Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
The Coronavirus Thread, brought to you by Randall Flagg
We're currently at the same level of cases/day as we were at the -worst- point, pre-November.

Which obviously means it's time to start killing more people! Woohoo! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Gamertag: Tweakee
Excellent news:

https://twitter.com/marykbruce/status/13...5682925578

Quote:NEW: President Biden says the US expects to have enough vaccine for all adult Americans by the end of May. That's two months earlier than expected.

White House Chief of Staff Ronald Klain responded:

https://twitter.com/WHCOS/status/1366870053531090946

Quote:Amazing, but even more, GOVERNING.  

Use of the Defense Production Act.  Work with J&J to get Merck involved in fill and finish.  Over 450 FEDERALLY-funded/operated vaccination centers opened in Feb.  Mobilizing DOD, FEMA, USPHS....
Gee, it's almost like we could have been at this point months ago, or something.
Here's an article on the Merck/Johnson & Johnson news:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/20...rtnership/

Quote:President Biden announced Tuesday that pharmaceutical giant Merck will help make Johnson & Johnson’s single-shot coronavirus vaccine — an unusual pact between fierce rivals that is among several steps intended to boost supply as Biden pushes toward having enough shots for every adult by the end of May.

Biden hailed the development as an example of industry coming together for the common good, in keeping with his frequent calls for a stronger emergency footing to combat the pandemic.

“Two of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world who are usually competitors are working together on the vaccine,” he said in remarks delivered at the White House. ``This is the type of collaboration between companies we saw in World War II.''

Biden’s vow to produce enough vaccine for all U.S. adults by the end of May is two months faster than his previous goal of the end of July. But the Merck deal on its own is not expected to ramp up fast enough to impact vaccine supplies significantly in the next three months.

Biden officials have successfully pushed Johnson & Johnson in other ways: The company and its contract manufacturers are moving to round-the-clock production, posting full-time technicians in plants to immediately repair any machinery breakdowns, and accepting daily logistical help from the Department of Defense, the administration said.

``Among the things I learned when I came into office was that Johnson & Johnson was behind in manufacturing and production,'' Biden said. ``We had the potential to have a highly effective vaccine to accompany the two existing vaccines. It simply wasn’t coming fast enough.''

Rather than a vastly accelerated timeline, Biden’s revised May target reflects his administration’s new confidence in the schedules set forth by all of the vaccine manufacturers. An administration official said Johnson & Johnson’s latest goal is to produce 94 million doses of its single-shot vaccine by the end of May -— that is about 7 million doses ahead of the schedule in its contract, which calls for delivery of 87 million doses by the end of May and the full 100 million by the end of June.
Biden wants all teachers vaccinated by the end of the month:

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-sets-goal-f...nM_yT_fqx_

Quote:President Biden wants teachers across the United States to have at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine by the end of March. That would help reopen schools, which Biden described as a “national imperative” in his remarks, made at the White House on Tuesday afternoon.

“Let's treat in-person learning like the essential service that it is,” he said.
Yes, Keith, underrepresented people in Texas who are taking the brunt of the virus simply shouldn't get vaccinations because the powers that be happily ignore them.  Naturally, I'm being very sarcastic.

Liberals will eventually get stronger footing in Texas, but stuff like this doesn't help.

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/statu...3015268353

Quote:Why are we wasting vaccinations on Texas if Texas has decided to join the side of the virus?

I follow a lot of Texas liberals on social media who have been completely befuddled by multiple comments along these lines regarding the grid failures and Abbott reopening everything.
Yeah, I think I prefer the reasoning of, "Why do you keep electing people that are trying to KILL YOU?!?"
(03-02-2021, 04:20 PM)bluelouboyle Wrote: Good news. The head of public health England has said the vaccines may stop transmission 'almost completely.'

“May” being the operative word since as I understand it they don’t have enough data yet to distinguish the effects of the vaccination programme versus lockdown. Still, lockdown is coming to an end so I guess give it a month or two and we’ll find out!

It’s taken four days but I am finally coming out of the fluey symptoms, torpor, weakness and debilitation that I presume were side effects of the Pfizer shot I took. No priapism, however, so clearly they decided against throwing in a bit of sugar to help the medicine go down.
The COVID situation in Brazil is getting worse and worse:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/bra...=undefined

Quote:Covid-19 has already left a trail of death and despair in Brazil, one of the worst in the world. Now, a year into the pandemic, the country is setting another wrenching record.

No other nation that experienced such a major outbreak is still grappling with record-setting death tolls and a health care system on the brink of collapse. Many other hard-hit nations are, instead, taking tentative steps toward a semblance of normalcy.

But Brazil is battling a more contagious variant that has trampled one major city and is spreading to others, even as Brazilians toss away precautionary measures that could keep them safe.

On Tuesday, Brazil recorded more than 1,700 Covid-19 deaths, the highest single-day toll of the pandemic.

“The acceleration of the epidemic in various states is leading to the collapse of their public and private hospital systems, which may soon become the case in every region of Brazil,” the national association of health secretaries said in a statement. “Sadly, the anemic rollout of vaccines and the slow pace at which they’re becoming available still does not suggest that this scenario will be reversed in the short term.”

And the news just got worse for Brazil — and possibly the world.

Preliminary studies suggest that the variant that swept through the city of Manaus is not only more contagious, but it also appears able to infect some people who have already recovered from other versions of the virus. And the variant has slipped Brazil’s borders, showing up in two dozen other countries and in small numbers in the United States.

Although trials of a number of vaccines indicate they can protect against severe illness even when they do not prevent infection with the variant, most of the world has not been inoculated. That means even people who had recovered and thought they were safe for now might still be at risk, and that world leaders might, once again, be lifting restrictions too soon.
I don’t often link to Max Boot, but when I do, it’s when he’s dunking on Ben Shapiro:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MaxBoot/statu...0067695621

The real issue may boil down to how people see the fundamental role of government.

There's no natural law that says that the government needs to work for the welfare of the people. It could, as Shapiro apparently wished, simply exist to provide police protection to those with property and protect its borders. I think that's noxious and backwards, but it's not like I have a stone tablet that says that human welfare should have intrinsic value to a society. Psychopaths are free to believe governments should be psychopathic, I guess.

I believe these bad faith baby-men think the government should focus on what's important, like whining about "cancel culture" during a pandemic that's killed 500K Americans.
Many people have been forced to come to grips with the pandemic being real by their loved ones getting ill or dying.

The problem with people like Shapiro is that they only love themselves, so it's a lot less likely.