Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2020 NFL Thread
(03-25-2020, 10:31 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote:
(03-23-2020, 06:40 PM)history buff Wrote: Richard D. have you bought your Tom Brady jersey yet?

After previously investing in jerseys for Josh Freeman and Jameis, I am no longer purchasing jerseys of active players.  I'm a jinx.

Nah, all players turn to shit eventually. Best bet with a jersey is to buy one of player that is retired, preferably dead.

(03-25-2020, 07:56 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: Jameis was a scumbag out of college.  I couldn't imagine buying his jersey.  I'd rock the  Derrick Brooks jersey and that's about it for that franchise.  maybe Steve Young

I always felt like James Wilder was a fucking beast who deserved to play on better teams.

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
Wilder was the lone bright spot on so many bad Bucs teams.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Well the NFL draft will go on as scheduled. The draft already gets monster ratings, and considering that this will be the first real sporting event we've had in weeks I can only imagine what the ratings will be.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/roger...-in-april/
I might quibble with the draft being a "real" sporting event but it'll definitely be the first vaguely sport-like event in a while and for probably a while after that, so you're definitely right it's going to pull eyes.

Heck, the pandemic has even shut down weird and wonky "well, there's nothing else on" sports from outside the US.

I'm not sure why the teams are reluctant to have the draft on schedule. We've had the combine and their entire college careers to look at these players. There are ways to meet with the players virtually. You all don't need to be in the same room to make these decisions.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
I think the problems the GMs have is there is no place for them to meet. Some states would have them not allowed to go into their buildings while others can.

This may be the best thing to happen to these GMs. No chance to over think things with stupid interviews and endless workouts. just look at the damn tape
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
I'm only sad that we won't get to see a sea of Eagles and Jets fans boo in unison when they announce who their team has drafted. Or for that matter boo Goodell when he keeps coming out to announce the picks.
If you cock your head just right, you'll probably be able to hear a faint booing on the wind.

(03-27-2020, 07:49 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I'm not sure why the teams are reluctant to have the draft on schedule.  We've had the combine and their entire college careers to look at these players.  There are ways to meet with the players virtually.  You all don't need to be in the same room to make these decisions.

If anything, not being able to get wowed at a pro day or in an interview might keep teams from falling in love with some middling prospect (like Mitch Trubisky - not to unduly pick on Chicago, because every team has one of those picks, just the first example that came to mind).

It's official the playoffs are being expanded.....https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-owners-approve-playoff-expansion-for-2020-season-adding-one-team-per-conference/

Not really sure how I feel about this. I mean it could be pretty awesome having more games on Wildcard weekend and only 1 team in each conference getting a bye. On the other hand, we're undoubtedly going to get a 7-9 or maybe even 6-10 playoff team at some point, which is shitty on so many levels.
On a college note, spring sports players get an extra year of eligibility. That's a big thing.
Speaking of college football, hearing rumblings that they may not open the season on time and push it back to Jan. Which means the BCS playoff would take place in May! What a time to be alive!