Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decade Draft: The 2010's. Sign-Up
(01-31-2020, 11:19 AM)atomtastic Wrote: I'm down for whatever. I'd prefer to wait if that means more people can participate, though.

But it's 5 films all the way. Drafts and list are about exclusivity. Anyone can list 15 great films. Choosing just 5 is the real art!

5 seems too easy, 10 or 15 is where it gets more interesting...especially when a pick eliminates something from the pool.
There will be a lot to choose from. Particularly if we only have 15 people playing. The goal wouldn't be to have to go through 10 rounds before the draft becomes competitive. A smaller draft wouldn't be about availability of picks. It'd be about putting together a streamlined lineup of five which could be effectively judged against someone else's best five. When judging, the longer the list, the more there is consider. I'm not convinced people wouldn't just judge by which draft has the 5-6 films they like best anyway. There would be blindspots in almost every grouping. Also, for theme drafters, it's basically impossible to maintain one going that deep. At the same time, I understand the desire to try to be somewhat comprehensive. To not leave so many great films left unpicked. Which is why I'm considering making the draft as many rounds as needed to at least get to something like 200 films picked; but then on the brackets, letting everyone choose their lineup of 5 to get competitive with. Whether that's their 5 best, or the 5 they can craft the most interesting theme out of, or whatever. (In addition, bracket participation would be optional this time around.) Hopefully that's an attempt at compromise everybody can get behind.

Obviously we'll leave sign-ups open until the 16th. Maybe we'll get more people.
Bailey: when is this starting? Monday the 17th or Monday the 24th?
If it's the 17th, I'm in. If the 24th, I'm out...I'll be on a cruise.
17th, my man. If we can’t muster the necessary participation/enthusiasm by then I guess I need to put a pin it in and try again at a later date.
(02-04-2020, 02:24 PM)bailey Wrote: 17th, my man. If we can’t muster the necessary participation/enthusiasm by then I guess I need to put a pin it in and try again at a later date.

Just an idea:

A lot of great 2019 films aren't on streaming/blu ray/dvd yet, and I won't be seeing them until they ARE available in one of those distribution platforms.  Everything from 2019 should...SHOULD...be available by probably April.  Perhaps there's merit to punting until then?

Regardless, I'm in if it starts on the 17th.
Not to rain on this, but the 17th is Presidents' Day in the US and a holiday for a lot of folks. I know some of us only post from work or greatly curtail our posting when at home, so I don't know if the first day of the draft falling on a holiday is going to have a big turnout.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Oh, it's already been rained on. Not sure where we're at at this point, but god help me if you guys shoehorn in another casting draft ahead of this*. This is the decade draft- the thing that (sort of) started it all. I know there were, like, babe drafts before or whatever, but era specific drafts are what spawned this thing we've been doing for years.

* Who am I kidding? I'd still do it.
I agree, this deserves to be a good, competitive draft. Not sure where all the usual suspects are currently.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(02-10-2020, 02:20 AM)bailey Wrote: I know there were, like, babe drafts before or whatever

Go on....
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
(02-10-2020, 03:12 AM)hp pufncraft Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 02:20 AM)bailey Wrote: I know there were, like, babe drafts before or whatever

Go on....

It is what it says on the tin - people drafting like their five favorite current hot actresses/babes or whatever.

It was not, in retrospect, our finest hour. But the early to mid 2000s were a strange and different time.
home taping is killing music
(02-10-2020, 10:57 AM)boone daniels Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 03:12 AM)hp pufncraft Wrote:

Go on....

It is what it says on the tin - people drafting like their five favorite current hot actresses/babes or whatever.

It was not, in retrospect, our finest hour. But the early to mid 2000s were a strange and different time.

We did a version of that on Bloody-Disgusting several years back. After all the song and movie drafts I participated in over there, it was the only one I actually won (At least until last year, when after 10 years I finally won a Horror draft). Kind of funny. We ended up doing away with it, just because some BD members were extremely sensitive over personal preferences and accused other players of "cheating" when the votes didn't go their way. Drafts can have a strange effect on people.

Back to the Decade Draft, I'd prefer if we did it sooner than later, but I'm still in either way.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Did the date on this change again?
So what is happening with this?
It's on hold because we couldn't get a minimum of 16 nailed down to a particular date. As Judas suggested, maybe we can revisit around April. If I see renewed enthusiasm to have a new draft in the "Ideas for Future Drafts" thread, I may bring it up again in March.