Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masterpiece G1 Transformers
I was so nerded out by these things I thought I must post a little celebration.
The achievent in mechanical design here can't really be underestimated.  I thought the old toys were pretty imaginitive (well a lot of them.  Some just fold up a bit).  But their humanoid shape was pretty convenient, more often than not.  By and large a fair bit of imagination was needed to make them into 'action figures';  Stuff was oddly shaped and proportioned; different parts were just fused together and mostly for show; humanoid parts like hands and even heads were things you stuck on later some times as they were too inconvenient.
They were working with what they had and a pretty basic design goal at the time.

Then all these characters get put into cartoons and comics.  The artists there assume that humanoid shape and proportions was indended by the original designs and things get very flexible.  These dynamic heros evolve far away from the barest resemblance of their toy origins with every part being able to flex and warp as necessary.  No longer are they weird barrel-chested things with inconvenient cabins and canopies. 
There was never really an expectation that the cartoon versions and the toy versions would match up.  We were just happy the things transformed, really.

Now that things have become these pop culture icons they send some poor buggers in to make all this artistic license in the design work backwards like it was never intended to.  And somehow they do.  Your vehicle, eventually, turns into a genuinely poseable humanoid robot.  Without just fudging it and fusing parts, or including heads and hands like accessories. It's remarkable.

Anyway, people are no doubt aware of this effort as they have been doing it for a while now. They probably wouldn't work as toys. They are also ludicrously expensive, but at this level of complexity I'm not really surprised.  Compared to some collectables you're really getting your money's worth.
Luckily for us tourists of impressive engineering there's youtube videos. (quirky music warning)

OK that's some plastic fanboying out of my system.  Cheers
That Megatron is not the original one. I have it, along with the two Lambourghinis (Sideswipe and Sunstreaker). The original one didn't look all that much like the cartoon version of the character, whereas this one is spot on. Very cool!
Yeah, since this project started it seems they've had a few attempts at some of the characters. I imagine the integration of CAD and 3d printers improves all the time, as well as various other techniques and general quality of the materials. These things being fairly limited run and high priced would probably give some designers the rare chance to be as perfectionist as they want to be. Cool indeed.
that is insanely cool
I like the way these models treat the components as panels and compartments instead of solids. That seems to be the gamechanger-- I really dig the windscreen panels on Prime, and how rotating them allows the model to display them at slightly different proportions depending on the mode.

And then there's this, from 2018:

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
You’d probably like the Sunstreaker Countach they did last year too - it can be either a normal Countach or the customised turbo one like the original toy with the big chrome air vents, and somehow still turns into a close match of the simplified cartoon drawing.

The engineering on them is impressive but I feel like they maybe push the boundaries a bit much, some parts can be very fragile due to the complexity of collapsing tyres, squeezing accessories into hollow spaces with no room for error, etc
(01-26-2020, 10:00 AM)UltraAnxiety Wrote: You’d probably like the Sunstreaker Countach they did last year too - it can be either a normal Countach or the customised turbo one like the original toy with the big chrome air vents, and somehow still turns into a close match of the simplified cartoon drawing.

The engineering on them is impressive but I feel like they maybe push the boundaries a bit much, some parts can be very fragile due to the complexity of collapsing tyres, squeezing accessories into hollow spaces with no room for error, etc

Sunstreaker looks very, very cool.  Looks like Sideswipe got renamed to 'Lambor' for some reason and he looks plenty awesome as well.
(01-26-2020, 01:33 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Sunstreaker looks very, very cool.  Looks like Sideswipe got renamed to 'Lambor' for some reason and he looks plenty awesome as well.

Yeah, they go by the Japanese names, hence Optimus Prime = Convoy, Sideswipe = Lambor, Red Alert = Alert, Laserbeak = Condor. Ravage = Jaguar, etc. If they were ever to do a Jazz he'd be called Meister...but we're never getting a Jazz because Porsche are mega precious jerks about it and refuse to license one because it would 'dilute their brand'. See also Cliffjumper though they might be able to fudge it due to the chibi/penny racer thing not really looking like an actual car too much.
Slightly off-topic, but since we're talking about insanely over-engineered recreations of anime vehicles here's a guy who built an RC flying model of one of the "Flapters" from Laputa: Castle In the Sky.

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Bro. Broooooo! I've been waiting for some modern toy talk on this site, and it happens to be about my favorite thing to collect. I love Transformers.

I could write a full essay but for time I'll keep this short. I was a late bloomer as far as online shopping was concerned, and so didn't start collecting Masterpiece items until a couple of years ago. Within the first six months I went from having no Masterpieces to having about a dozen of them. I was like wow, the normal mainstream Transformers that I had been collecting for years and years are literally cheap childish playthings compared to these marvels of art and engineering. The first one I ordered was Sideswipe, and I when I first handled it and put it through its paces, I though of the couple of other Sideswipes I had and was like, "Uh, you guys suck."

I've kept up with the Masterpiece line ever since. I've gotten a couple of the Bayverse ones, and have all five of the Beast Wars ones. The BW MPs are especially excellent.

Keep this thread going, I want to say more.
Git' in under mah belly!
(01-29-2020, 01:14 PM)cd underbelly Wrote: Bro. Broooooo! I've been waiting for some modern toy talk on this site, and it happens to be about my favorite thing to collect. I love Transformers.

I could write a full essay but for time I'll keep this short. I was a late bloomer as far as online shopping was concerned, and so didn't start collecting Masterpiece items until a couple of years ago. Within the first six months I went from having no Masterpieces to having about a dozen of them. I was like wow, the normal mainstream Transformers that I had been collecting for years and years are literally cheap childish playthings compared to these marvels of art and engineering. The first one I ordered was Sideswipe, and I when I first handled it and put it through its paces, I though of the couple of other Sideswipes I had and was like, "Uh, you guys suck."

I've kept up with the Masterpiece line ever since. I've gotten a couple of the Bayverse ones, and have all five of the Beast Wars ones. The BW MPs are especially excellent.

Keep this thread going, I want to say more.

*3/4 of a year later*

Sure!

I have decided to start up a small HasTak and 3rd party collection (no Fans Toys . . . fuck them) after this thread led me down a wormhole. I’ve got two Predacons (Cang Toys) and the Insecticon trio (New Age) on order, and I’m eyeballing an upcoming Terrorcon set for later this year (TFC).

I’ve no interest in the Bayformers, but my god that Devil’s Savior (Devastator) set is amazballs.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
Better late than never bro.

Yeah, on top of my Masterpiece collecting, I also dove into the bottomless rabbit hole of 3rd Party offerings. Holy shit! Too much good shit, that stuff is truly overwhelming. No official Masterpiece combiners? That's fine, I'll just get a 3rd party Bruticus set. Hmm, but which of the dozen offererings that are all various levels of good do I get?
Git' in under mah belly!
If you could swap out MMC’s Onslaught with Warbutron’s you’d have a super kick ass Bruticus.

I’m finding for the engineering, design, and price, that the legends scale of Newage and Magic Square are what I’m looking for. Those little 3” Insecticons are damn cool. Got a Jazz on the way.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
Speaking of Legends scale and 3rd party, my latest gets were Iron Factory's Spirits of the D.E.C. They are totally neato, and combine to boot. They don't do that in the comics, it was just something I.F. did for fun, to show off basically. I dig it.
Git' in under mah belly!