Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
‘SPENSER CONFIDENTIAL’ TRAILER: MARK WAHLBERG FINALLY PLAYS A TOUGH GUY FROM BOSTON
The sound you hear is Robert B Parker spinning in his grave.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
any relation to SPENSER FOR HIRE?
(01-20-2020, 04:02 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: any relation to SPENSER FOR HIRE?

It’s a reboot/remake/reimagining of it, yes.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
From what I can tell - and I know the books VERY well - it's a lifting of the names only. Essentially no relation to the source material other than that.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

That was my impression.
It's pretty dumb. They're obviously going for a younger crowd...and I'm very, very confident most moviegoers under 40 have no idea who the character Spenser is, TV show or the original books. Why bother with the IP when 1) you're changing essentially beyond recognition and 2) no one in your target audience knows who these characters are, anyway/

(01-20-2020, 03:58 PM)MichaelM Wrote: The sound you hear is Robert B Parker spinning in his grave.

I’m not happy about it either, but TBH this seems like the inevitable next stage of the posthumous continuation of every one of his properties.  He was apparently pretty happy with his estate cashing in on all of his works as long as they are profitable.  Doesn’t look like Brian Hegeland seems to have done the same work here as he did with LA Confidential, though.