ISHTAR
THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN
HUDSON HAWK
LAST ACTION HERO
JOHN CARTER
TOMORROWLAND
THE BFG
BLADE RUNNER 2049

Lots of money lost, sure, but not necessarily the worst films of all time by a long shot. 
What are your most enjoyed and beloved yet ignored films and why?  How did they win you over?  What did they do wrong, or right?
Most recent that comes to mind is DOCTOR SLEEP.

Admittedly, out of your list I’ve only seen HEAVEN’S GATE, specifically the directors cut Criterion edition.
Munchausen is a must see. Absolutely delightful, start to finish. Great, weird cast (with an unknown lead who simply crushes it), and some of the most intricate production design of all time. Overflowing with creativity and imagination.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
When it was released, BARON MUNCHAUSEN was only playing in three theaters on the entire east coast. A buddy and I drove two hours to Newport, Rhode Island to see it, and we had a great, great time. It also introduced me to Newport, Rhode Island - a coastal city I still love to this day.

(03-09-2020, 05:13 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Most recent that comes to mind is DOCTOR SLEEP.

Admittedly, out of your list I’ve only seen HEAVEN’S GATE, specifically the directors cut Criterion edition.

Good choice.  I liked it too.  Still need to see that Expanded Cut.

I was shocked to have also really liked HEAVEN'S GATE, via that Criterion edition.  I always liked Cimino, despite the nutbar he was said to have been.
First one that came to mind is the Spielberg Tintin movie and that boat movie with the Austrian guy who was in Gladiator. Those were mighty fine films.
I had a great time with THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN. That and WAR HORSE back to back was like getting the Spielberg I grew up with back again.

Just perusing the list of movies they've covered on the podcast HOW DID THIS GET MADE? and seeing which ones I've actually legitimately enjoyed (on one level or another)...

THE ROOM (sort of)
SUPERMAN III
SPIDER-MAN 3
COBRA
REINDEER GAMES
NOTHING BUT TROUBLE (sort of)
HOWARD THE DUCK (sort of)
HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH
HUDSON HAWK
A VIEW TO A KILL
RUNAWAY
MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE
PERFECT
LIFEFORCE
SOLARBABIES
SLEEPWALKERS
THE WRAITH
CHOPPING MALL
ACTION JACKSON
DRAGON BLADE
JAWS 3-D
STAR CRASH
BLADE RUNNER: 2049 is the big one. That should have been a success.

Others that come to mind that I'll defend as being kinda awesome:
THE 13TH WARRIOR
BLACKHAT
THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK
ENDER'S GAME
GODS OF EGYPT
THE MAN FROM UNCLE
STREET FIGHTER.

It's a bad film, which i could tell even as a kid. However i've slowly begun to appreciate its charm over the year. Raul Julia chews up scenery like a pro.
VALERIAN!!!
SUNSHINE
SOLARIS
THE FOUNTAIN
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(03-09-2020, 05:52 PM)Nooj Wrote: VALERIAN!!!

MY BROTHER!
(03-09-2020, 05:53 PM)Felix Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 05:52 PM)Nooj Wrote: VALERIAN!!!

MY BROTHER!

WITH THE EXACT LEADS IT HAS!  NO CHANGES!!!
Wanna head out to Shell Beach? SO BEAUTIFUL.

The Man From Uncle. I never get tired watching this. Cavil is so suave. Alicia Vikander drunk dancing.
Y’all are picking good movies that underperformed. I’ve got a real disaster for you, Erik the Viking! It’s basically Terry Jones trying to be Terry Gilliam, with a bunch of atonal weird elements tossed together. It’s violent and mean, then it stops for some bizarre kids comedy, then you get incredibly weird Norse cosmology with monsters and Gods (all envisioned as chubby little kids with Little Lord Fauntleroy clothes and flowing silver hair). Starring Tim Robbins as a Viking. It’s a movie that opens with a ten minute rape joke!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I remember liking ERIC THE VIKING but haven't seen it since it came out on VHS.
It's not very good. It's one of those 'too much' movies. I rather like John Cleese's bored take on a Viking conquerer but that's about it. Most of the movie feels like Jones is trying to do everything at once, so it just becomes an overstuffed mess. I admire its ambition but not its execution.
In honor of the passing of Max Von Sydow I'll add JUDGE DREDD. Never really read any of the comics so the fact that it deviates from those never mattered to me. Certainly has its flaws, less Schneider would have been nice. Overall though it has a pulpy vibe and a fun over the top villain in Assante. Great Silvestri score, too.
I don't even care that Blade Runner 2049 didn't make it's money, in fact it's even more fitting. It's a worthy sequel to the original.

Last Action Hero is an odd one. Built specifically to be an acidic satire of action films it somehow gets lost in it's own world and tries to become an action film anyway. Basically spends the first half insulting the audience for wanting to go see it. No wonder everyone stayed away.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Yes, "no Schneider" would've been even nicer.
And Assante seemed to be having a blast. "Send in the clones!"

