Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Coronavirus Thread, brought to you by Randall Flagg
Thought it might be helpful for us to have a dedicated thread to sharing news and information about what appears to be a nearly-inevitable pandemic.

I'll start off with an excellent, in-depth story authored by an actual doctor:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi...ne/607000/

It's long, but well worth your time. Obviously news and new information are going to be coming at us, but this is a solid summary and sort-of-debunking of a lot of what's flying around right now.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I'm sorry, but this thread desperately needs to be retitled The CHUD Coronavirus Command Center.

Anyway, I plan on just spending all my free time at home not interacting with anybody. Y'know, like usual.
No, this is already an excellent thread title.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I was calling it Captain Tripps just the other day!
The soundtrack for this thead....

I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
The mystery case in norcal where the person hasn't travelled anywhere recently is seriously creeping me out.

I mean, Gods just fucking with us at this point right?
I'm firmly convinced this started on a cruise ship somewhere in Asia. I've always believed those things were just giant incubators waiting for some kind of massive disease to manifest and then spread like wildfire.

I'm hoping that a lot of this is a little media over-exposing something that isn't as giant a threat to the overwhelming % of the world. But if they can't find a vaccine soon or a way to contain it, then I think we should start to get a little more worried.
The mortality rate is 2-3%, and younger, healthier people survive at nearly a 100% rate.

It's almost impossible that a vaccine will be created for this outbreak. It's also pretty much impossible to contain at this point, only delay.

People should be worried, but not panicked.

I'll probably be eating out the rest of this week, in case I have to make my own food for a month. I already wash my hands the instant I get home, since the outside world is gross! If the virus gets any closer I'll probably start wearing gloves any time I leave home.

Other than that... shrug... eat well, sleep well, stay healthy... and if anyone around you sneezes, RUN!
Gamertag: Tweakee
I came down with something a couple weeks ago and still can't shake this damn cough. I haven't dieded, tho.
(02-27-2020, 01:56 AM)farsight Wrote: The mortality rate is 2-3%, and younger, healthier people survive at nearly a 100% rate.

(02-27-2020, 02:01 AM)bradito Wrote: I came down with something a couple weeks ago and still can't shake this damn cough. I haven't dieded, tho.

I am so, so sorry.
Given how the past couple weeks have been, I'm sorry too.
I guess there's probably PBS specials and so forth people can watch, but our antipodean effort is a pretty good primer too.

Why we might not be very comforted by Mike Pence being put in charge of the national response to COVID-19:

Quote:The announcement has cast light on Pence’s record as a lawmaker and his handling of a major public health crisis during his time as governor of Indiana. The worst HIV outbreak in the state’s history happened on his watch in 2015, which critics blamed on Pence’s belated response and his opposition to authorizing a needle-exchange program.

In 2011, as a member of Congress, he voted to cut funding for Planned Parenthood. Two years later, a Planned Parenthood clinic that had been the only HIV-testing center in Scott County, Ind., closed after public health spending cuts, HuffPost reported.

Two months passed from the start of the outbreak in 2015 before Pence declared a public state of emergency.

The spread of the disease was attributed to people injecting Opana, an addictive painkiller, with shared needles. But Pence didn’t agree with federal health experts that distributing clean needles was a good idea.

“I don’t believe effective anti-drug policy involves handing out drug paraphernalia,” he told the Indianapolis Star at the time. Despite assurances from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that it is an effective way to halt the spread of infections and diseases such as HIV and hepatitis B and C, Pence said that if state lawmakers tried to send him a bill for a needle-exchange program, he would veto it.

As cases spiked, Pence reportedly turned to prayer.

After 75 people were confirmed to be HIV-positive, Pence announced he would allow a 30-day needle exchange.

Public health officials weren’t the only ones to warn Pence about delaying action. State Rep. Ed Clere, a fellow Republican, also pushed Pence to approve a needle exchange.

“It was disappointing that it took so much effort to bring the governor on board,” Clere told the New York Times.

In 2018, researchers at Yale University found that the epidemic could have been prevented if Pence and state officials had acted faster. The study received financial support from the federal government.

“Our findings suggest that with earlier action the actual number of infections recorded in Scott County — 215 — might have been brought down to fewer than 56, if the state had acted in 2013, or to fewer than 10 infections, if they had responded to the [hepatitis C] outbreak in 2010-2011,” the paper’s senior author, Forrest W. Crawford, said in a statement at the time. Instead they cut funding for the last HIV testing provider in the county.”

One of the researchers on the study, Yale epidemiologist Gregg Gonsalves, tweeted Wednesday that Pence’s assignment overseeing coronavirus efforts “speaks to a lack of seriousness by the White House.”

