Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Outsider
I haven't read the book yet but I'm tempted to say that this might already be one of my favorite (if not my very favorite) Stephen King TV show.   Very atmospheric and genuinely disturbing.   I totally didn't see the second episode twist coming and curious how it goes from here.   Also major props to Jason Bateman on the direction of the first two episodes.   I liked his directorial work on Ozark, but he revealed some impressive chops here.
Haven't watched the second episode yet (tonight, hopefully) but yeah, I'm in for the duration at this point.

It's kind of funny seeing Mendo in a role that calls for silence and understated acting! Bateman being excellent doesn't surprise me after watching the first season of Ozark.

I am glad the series is (thus far) playing fair with modern tech, and that the characters all appear to be functioning, thinking human beings. What I mean is that it would've been very, very easy for the series to handwave or Because TV Show Terry being set up by his doppleganger...but it doesn't. I have to assume some of that is the source material. I'm just glad they didn't choose some easy or cheap ways out.

The opening episode had two explicitly supernatural moments but I assume that'll get more prevelant as the story develops.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Thanks for the heads up on this thread Michael. And this will be a blast to talk about.

Am extremely tempted to pick up the book today considering im about to finish my current reading.
I found the lensing for the opening episode a bit offputting (which may have been the intended effect). A LOT of close ups with very shallow depth of field; it made for unsettling viewing for me (60" HD TV). It was too prevalent not to be deliberate; reminded me a bit of AMERICAN GODS' cinematography (which I didn't care for much).
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Im a fan of geometry found in nature and infrastructure, so alot if tge flyover establishing shots I ate right up.

Shallow depth of field can be a bit too much if relied on too heavily i agree. It can be excused a bit if they at least let the canera set in one place and let everyone act in long takes, for me anyway.

Now I know i need to watch Ozarks...
I gave Ozark a try. Too relentlessly bleak for me. Everyone in it is excellent but there just wasn't enough payoff (for me) for all the grim plot.

If that Bateman kid wanted to, he could stop making movies and start making movies.
Ozark is bad, but none of that's got to do with Bateman's directing.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Is Ozark bleaker than this? Because if so, yikes.

This is good. I’ll watch all of this. I’m completely unfamiliar with the book (we’re already well past what I understood it to be), but I do heave to admit, a big part of me is thinking ‘so, it’s just gonna be some shape shifting monster, and that’ll be that, right?’

Doesn’t matter, I’m in for the duration, no question. Quite compelling as a production, with a very watchable cast, from Mendelsohn to the day players. Feels, in some ways, like a better attempt to match King’s sensibility with the detective genre than King has actually managed himself. Although as I said, I haven’t read the book, which I’ll likely have to correct this year.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I'd say yeah, Ozark's bleaker than this.

Wow. This has been nothing children getting raped and murdered, families getting torn apart, unsuccessful suicide attempts, life-defining failure and shame, and also some children dying of cancer, added seemingly as a garnish.

Color me intrigued. Ozark slides ever so slightly up in the queue.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Bleaker emotionally, I guess. Outsider in one episode was already more gruesome and graphic.

But just the fact that in the first episode of Outsider Terry's alibi is confirmed and the lead detective is willing to question his assumptions makes it more...hopeful?....than Ozark.

I'm really digging this. It's adhering to the book closely, but as I thought the book was pretty great, I'm okay with that.

Looking forward to Holly Gibney showing up.
Holy shit. Just finished Episode 2. Did NOT see any of that coming.

And I'd forgotten Cynthia Erivo was in this. Looking forward to her being a main character.

(01-13-2020, 07:59 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Holy shit. Just finished Episode 2. Did NOT see any of that coming.

And I'd forgotten Cynthia Erivo was in this. Looking forward to her being a main character.

The show is grim as hell, but it has a dark sense of humor.   I mean how perfect is Big Daddy's Hangry BBQ?   That's a gem!
Cracking up because I love in effing Dayton!

(01-13-2020, 12:38 PM)Evi Wrote: Ozark is bad, but none of that's got to do with Bateman's directing.
Going by Ozark, no one in Missouri has indoor electricity. I spent the one season I endured constantly wondering why nobody would turn on the damn lights.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
This is the most un-Jason Bateman character Jason Bateman has ever Jason Batemaned.
Did I hear right , or when Bateman told the story about Mendohlsons son, he said he HAD wished he touched him??

Wtf?
He meant in the "I hoped I made an impact for the better."

Seemed clear to me in the context in which it was said.

It was a strong moment. Bateman and Mendelsohn did a hell of a job with that scene.
(01-13-2020, 09:20 PM)MichaelM Wrote: He meant in the "I hoped I made an impact for the better."

Seemed clear to me in the context in which it was said.

Ok. I figured, it was late when I watched. My mistake.
Sure, sure. I've made similar mistakes watching stuff/late tired.

I'd recommend rewatching the scene. As mike j wrote, it's a powerful one and really informs the rest of the episode.

This seems like if THE NIGHT OF had it's big twist be that the killer was actually a shape-shifting monster.

I dig it.
Speaking of THE NIGHT OF, I was happy to see Bill Camp in the show.

Bill Camp is awesome in Compliance. Its on Crackle and Shudder and is a pretty difficult watch but I highly recommend it.
It's pretty good so far.

I haven't read the book, so I'm going in pretty blind, but enjoying it. There's some harsh shit going on in this town.

Is the book good? I haven't read anything by King in a while, but this show is getting me interested in the book.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
I just watched the first two episodes, and I’m all in. Deeply unsettling stuff, with a fantastic central hook. Great to see Mendelsohn get a showcase like this.

I do think they may have already tipped their hand as to the basic explanation for what’s going on (in the parlance others in here have already used, "a shapeshifting monster"), but the book has been recommended to me by more than a few people who speak very highly of it, so I expect it's going to end up being a bit more involved than just that.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I don't know how this is going to play out, but it seems like it's going to be something like an evil spirit or creature goes to these towns and "poisons" the town with this murder and sets the events rolling for the town to eventually destroy itself.

After that murder, lives just started to end literally and figuratively.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
I picked up the book yesterday and Am already about a third the way through. Am going to catch up to where the series is and go little by little. The series hasn't strayed too far from the source material except for one pretty big detail (I'm guessing the series changed it for extra dramatic affect).
So far, this feels like TRUE DETECTIVE if TRUE DETECTIVE had veered off into legitimately supernatural territory like I always wanted it to.
One episode in as of last night, what a great, well acted and directed, atmospheric opener!
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

(01-17-2020, 11:40 AM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: So far, this feels like TRUE DETECTIVE if TRUE DETECTIVE had veered off into legitimately supernatural territory like I always wanted it to.

Same for me. And with King as the author of the source material, we know there will be supernatural hijinks. (As if the mysterious, odd-faced figure in the hoodie wasn't clue enough.)

I can't wait to see how they handle the second half of this specific story.
A part in the book that gave me a chuckle was the details of what Terry Maitland watched after everything had been scooped up with the search warrant.

He's a fan of The Ozarks on Netflix.

Beautiful. I'm sure King had in his mind already who would be playing Maitland.