Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Docs, Box Sets, And Deluxe Editions
Here's a thread for the serious music fans amongst us.

Do you want not just the classic album itself, but all the outtakes, alternate takes, and bonus tracks? Do you want to know everything there is to know about your favorite bands/ artists? Do you want the complete artwork and liner notes? Do you care about the mixes and loudness level?

Here's where we can discuss releases; recommend particularly worthwhile whatever or give a warning about what was botched.

I'll start: documentary-

DAVID CROSBY: REMEMBER MY NAME

Crosby was the epitome of the Boomer tool for most of my life. I hated CSN&Y. I never liked the early Byrds. About 7 years ago I stumbled across an amazing live version of "I Almost Cut My Hair", and it blew my mind- opening my ears and forcing a reconsideration and reluctant appreciation.  This doc is a great way to explore a complicated tragic artist who had all the talent and gifts in the world but blew it. It's very moving to find him facing death and trying to get all the music he can out of himself before the show is over, while also coming to terms with reality that all his old friends are done with him.

As companion piece:

ECHO IN THE CANYON

This looks at the Laurel Canyon artistic community of musicians in the 60's that formed collaborative partnerships and relationships, creating some of the most powerful music of the era

Oh, and if you haven't gotten around to AMAZING GRACE yet, stop what you're doing now and get on it. A holy grail lost film, fully restored; it's Aretha at the height of her powers, in an intimate setting, talking to God and celebrating her spirituality. It's staggeringly soul-stirring to the point of doing euphoric backflips down the aisle of your living room.

Discuss!

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

A head's up: the Chuck Berry doc/ concert film Chuck Berry: Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll is getting a Blu release.

It's amazing. One of my favorite things ever. Chuck is a complicated cat, but it's a worthy celebration.

The performances are pure fire, yet my most favorite thing is the 'Witness to History' conversation with Little Richard, Chuck, & Bo Diddley. You'll wish you could listen to the 3 of them share stories for another 3 hours!

That's a killer movie.
I was lucky enough to catch in the theatre back in the day. It rocked hard.