Award for Best Comeback Performance by an Actor or Actress
7. The Cates-Hammond Award for Best Acting Duo (formerly the Goose Bradshaw Memorial Award)
8. Scared Shitless Performance by an Actor or Actress
9. The Al Pacino Award for Most Scenery-Chewing in a Motion Picture (overacting)
10. Ensemble/Cast

TECHNICAL
1. Director
2. Screenplay, Adapted or Original 
3. Original Score
4. Cinematography
5. Editing
6. Stunts/Action Sequences
7. Needle Drop (can be either an entire soundtrack of secondary music *or* a specific moment using music other than score.)
8. The Wendigo-Manitou Award for Best Practical Effects, Creature, or Make-up (can be for an individual design or a whole film)

GENERAL ACHIEVEMENT 

1. The Fat Elvis Award for Outstanding Film Criticism (named in honor - sincerely - of one of our most tireless champions of the art of criticism, this can be awarded for a single piece, a body of work throughout the year, podcast, video essay, whatever)

2. The Landed Plane Award for Best Ending (to a movie, franchise, etc.)

3. The Uncle Mitch Award for Exceptional Achievement in Cinema (a performer, filmmaker, franchise, or film that was particularly notable in 2019, and that will be remembered for years to come. This could be a career best award, a film that broke a record, or whatever.)
(01-10-2020, 04:06 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 03:56 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Don't do too many categories.  As it is, I feel like we're a half hour away from 'Best Movie with Hollywood in the Title'.

Killjoy!

[Image: MV5BZWRmYzM3ZjAtYTQ3MC00NDg3LTgyODktNGU4...68_AL_.jpg]

Interesting choice, but I don't think it's eligible.
Love the Fat Elvis award!

And bailey:

no.