Pence also downplayed the risk of smoking as late as 2000, Vox first reported; he wrote in an op-ed on his congressional website: “Despite the hysteria from the political class and the media, smoking doesn’t kill.”
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

I can't wait for the inevitable press conference a few months from now where Pence announces those who died from the virus simply didn't believe in the healing power of prayer enough, and the world is a better place without those nonbelievers.

(02-27-2020, 01:56 AM)farsight Wrote: The mortality rate is 2-3%, and younger, healthier people survive at nearly a 100% rate.

I think the mortality rate almost has to tick down a bit as we learn more and the sample size gets larger, doesn't it? I'm sure there are statistically significant amounts of people that have gotten sick with the virus and gutted it out without seeking a professional diagnosis.

Anyway, time to dust off the ol' CONTAGION blu-ray.
(02-27-2020, 10:38 AM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: I think the mortality rate almost has to tick down a bit as we learn more and the sample size gets larger, doesn't it? I'm sure there are statistically significant amounts of people that have gotten sick with the virus and gutted it out without seeking a professional diagnosis.
If it spread as far and as fast as it sounds like it did before the Chinese government stopped pretending it wasn't a problem, this seems likely to me - of course, with Xi and his buddies in charge of the PR mop-up, we'll probably never actually know.
The mortality/lethality rate can be a misleading stat. A virus with a high lethality rate is likely to be more easily detected, for one thing; COVID-19 appears to have a wildly varying incubation period, with symptoms that are generally hard to pin to a specific virus. Which means more people getting sick because it's harder to detect or identify.

And if we're going full worst case scenario, 2% of the U.S. population is 7 million people. That's not a dismissable number. (That, of course, assumes a 100% infection rate, which seems, to put it mildly, very unlikely.)

(02-27-2020, 10:38 AM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: I think the mortality rate almost has to tick down a bit as we learn more and the sample size gets larger, doesn't it?  I'm sure there are statistically significant amounts of people that have gotten sick with the virus and gutted it out without seeking a professional diagnosis.

Yeah, it's always a rough figure. Apparently, it's common (10% or more) for people who contract this disease to never exhibit ANY symptoms, so those people are going to be hard to detect.

The mortality rate is also going to be much higher in regions of the world with poor health care. 

Basically, the people acting like it's an apocalyptic plague are overreacting, and the people acting like it's nothing are underreacting.

Sadly, the US government is largely in one of those groups.
Can't wait to get my coronavirus updates from America's most trusted news source:

[Image: ERvmIJ_XkAEtp_Z?format=jpg&name=large]

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/f...te-hegseth
How can you post that image without providing a link to the actual story?!?

Updated! Its from last year, so time will tell if he changes his tune staring down the barrel of a pandemic.
(02-27-2020, 11:03 AM)farsight Wrote: Yeah, it's always a rough figure. Apparently, it's common (10% or more) for people who contract this disease to never exhibit ANY symptoms, so those people are going to be hard to detect.

I've also heard that there are likely cases that have gone unreported because the symptoms never become bad enough for the person to think it's anything more than a normal cold, so they never go to the doctor and just ride it out.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
"Presidents Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush and Obama trusted Tony Fauci to be their top adviser on infectious disease, and the nation's most trusted communicator to the public. If Trump is changing that, it is a threat to public health and safety."
https://twitter.com/RonaldKlain/status/1...4997449728
Bureaucratic delays are also affecting the spread of the virus:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot...d-for-days

Quote:The first suspected U.S. case of a patient getting the new coronavirus through "community spread" – with no history of travel to affected areas or exposure to someone known to have the COVID-19 illness — was left undiagnosed for days because a request for testing wasn't initially granted, according to officials at UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, Calif.

The patient in Northern California is now the 60th confirmed case of the new coronavirus in the United States. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention disclosed the latest case Wednesday evening, as President Trump assigned Vice President Pence to lead the administration's response to the disease.

....The new patient, who lives in Solano County and has not been identified, was transferred to UC Davis Medical in Sacramento County from another hospital earlier this month. Staff at UC Davis then suspected the patient might be infected with the coronavirus that has caused more than 2,800 deaths.

"Upon admission, our team asked public health officials if this case could be COVID-19" the hospital said. "We requested COVID-19 testing by the CDC, since neither Sacramento County nor CDPH [California Department of Public Health] is doing testing for coronavirus at this time. Since the patient did not fit the existing CDC criteria for COVID-19, a test was not immediately administered. UC Davis Health does not control the testing process."

My gut tells me the NoCal guy may not be entirely honest about how he may have been infected.

I also may have seen too many episodes of House.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
Cruise ship stowaway? Secret Chinese mail-order bride in his basement?

