• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Coronavirus Thread, brought to you by Randall Flagg
Italy is undercounting thousands of deaths caused by the coronavirus:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/italys-coro...1585767179
Everything is clearly fine:

https://mobile.twitter.com/davidmwessel/...5210066946

it's so bad, it's great.
https://twitter.com/SageRosenfels18/stat...8572578816

If Overlord's many links and words were a bit much for you, maybe Matt Taibi can offer a quick overview on why the bailout is scary.

https://youtu.be/OoVU6V58Nro?t=1092
Trump is keeping us inside this month only to say he tried it. Once the horrific numbers come in he’ll throw his hands up and say what’s the point and reopen everything. 2-3 million people will die. They’re ready to lose 2-3 million people, blame blue governors and China, build some memorials and get everything back to “normal” by winter. Read between the lines. He keeps insisting that “this has to end soon”. Quickest end is Herd Immunity.
https://mobile.twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/s...7049103361

I used the CDC's recommended instructions and made myself a cloth face mask today. I don't have any plans to go out into public, until Tuesday when I have to go back to work. It's weird that this is the stage we find ourselves.
(Yesterday, 05:10 PM)serpico jones Wrote: Trump is keeping us inside this month only to say he tried it. Once the horrific numbers come in he’ll throw his hands up and say what’s the point and reopen everything. 2-3 million people will die. They’re ready to lose 2-3 million people, blame blue governors and China, build some memorials and get everything back to “normal” by winter. Read between the lines. He keeps insisting that “this has to end soon”. Quickest end is Herd Immunity.

I know we can't ever really underestimate the stupidity or callousness of Trump's next move, but all morality aside, that would be a phenomenally self-defeating move.  No incumbent president is ever going to win reelection after a million Americans die in a single crisis that is not a full blown foreign invasion.  Every single voter in America would personally know someone who died from this disease, and voters hold the president accountable for their personal circumstances at the polls even when they are not actually responsible for those circumstances.
(11 hours ago)schwartz Wrote: I know we can't ever really underestimate the stupidity or callousness of Trump's next move, but all morality aside, that would be a phenomenally self-defeating move.  No incumbent president is ever going to win reelection after a million Americans die in a single crisis that is not a full blown foreign invasion.  Every single voter in America would personally know someone who died from this disease, and voters hold the president accountable for their personal circumstances at the polls even when they are not actually responsible for those circumstances.

This is exactly what I've been thinking. Most people only have a response to something if it affects them personally. With a crisis this big, there's no insulating the president from it, so it makes no sense that they're not trying to save as many lives as they can.  If the plan involves exposing everybody as fast as possible, it's not re-election Trump is trying to secure... though I'm not sure if he's self-aware enough to admit that to himself.  With the scenario serpico is imagining, nothing would ever be the same-- and I can't even believe the rich fucks behind the scenes would be pointing him in that direction. Because 3 million people don't just die and then the economy goes back to the way it was. The ramifications of that would be staggering, and last for years. It would not be back to business by 2021.  Honestly I think what's actually happening is nobody knows what the fuck to do, and so we're just getting a bunch of half-measures.  There's no real plan, just vague hopes.
(10 hours ago)bailey Wrote: Honestly I think what's actually happening is nobody knows what the fuck to do, and so we're just getting a bunch of half-measures.  There's no real plan, just vague hopes.

This is the answer.

Really it's the answer to every question about Dildo Pumpkins and his Legion of Dumb.

The Republican Party is a cult whose motto is, "If you don't like reality, ignore it." That has worked for them when America could coast on the accomplishments of the smart leaders of the past (FDR through Carter, generalizing), and the efforts of the smart leaders they villainized (B. Clinton, Obama). 

But they can't jingle a set of keys now. So while we suffer through a coronavirus pandemic, we're also forced to watch a Republican pants-shitting epidemic.
Gamertag: Tweakee
And we're all glued to the news like never before. Production of pop culture distractions has ceased.
Globally.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.