My irrational enjoyment of LAST ACTION HERO doesn't stop me from calling it a fairly unorganized mess with a couple dozen elements that just don't work (DeVito as a cartoon cat, not enough Noonan, the Bogart bit, lots of jokes that don't land). I still have a fun time with it, though, despite that. And I miss McTiernan's sense of visuals.
Any fans of Final Fantasy The Spirits Within here?
THE LAST ACTION HERO is a recast of the main kid away from being a 'good' movie. He's terrible. Charles Dance works his ass off to make the film work, though, and the third act in the real world is really quite solid.
How are we on the underperformers of John Carpenter?

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA: Damn wonderful to this day, I think.
MEMOIRS OF AN INVISIBLE MAN: Really enjoy it, though the ending lacks.
IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS: Quite good, really. Creepyish!
VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED: More enjoyable than I remembered in a b-movie way.
ESCAPE FROM L.A.: Well, at least I liked the ending.
VAMPIRES: Dopey but fun whacked out horror western. Sheryl Lee owns.
GHOSTS OF MARS: Not for me.
THE WARD: See above.

(03-09-2020, 06:54 PM)Felix Wrote: Any fans of Final Fantasy The Spirits Within here?

Raising my CGI hand.
Not a fan of LAST ACTION HERO, but it's one of the more fascinating movies to read about. This oral history of it from a few years ago is a great read:

https://weminoredinfilm.com/2015/09/08/a...od-part-1/

https://weminoredinfilm.com/2015/09/11/a...le-part-2/

Shane Black kills me with his take on the finished film:

Quote:It was a mess. There was a movie in there, struggling to emerge, which would have pleased me. But what they’d made was a jarring, random collection of scenes. The casting of the little boy was one of the absolute misfires of Western culture.
(03-09-2020, 06:59 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Not a fan of LAST ACTION HERO, but it's one of the more fascinating movies to read about. This oral history of it from a few years ago is a great read:

https://weminoredinfilm.com/2015/09/08/a...od-part-1/

https://weminoredinfilm.com/2015/09/11/a...le-part-2/

Shane Black kills me with his take on the finished film:

Quote:It was a mess. There was a movie in there, struggling to emerge, which would have pleased me. But what they’d made was a jarring, random collection of scenes. The casting of the little boy was one of the absolute misfires of Western culture.

Shane's spot on regarding the boy.  He's wretched and almost sinks the film entirely.
IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS and COLOR OUT OF SPACE make a great double feature.
I'll echo Judas's pick of THE 13th WARRIOR. One of my favorite movies despite it's flaws. Shame we'll never get a complete understanding of what happened behind the scenes now that Michael Crichton is dead. I would love an oral history with the cast and production crew.
Not entirely sure the kid is to blame for Last Action Hero. Everyone can take some blame for how it turned out. Except maybe Charles Dance. The kid's fine for the first half, then ends up being a drag when the film morphs into an Arnold actioner.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
absolutely zero blame for the film can be attributed to Charles Dance.  He's the only facet of the film that absolutely, positively, 100% works.

His acting here is sublime.

Speed Racer?

Speed Racer.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

(03-09-2020, 07:46 PM)ska oreo Wrote: Speed Racer?

Speed Racer.

One of my worst theatrical experiences.  It deserved to bomb.  More power to you if you loved it...again, it'd be a boring world if we all liked the same things.
(03-09-2020, 07:47 PM)Judas Booth Wrote:

Speed Racer.

One of my worst theatrical experiences.  It deserved to bomb.  More power to you if you loved it...again, it'd be a boring world if we all liked the same things.

Oh Judas.  We've spent close to 10 years arguing about this.  I mean you're wrong.  But it's understandable.

Not everyone can appreciate the majesty of The Wachowski's super awesome anime time special.  

ALSO SCOTT PILGRIM , cause duh.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Even though Arnold had had some success with comedies previously, slapping the PG-13 on HERO just zapped a lot of interest in seeing it. Nobody wanted that from an Arnold action film back then. Mix that with the toxic reviews and coming just a week after JURASSIC PARK and that was a wrap.
Pretty much all Joe Dante movies, but especially:

Explorers

Innerspace

Matinee

Small Soldiers

The Hole
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(03-09-2020, 07:50 PM)ska oreo Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 07:47 PM)Judas Booth Wrote:

Speed Racer.

Oh Judas.  We've spent close to 10 years arguing about this.  I mean you're wrong.  But it's understandable.

Not everyone can appreciate the majesty of The Wachowski's super awesome anime time special.  

ALSO SCOTT PILGRIM , cause duh.

Judas is completely correct about SPEED RACER.

And you, sir, are completely wrong about SCOTT PILGRIM.  Tongue
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(03-09-2020, 07:51 PM)hammerhead Wrote: Pretty much all Joe Dante movies, but especially:

Explorers

Innerspace

Matinee

Small Soldiers

The Hole

oh man, INNERSPACE.  That's a great one.