Mail-order meth delivery?
...Well, this all seems fine:

https://twitter.com/brianbeutler/status/...8892830720

The gist: the team sent to receive the Americans infected w/ coronavirus on their arrival in California was not properly trained nor did they practice safe quarantine procedures, including leaving CA on commercial flights.
^ TOTALLY not how Charles Campion spread his superflu around either, or anything!
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

The food critic?
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
https://the-stand.fandom.com/wiki/Charles_Campion
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

Everyone, we can relax. COVID-19 is going to miraculously disappear, anytime soon now.

Also:

[Image: screen-shot-2020-02-27-at-22109-pm-gy6ush.png]

(02-26-2020, 10:48 PM)MichaelM Wrote: I'll start off with an excellent, in-depth story authored by an actual doctor:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi...ne/607000/

Thanks for this. Really interesting read.

Not sure how many UK chewers are still around but things are starting to get a little unsettling. I have two colleagues who have just flown from Italy who have been told to self isolate for a fortnight. All travel to our different locations has been suspended and if anyone in my building has symptoms we may be shutting down for two weeks to a month. That's a huge decision for what is an enormous financial company. 

I'm still not ready to start cracking open skulls and feasting on the goo inside but I'm starting to get nervous.

My main concern is my wife who is immune suppressed folowing a kideny transplant. She is currently on maternity leave until July so there's reduced risk of exposure but still.

Then there's the economic fallout. Fortunately the UK is part of the largest trading block in the world so... oh no wait...
That's rough. Hopefully you won't have to quarantine yourself within your own home!
The Washington Post revealed that health officials met Americans evacuated from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the disease without proper training or protective gear, according to a whistleblower account.

Highlights:

Quote:Officials at the Department of Health and Human Services sent more than a dozen workers to receive the first Americans evacuated from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, without proper training for infection control or appropriate protective gear, according to a whistleblower complaint.

The workers did not show symptoms of infection and were not tested for the virus, according to lawyers for the whistleblower, a senior HHS official based in Washington who oversees workers at the Administration for Children and Families, a unit within HHS.

The whistleblower is seeking federal protection, alleging she was unfairly and improperly reassigned after raising concerns about the safety of these workers to HHS officials, including those within the office of Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar. She was told Feb. 19 that if she does not accept the new position in 15 days, which is March 5, she would be terminated.

The whistleblower has decades of experience in the field, received two HHS department awards from Azar last year and has received the highest performance evaluations, her lawyers said.

The complaint was filed Wednesday with the Office of the Special Counsel, an independent federal watchdog agency. The whistleblower’s lawyers provided a copy of a redacted 24-page complaint to The Washington Post. A spokesman for the Office of the Special Counsel confirmed that it has received the complaint and assigned the case.

The complaint alleges HHS staffers were “improperly deployed” and were “not properly trained or equipped to operate in a public health emergency situation.” The complaint also alleges the workers were potentially exposed to coronavirus because appropriate steps were not taken to protect them and staffers were not trained in wearing personal protective equipment, even though they had face-to-face contact with returning passengers. The workers were in contact with passengers in an airplane hangar where evacuees were received and on two other occasions: when they helped distribute keys for room assignments and hand out colored ribbons for identification purposes.

In some instances, the teams were working alongside personnel from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in “full gown, gloves and hazmat attire,” the complaint said.

“We take all whistleblower complaints very seriously and are providing the complainant all appropriate protections under the Whistleblower Protection Act. We are evaluating the complaint and have nothing further to add at this time,” HHS spokeswoman Caitlin Oakley said.

The whistleblower, in her complaint, states that “appropriate steps were not taken to quarantine, monitor, or test [the workers] during their deployment and upon their return home.” The repatriated Americans were among those evacuated from Wuhan and quarantined on military bases in California and Texas because they were considered at high risk for contracting the flu-like illness.

About 14 personnel from the Administration for Children and Families, or ACF, were sent to March Air Force base in Riverside County, Calif., and another team of about 13 ACF personnel were sent to Travis Air Force in Solano County, Calif., according to the complaint and the whistleblower’s lawyer, Ari Wilkenfeld. In Solano County this week, the first U.S. patient was confirmed to be infected with coronavirus who did not travel to a region where it is spreading or have known contact with someone diagnosed with the disease.

Several people within HHS voiced objections to sending the ACF personnel to receive passengers, according to a person familiar with the conversations, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private deliberations.

A second person familiar with the situation said the workers were not tested for coronavirus because none of them met the criteria, which was restricted at that time to people with symptoms and either a recent trip to China or close contact with a person confirmed to be infected with covid19. If the workers had exhibited symptoms, appropriate protocol would have been followed.

The deployments took place Jan. 28 to 31, around the time when the first planeload of evacuees arrived at March, and Feb. 2 to Feb. 7, during the time when additional flights were arriving at Travis. The planes each carried about 200 Americans who were repatriated from Wuhan.

After their deployments, the workers returned to their normal duties, some taking commercial airline flights to return to their offices around the country, the lawyers said.