Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decade Draft: The 2010's. Sign-Up
Draft will be held starting Monday Feb. 3rd, or Feb. 10th. I'm open to either.

Eligible films will be based on U.S. release date (limited or wide release, not festival), unless a film never received a proper U.S. release. In that case the film will either be considered by its U.S. home video release, or revert back to the release date in its country of origin, depending on which makes more sense.

The number of films drafted will depend on the number of participants. If the draft is crowded, we may only pick one film a day, but the plan is two per person, per day. The draft order will be random, and snaked.

You may make your selection ANYTIME after your time slot comes up, including late in the evening, or even the next day. You may also make your selection prior to your time slot if you see that everyone from the group immediately preceding yours has gone. The names within a group are in no particular order, but once a film is picked, it's off the board. So be quick.

I don't imagine we'll all be here doing this in 2030, so this may be the final decade draft!  Sign up now!
I'm in.
I'm in!
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
I am in.
home taping is killing music
I’m in, and likely in for the 2030 one.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I'm in.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
I'm in!
I'm in.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Also in.
You give me a time and a place, I give you a five day window. Anything happens in that five days and I'm yours, no matter what. Anything happens a minute either side of that and you're on your own.

Do you understand?
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
I'm in. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a shit-ton of movies to catch up on.
I'm in.
I usually give a movie at least ten years before considering it for Best Of status, but: in.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I mean, it's just movies you liked. Can be theme oriented, or just personal favorites or whatever. Doesn't have to be the certified ten best of anything.
I am also in as well.
I’m in!
"I'm not a smart man" -F. Gump
Are we starting on Monday?
I was planning on taking the temperature midweek. So might as well ask what everybody else thinks. Might be fun to start it the day after the Oscars, rather than the 3rd. Also, we need a minimum of one more person, and preferably 5-9 more.
I'm in.
My schedule for the next couple of weeks is up in the air, so I'm going to sit this one out. Look forward to seeing the results!
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Well that's a bummer.

If we're only going to have a small amount of folks participating we need to decide what we wanna do here. I would almost wanna lean into a smaller list of films. Just one per day... not decade-comprehensive at all. Just everybody's absolute cream of the crop, and then on to super competitive brackets. Or the other direction, no brackets, and everybody picks like 15 films each.
Damn, I was kind of hoping for the standard 10 pick draft. 5 doesn't seem like enough but I can probably think of 5 more picks. Was hoping for brackets, but whatever the majority wants I'm okay with.
I just noticed this. I'm in if it's not too late.

I have various doc appointments these 2 weeks... but I think I can post around 'em.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Sorry, but I’m in the middle of a cross country move so I can’t commit to a draft right now.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
No brackets. 15 films. Comprehensive.

We could also wait a bit until people's schedules are better.
I'm down for whatever. I'd prefer to wait if that means more people can participate, though.

But it's 5 films all the way. Drafts and list are about exclusivity. Anyone can list 15 great films. Choosing just 5 is the real art!
I'm not sure when we went from 10 films to 5 films, but it must have been ages ago.
(01-31-2020, 07:06 AM)boone daniels Wrote: No brackets. 15 films. Comprehensive.

We could also wait a bit until people's schedules are better.

Isn't this Bailey's gig to run?
...I thought I was just offering my opinion like everyone else, albeit in a truncated form?
Well, one thing is for sure- looks like we should delay by at least a week. I was already planning on just going with the 10th, after the Oscars, but instead I will move to the 17th. If it doesn't happen by then, however, we may just need some more time to build draft enthusiasm.

Also, for the next casting draft- how about Ripley?
Believe it, or not!
(01-31-2020, 02:35 PM)bailey Wrote: Well, one thing is for sure- looks like we should delay by at least a week. I was already planning on just going with the 10th, after the Oscars, but instead I will move to the 17th.  If it doesn't happen by then, however, we may just need some more time to build draft enthusiasm.

Also, for the next casting draft- how about Ripley?

We already did ALIEN a few years ago.  If you're talking ALIENS...oh man, I'd love to draft for Hudson.

(01-31-2020, 02:29 PM)boone daniels Wrote: ...I thought I was just offering my opinion like everyone else, albeit in a truncated form?

sorry.  I read your comment as more of a definitive statement vs a suggestion.
Talented Mr. Ripley. There are at least five great parts, both for men and women, and then a few decent supporting parts. I don't know that we could get two per day out of it, but probably, if we stretched it.
So no brackets would mean no voting, right? I feel weird saying this, since on other sites where I've participated in drafts, like Bloody Disgusting, I've always argued that the most interesting part of the game was actually picking the films, not the voting (There were lots of petty arguments about voting on BD, as well as bad sportsmanship like people drafting popular movies that they didn't even like just to win the game). With that said, I feel like drafting any number of films should build towards...
something. I was disappointed that the Stephen King draft just kind of petered out. I had fun making my list and I had been looking forward to it competing with other lists. So yeah I'm in the camp that would prefer some actual competition (even if my list doesn't make it out of round 1). But like I said before, whatever the final decision is I'll go with it because I've been really looking forward to this draft too. I'll just need to think of some more backups if we're going with 15 picks.

EDIT: Sorry for rambling, just got done with a long day at work.
Now that I think about it there’s a way to do a comprehensive draft and still have brackets. I’m not in favor of having to decide between 15 film lists because I think it’s a lot to consider, and the longer the list the more blind spots there will be. But we can do both, I just have to decide how I will modify the brackets.